Arrivals And Departures review by Silverstein

• Released: Jul 3, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Silverstein: Arrivals And Departures

This band has changed a lot since their 2005 album "Discovering the Waterfront" and it was for the worse. I was kind of disapointed with this album when I first heard it. Because I knew they could do much better. Silverstein has always been one of my favorite bands because I always thought they were different then most "emo" bands. In "Discovering the Waterfront" they made each song interesting and worth listening to. Now, they've became a lot more mainstream with their music on this album. I hope Silverstein does their all on future albums compared to this one.

The lyrics in this album aren't as interesting as I thought they would. They're more like a bunch of poetry that were turned into songs in my opinion. His voice has also changed a bit. His singing voice is a little more mellow and uninteresting and his screaming is just horrible compared to "Discovering the Waterfront." But, I guess he bases his lyrics with events that are taking place in his life. A good bit of the songs off this album are relating to relationships. Others are about going on tours and not getting to see family or friends. So I guess my overall impression on the lyrics are that the songs are portraed as poetry and Shane using sad vocals to sing them.

This albums does compare to other albums. It's probably their worst they've done. And they do compare to other artists, they're trying to be just like other bands to fit in. There are a couple songs on this album that I actually like, the first three on the album: Sound Of The Sun, Bodies And Words, and If You Could See Into My Soul. These songs actually have a little bit of hardcore in them. But compared to the other songs I would say that Silverstein's lost their hardcore side. The only thing I love about this album is that it's a full-lengthed one, there last one: 18 Candles: The Early Years was a just an album of previous albums and extra tracks. The thing that I hate about A&D is that Silverstein didn't do what they're capable of. It's kind of like they rushed the album so fans wouldn't be complaining. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't really care that much, it's on my computer and I don't like it as much as the other albums. So, my overall impression is that Silverstein didn't do their all on this album and they need to take time with recording.