I Am Alive In Everything I Touch review by Silverstein

• Released: May 19, 2015
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Silverstein: I Am Alive In Everything I Touch

When you think about it there really aren't many screamo/post-hardcore bands that continue to put out successful material in this year of 2015. I use the term "screamo" because Toronto, Canada band Silverstein used to be part of that label. But now in 2015, that term has nearly died off. We have bands such as Senses Fail going full on metalcore, The Used going back and forth not knowing what they want their sound to be, and here we have Silverstein, who have basically continued the same sound for years, but expanded it. These guys have released 7 albums throughout their career without including "Short Songs," and released a massively great album in 2013, titled "This Is How the Wind Shifts." And with new guitarist Paul Marc Rosseau on board, we were drawn in with some of the tastiest riffs ever in Silverstein history. It just had a southern feel to it. So let's just say I was expecting a ton with this new release. But with that being said, these guys already left Hopeless Records and on to the one and only Rise Records. Lead single "A Midwestern State of Emergency" caught me off guard in regards to the Rise signing. The first few listens went well, but eventually I felt like this song could have been a "TIHTWS" b-side, and that goes for most of the songs on this album too. I mean, lyrically, and vocally Shane still hasn't lost it, but I feel like the same riffs are being played over and over again.

"The Continual Condition" is not necessarily a song I enjoy, but lyrically it's in the right direction:

"A city drenching me in sin.
Atop these buildings we're both sinking
As we swim in our continual condition.
You found a way inside my head and left me hanging by a thread."

"Late on 6th" is the softest, and most memorable track on the entire album. This, and I believe most of the album was recorded in Toronto. The song just comes off as cheesy in a way:

"When I called your name you didn't hear a sound.
I couldn't feel it then, but I need you now.
I didn't see the rain when it came down.
You didn't feel it then, I wish you'd feel it now.
I stopped when I reached The Edge and yelled as loud as I can
Don't go.
I stopped when I reached The Edge and I yelled it over again
Don't go."

"Face of the Earth," and "Toronto (Unabridged)" are other highlights of the album, but overall, this seems like an album just continuing in the exact same direction of where the last album left off. That's not totally a bad thing, per say, but it's a stale album to me, and honestly, other than the soft tracks, I feel like these guys could have pulled a well better effort. This band has been around for over a decade, but hopefully they can go back to releasing some solid material, and use Paul Marc Rosseau to their greatest advantage. They had some great ideas on this album, conceptually, so I hope they continue something even bigger and better than this.

Sam Rulez D00d
    It's weird but it seems like every other Silverstein record is great and the ones in between are just okay. This is one of those 'in between' records for me. Though I really like Midwestern State of Emergency and Face of the Earth, the rest of the album kinda falls flat. Shane said this was a concept album, but I'm not really sure what the story actually is and the ending seems really unresolving.
    Joshua Garcia
    I don't know about a concept album, but he did say that it might be a hard album to listen to specifically because it's all about his personal life and hardships. And I definitely think there's a message behind it. The UG review described it pretty well, but basically, I think it's all about suffering from loneliness and how it gets the best of you (first 4 tracks), and even though you can try to make the best of what you have (Buried at Sea), the memories of what you had will never leave you (next 6 songs). The conclusion (Toronto Unabridged) being while you may have somewhere to go call home, it doesn't mean it will always feel like it because it doesn't shelter you from what you want to escape from. But maybe someday he'll move on and find a new place he can call 'home'. Just my take, anyways. Probably not the most expanded of concepts, but after a thorough listen, I think lyrically it's pretty powerful stuff.
    While this is true, I have to admit I loved Rescue haha
    Sam Rulez D00d
    The problem I have with Rescue is that it feels more like a compilation of good songs than an actual cohesive album. If that makes sense
    vppark2
    I guess. I enjoyed every single song, but didn't love them all, whereas, albums like Shipwrecks and TIHTWS I loved every single track, if that's what you're trying to say.
    BwareDWare94
    I'm waiting for Silverstein's mature album, lyrically, as I think that will take them over the top. I understand that Told knows the band's demographic is adolescents to mid teens, but at what point do you cast demographics aside? I think there's a lot of untapped potential in this band.
    vppark2
    Def check out Late on 6th from this album then. While I think it's a fairly boring song, Shane's vocals are at his best.
    BwareDWare94
    I'll have to do that. FTR, I also think his vocals need to mature, at some point. He can't sing through his nose into his 40s, can he? That shit's for kids. That said, this band is still quite a bit better than most of their peers, old and new.
    Vampire_State
    Has it ever occurred to you that it's his actual singing voice? He seems to be the only singer from that wave that doesn't have trouble hitting the highs at this point. Agreed on being better than their peers though.
    BwareDWare94
    It's not so much about tone as it is the nasally sound that comes from singing improperly.