Arrivals And Departures review by Silverstein

• Released: Jul 3, 2007
Silverstein: Arrivals And Departures

As being a fan of this band for 2 1/2 years, listening to this album quite surprised me. When I first listened to the opening track, I was shocked, in the best possible way, in how much better Silverstein has grown as musicians. The guitars seemed less sloppy, clean bass line, relaxed drum beat, and good singing. The sound is very similar to their last 2 albums, but they have grown as musicians making this album come together much better.

The lyrics are the worst part of this album. They don't seem to branch off or talk about something that has any particular meaning (Breaking up with girls and wanting to kill them). They are very repetitive and kind of bland. Shane Told on the other hand, is a very good vocalist and makes up for the not so hot lyrics. He can go from a very low almost growl scream, to clean singing in no time. He has good control and a unique voice on top of it.

Yes, it is still Silverstein. I remember reading Alternative Press's most anticipated albums of 2007 and Shane Told saying that he is as big of a Beatles fan as of a Metallica fan, and you can see that in this record. It has slow songs, fast songs, screams, and singing. I really like how much they have grown up over the past 2 years. They made the guitars especially, much more technical. Even a pretty cool little guitar solo in My Disaster. Everyone is saying that they are trying to be radio friendly, and I don't see it. To be honest, I think it is still Silverstein. They want to impress their fans, and they are doing that.

Jules24
    I guess its alright they have a few sick songs like sound of the sun, bodies and words and my disaster but hopefully their other cds will be better
    Headbanger_1
    I love this cd!!! It's amazing, just as all Silverstein stuff is. I have to say that yeah, they've softened up on a few songs, but they also had some heavier stuff. And there was a lot more of a produced sound on this one. Not enough to ruin it, but enought to throw in some fazing effects and stuff.
    Ian531
    for one, they are not a terrible band, i have no prob with one having ones opinions, but if ur going to have opinions, have good reasons for them, so why do u think silverstein is a terrible band? and yea, i dont know what ur talking bout, Silverstein had heavy songs on the album, but not heavier than their old songs, like "weak and the wounded" and "when broken is easily fixed" they did not get heavier that that, and i dont think like the "more produced" sound as you refered to it is good, i like their sound from "When Broken is Easily Fixed" the best. and i dont know what u mean by fazing effects, i think what u are refering to is the "Phaser" effect that is used in "sound of the sun" and u can use that effect even if it isnt well produced at all, they used a synth pad in "Dawn of the Fall" which was very crudley produced.
    Ian531
    once again, why is that so? and i dont beleive listening to a CD can be considered "witnessing"