Discovering The Waterfront review by Silverstein

• Released: Aug 16, 2005
Silverstein: Discovering The Waterfront

Silverstein is personally one of my favorite albums. Haling from Ontario, Canada this band has gone from a local bar band to a headlining act. Silverstein is now gaining much more popularity with their new album which was released in august, "Discovering The Waterfront." I bought this album on its release date and have not stopped listening to it yet. I've attempted to learn all of the guitar to most of the songs and have the lyrics down by heart. This album is truely amazing. I found the sound quality on this album a bit better than the quality on "When Broken's Easily Fixed." Every strum of the bass guitar, both electric guitars, drums and vocals can be heard very clearly and easily. "Discovering The Waterfront" is the name of the album and one of the tracks on the disc. The name itself expresses the main concept of the album. This album is a bit more dynamic than the last album. There's everyhing from slow easy listening, to emo and to hardcore. I think all together it sounds better than anything else Silverstein's done so far.

The lyrics on this album in my point of view are the best lyrics I've heard from any band in some time. They are easy to relate to for teens and they express a strong message. Lead singer Shane Told sings about broken love, revenge and does a very good job at it. Told is one of the most talented vocalist I've heard in years. Told is a great screamer and provides a very intese side to Silverstein's songs. Not only is he an outstanding screamer, he has an overall excellent singing voice. His voice fits all of Silverstein's varieties of songs perfectly. 01. Your Sword Vs My Dagger - this song is the perfect song off the album to be track #1. It starts off very fast paced and is very intese. This song is very powerful and can get one very pumped. 02. Smile In Your Sleep - this is the 1st single off the album. I like it so much because it begins slow and relaxing and picks up when it reaches the chorus. This is definetly one of the best songs and this song has a very cool video as well. The video is based on the game "Clue." 03. The Ides Of March - this song is very powerful and it has a very nice slow intro. It is a very dynamic song. It picks up later in the song and has the hard feel to it. 04. Fist Wrapped In Blood - this is one of my favorites. It has a metal kickoff and then bounces back to the sweet hardcore\emo feel of Silverstein. I really like the lyrics to this one too. 05. Discovering The Waterfront - this is perhaps one of the band's slowest\easiest songs but by far one of the best. I like the way it was constructed; this is a great song for anyone. Even if your not into hardcore music or Silverstein I don't think you could turn this one down. 06. Defend You - this is probably the hardest song off the album. It's almost all hard and metal the whole way through. This shows why Silverstein is such a great band. As I explained the previous track is slow and easy and this song is nearly a metal track. This shows how Silvestein can attract such a diverse audience. 07. My Heroine - this song is about getting depressed and falling under the control of drugs because of a girl. This song has a different feel from most of Silvesteins songs but I like it. It's something different and cool. 08. Always And Never - I like the name of this song. It reminds me of something off the old album. I like it, its fast paced and sounds great. 09. Already Dead - is my favorie song off the album. I just absolutely love it. In my eyes it is the best Silverstein song yet. The lyrics are rather harshe (they sing of killing your girlfriend) but it has a great intese feel and is an excellent track. 10. Three Hours Back - this song has a soft intro that sounds anything but Silverstein. Then the intro kicks in the 2nd time with distortion and it sounds great. This song isn't as hard as some of the content on this album. It has a good emo feel and is also one of the best. 11. Call It Carma - this song has a different feel too. I like this one a lot though. I really like the sound of the vocals in this song. There is also a neat guitar solo almost two minutes into the song. This is a great song to wrap up the album.

I loved "When Broken's Easily Fixed" but I think "Discovering The Waterfront" was a huge improvement and I like the album much more. It's so hard to choose the most impressive songs because I like them all but I'd have to say "Already Dead" and "Smile In Your Sleep" are my two favorites. There is not one thing I could say I dislike about this album. It is all around an awesome album that I recommend to anyone who likes emo, hardcore or screamo style music. This album also comes with a bonus DVD that contains live footage, music videos and clips from Silverstein's practice sessions. This album hands down is a must have.