Arrivals And Departures review by Silverstein

• Released: Jul 3, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Silverstein: Arrivals And Departures

Silverstein is one of my favorite bands, and don't get me wrong their a great band, but this CD is not anywhere near as good as Discovering The Waterfront, the vocals are terrible and nothing really stands out. Their are no good guitar solos during the entire album even though there is a semi decent one in True Romance, it doesnt prove anything because any good guitar player can play it. They stick to the screamo sound, which is starting to get old but I can deal with it, but I was hoping for a repeat of balance between screaming and singing, but unfortunatley there is no chemistry. I was also hoping they would stay out of the emo mainstream deal but again I was let down after briefly listening to some of the songs. When I say briefly listening to I mean, such as int My Disaster, I as trying not to laugh at it. I made it through some of the songs but most of them just werent good enough to waste my tome to listen to all of it.

This is lyrically the worst Silverstein CD out there. even 18 Candles had better lyrics that carried throughout the song. Most of the lyrics are not catchy and change meaning throughout the song, such as in True Romance, he sings about a beautiful girl and a lonely husband and all of a suddenly, emo mainstream strikes again, with lyrics dealing with "Blood" and "What have you done". makes no sense and I'm noit a fan of violent, emo lyrics. In the booklet for the special edition Discovering the Waterfront CD, Shane describes how cutting yourself and suicide are wrong and how it shouldn't be done and how all the songs on Discovering The Waterfront don't deal with it, but I'm still trying to figure out how that works with this CD.

I pre-ordered the CD, since I am a Silverstein Junkie, so to speak, and purchased the 7" Inch Vinyl. it was not a disappointment, it's very cool, but that's about all it's good for. I really wish this was just a preview of upcoming Silverstein songs instead of the real CD because I'm now anxiously awaiting their next release and hoping it will not disappoint me like this one has. Shanes vocals really killed the CD and the lyrics did not help. I really do like Silverstein, Just not Arrivals & Departures.

tfk011
    tfk011
    DiveRightIn63
    tfk011 wrote: WOW SOME OF YOU KIDS AMAZE ME WITH YOUR COMMENTS LIKE "THIS ALBUM BLOWS" AND "A WASTE OF 14$" MAN IF YOU THINK ITS BAD ON FIRST LISTEN, I THINK ALOT OF PEOPLE DID BUT IT TAKES MULTIPLE LISTENS TO GROW ON YOU. AND YES SHANE DID END HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH JULIA JUST PRIOR TO RECORDING THIS ALBUM AND HE IS NOT WITH ANYONE ELSE RIGHT NOW, IM FRIENDS WITH THE BOTH OF THEM AND I WAS SAD TO SEE THEM BREAK UP AS HE ASKED HER OUT JUST BEFORE PROM NIGHT AND WAS SURPRISED SHE SAID YES BUT I GUESS HIS CONSTANT TOURING TOOK ITS TOLL BUT I CAN SEE THEM GETTING BACK TOGETHER. BUT YA I STILL LIKE EVERY SILVERSTEIN ALBUM AND OBVIOUSLY DISCOVERING THE WATERFRONT WAS PERFECT BUT HOW COULD YOU EXPECT THEM OR ANYONE TO TOP THAT. I BELIEVE THIS ALBUM WAS THE RIGHT SOUND AND TRANSITION FOR THEM AND I THINK SOME OF YOU LIKE THEIR FIRST ALBUM JUST CUZ YOURE SOME HARDCORE KID WHO LIKES MORE SCREAMING.
    wow, you amaze me with your inability to press that one little 'capslock' key we're all familiar with.
    YaniraeffenVamp
    I personaly think this is one of their best albums besides the one where "me heroine" was on. that song is an amazingly beautifull song. As for this album, my fav song would have to be "if i could see into your soul" really good song. Although this cd also has some slow songs, its an overall good cd, i recommended it to my bf and he hates like hardcore/screamo, hes more into metal and stuff and he now loves silverstein!!! i love this cd and the band
    ledzeppelin13
    this album holds its own according to me, not as good as Discovering the Waterfront, but Sound of the Sun, True Romance, Bodies and Words, and The Sand Will Turn into Glass, are all very good tracks!
    carrotcake
    HH_Emo_666 wrote: it looks exactly the same as the normal one .. jsut on the back it says bonus tracks
    damn... I was in a hurry the day I bought it so I ran in the store saw like 50 copies, an then left
    mattb91
    don't listen to negative reviews for this album! hear it for yourself, it is an excellent album.
    carrotcake
    does anyone know what the cd looked liked with the two extra tracks cause I got mine from best buy with no two extra tracks....and to all those people that wrote really long paragraghs as a comment, "write a review!"
    fret13
    taht explains a lotand f*ck the guy above me taht sucks no matter who you are
    A monkey
    [quote]Ian531 wrote: I am a huge silverstein fan, and i was a a little dissapointed witht their new CD, i got it at best buy with the two extra tracks, I liked their first two E.P.s "the shadows that beam" and "Summer Stelar Gaze" which were crudley recorded and had only 6 tracks alot better than "arrivals and departures" ther reason i dont really like their new CD two much is because its completly different from their first albums, the tone was completly different, and also musicly it was completly different, they did not have one good breakdown compared to their other songs, and they no longer used sevenths like they did in "giving up" and other songs like those. they also barely had any octave runs, and they didnt use the progression that consisted of a power chord going to another "emo chord" as i like to call it which was that powerchord with the root a half step down as well as its octave, but the 5th, staying in place. Also, Shane's vocals and lyrics were very different, his vocals didnt stray to far from his normal style but it did a little as well as his lyrics, also paul koeler had a dif druming style, it was much more bland, and kept more time than anything, it had nothing that stood out like on the previous CD's, they also repeated choruses way more than they usually do in most of their previous songs, also i found the choruses to b bland and that the verses tended to b more interesting. they also did not use their contrasting and deep changes between clean and overdriven like they used to. I also find it interesting that they played a few of the song in drop Db tuning, like in the songs Sound of the Sun and Bodies and Words. Which they also have not done before, they have previously only done Drop D and standard E tuning. So, basicly, i was a bit dissapointed, Silverstein is still my overall favorite band, i thought that the CD was goo
    DarkDallasNight
    Ian531 wrote: u cant just say "his voice sounds like this on 18 candles" because 18 candles: the early years is a compilation CD of their first two albums "Summer Stellar Gaze" and "The Shadows that Beam", 3 live tracks (one from the 930 club in DC, which is the venue i go to, pretty sweet i know, and one from Ohio i beleive) and then 2 acoustic tracks and a techno vrs of "Smile in Your Sleep", so you cant just say that his voice sounded like 18 candles because his voice sounded different on "Summer Stellar Gaze", "The Shadows that Beam" the live tracks and the acoustic/techno,
    I am pretty sure we all know that 18 candles is a rerelease of their first two lps....thats why we bought them....btw all the information your talking about is in the cd jacket... Shane's voice does sound different but my comment (sounding like he did back then) may have been alittle premature but the cd actually is pretty good after a few listens. It gets catchier as you continue to listen to it.
    HH_Emo_666
    the 2 extra tracks are called "Rain Will Fall" and "Falling down
    fret13
    Ian531 wrote: yea, my favs on the cd were "Sound of the Sun" "Bodies and Words" "True Romance" and "Worlds Apart" but def Silverstein's best CD is "When Broken is Easily Fixed". nothing beats that CD, that CD is beast, but alot of the songs on that CD were from "The Shadows that Beam" and "Summer Stellar Gaze" and alot of the songs were written by their first guitarist
    realdidn lik Whe Broken Is Easily Fixed, I thought that Discovering the Waterfront was By Far the Best, well next to summer steller gaze.
    DarkDallasNight
    Shane's voice went back in time. His voice sounds like this on 18 candles. Not really catchy songs besides for Sounds of the Sun and Worlds Apart
    AllMidnightEyes
    This was a dissapointing CD. I like it but, I prefer Discovering The Waterfront and When Broken Is Easily Fixed over this. I liked "Sound of the Sun" and "If Only You Could See Into My Soul" a lot though.
    Ian531
    on the upper right hand corner, there is a little sticker that says "best buy" and sum other stuff like "exclusive"
    Ian531
    u got to make sure that it has a "best buy special" or something like dat on a sticker at the top, i almost bought the wrong one too
    Zer0GTRPLYR39
    I bought it aty BEst buy, Where are the 2 extra traacks, Are they hidden??? some one tell me plz lol
    Ian531
    Yea, shane has been going out with a girl named Julia since high school, when i heard the CD i checked his myspace, but it said he wasnt single, i didnt realize it was with someone dif
    HH_Emo_666
    yea its only 10 bucks at Best Buy and it comes with 2 extra tracks "Rain Will Fall" and "Falling Down" but now that I finally have it .. outta 10 I'd have to rate this cd only a 6 or a 7. All the songs are mostly about breaking up or deaths. I have the new AP Mag and at the time Shane Told had broken up with someone after 7 years? [not quite so sure] and the guitarist had close family that had died. I'm just really dissapointed that the songs are all about death or break ups and broken hearts. Discovering the Waterfront was a great cd .. but then they came and made this. I think the best part of the cd is that its more catchyier [spelling?] and they have better musical performance and breakdowns. Isn't this day of age tired and tired of listening to breakup songs? I mean one or two is fine but not the whole cd ..
    Ian531
    chill out man, we all were dumb emo kids once, and i agree they are a great band, i know that bands styles tend to do this, but still, the old silverstein sound is not there (which i know is what usually happens) but still, non of their albums can match "When Broken is Easily Fixed". But i think their best songs on the new album are "Sound of the Sun" "Bodies and Words" and "Worlds Apart"
    fret13
    tfk011 wrote: man u dumb**** emokids who think you know what youre talking about should shut up. this album is a natural growth for silverstein. most bands by their third album would explore a new sound and it would flop. silverstein just consistently puts out straight up good and catchy songs on every album and there is not a bad song on any of their albums while most bands will put out an album and get big over two or three songs while the rest of the album blows. And whocares if their going sort of mainstream thats how bands make a living people they dont wanna play low-pay club gigs for the rest of their careers, they enjoy playing big tours with mainstream bands like simple plan and rise against rather a small club tour with some small indie band making next to nothing on the road. I think people need to people need to put this album in to perspective for what the whole album sounds like and silverstein is never short of producing good songs that are enjoyable to listen to and they are always constistent with putting out good songs.Everyone in silverstein sounds fine on this album. the guitars are catchier and their is a bunch of good breakdowns throughout the album. shane sounds better than before though the vocals sound like they werent recorded/produced well from the studio.bill did his thing and as for paul he maybe be somewhat repetitive but his drumming is very catchy and if you watch him live youll see that he has very solid and tight drumming.
    actually the entire CD blows, not jsut 2 or three good songs, you got hte medoicre opener sound of the sun and then you have a wasted $14, silverstein is a great bands and still one of my favorites but they really did not do a good job on this one