Rescue review by Silverstein

• Released: Apr 26, 2011
Silverstein: Rescue

Silverstein's fifth studio record Rescue remains fairly true to the band's sound throughout the years, and vocalist Shane Told had indeed commented it would be a mix between the previous releases Discovering and Shipwreck. While it seems more and more bands that have had the term screamo or post-hardcore thrown at them do at some point attempt traditional melodic singing to carry the bulk of the material, Silverstein is in no way following the pack. The striking balance between the sung and screamed vocals often times leads to monotony, but the guitar team of Neil Boshart and Josh Bradford do deliver enough inspired guitar work to keeps things fresh.

Rescue begins with Medication, a perfect opener because of its energy and the varied arrangements from section to section. There are some intriguing tempo changes, with the most effective being about through the way. It's at that point that the aggression takes a turn for the mellow a perhaps even more heartfelt section because it includes Told crying out the line, I'm afraid I'll never be okay. The album is full of these key moments be it in the chorus or otherwise that all the anger is stripped to reveal a much more fragile state of mind.

Forget Your Heart delivers a darker, sedate-sounding intro, but quickly the energy picks up once the vocals are added. That track features one of many big choruses, which do seem to be the areas that Silverstein shines. Good Luck With Your Lives includes sleek guitar work by lead guitarist Boshart, with the main standout part actually being played underneath the verse. Unusual additions like those do end up defining Rescue.

A few guest vocalists show up on the album, with The Counterparts' Brendan Murphy appearing on The Artist and Anthony Raneri of Bayside offering his vocals to Texas Mickey. In the case of the latter song, this was the best move they could possibly make. Told is a solid vocalist, but Raneri's delivery is so smooth with his vibrato that it completely transforms the song into something entirely different than the Texas Mickey demo (showcasing only Told's vocals), which is included as a bonus song on the CD.

One of the most refreshing aspects to Silverstein's work is its ability to come up with unique approaches to the lyrical content. Rather than just writing in terms of emotions and feelings, there is a bit more depth and imagery. A perfect example comes in the vivid Darling Harbour in which states, In the lighthouse by the sea, at the 33rd degree; You make me feel so special and free; But there's something in the air turning stutters into stairs; I look into your blue eyes and say... In the end perhaps the biggest impression is left by the tearjerker In Memory Of, which deals with the death of a child (Words can be the most beautiful or the most cold; I didn't know what to say; To a father who suddenly loses his son; I still think about that every day).

The CD version does include six extra tracks, a few of which are taken from the Transitions EP. While the bonus demos' underlying arrangements remain fairly consistent with the final cuts heard on the record, the acoustic versions of Replace You and Burning Hearts offer completely new listening experiences. Silverstein doesn't offer that many surprises on Rescue, and if you're not a fan of the screaming/singing format then you should skip this one. However, fans of the band should be satisfied with the new material, particularly the approach the team of Boshart/Bradford takes with the guitar parts.

r0ckth3d34n
    Some of the songs on this CD were too close to the sound Shipwreck had. I can tell the blend they attempted with Shipwreck and Waterfront, but I think Shipwreck's sound came out more on top.
    BwareDWare94
    Surprising, because Anberlin's vocalist is phenomenal.
    saveme777
    phantom_lord586 wrote: what ultimate guitar dont you guys realise "screamo" isnt actually a genre
    Screamo is an actual genre, though not very known. It is a sub-genre of emo (and more extreme). Many people throughout the years have mistakenly assumed any genre with screaming vocals (e.g. metalcore) to be screamo, however it is not true. Rock > Punk > Emo > Screamo
    niejel
    Exxol wrote: meh screamo is a word used to describe poppy bands that try to do a metal scream but go nowhere with it... i listened to silverstein - for about a week - then realized its just more mainstream garbage
    mainstream . . . garbage? you sure if you can call that "garbage"? I've had My Heroine and Smile In Your Sleep in my players for the past 5 years and I won't call that garbage.
    ReeseKillsHIV
    r0ckth3d34n
    I think Shipwreck is musically better, but Rescue is definitely their most mature sounding album.
    HH_Emo_666
    If you don't like the band then why would you click on the ****ing review?
    HH_Emo_666
    I think this album was really good. Good review too. Todd has a good voice, but it's the SAME in every song.
    leo11x
    ReeseKillsHIV wrote: Surprising! Not a single one of you knows what screamo is. Go listen to Orchid, Funeral Diner, and Saetia, then compare that to bands like Silverstein. Not very similar at all. That said, I think this album is growing on me. I didn't like it at first, but Intervention is saving the whole thing for me. Great song.
    Finally someone who knows what screamo is
    Exxol
    xkreedx
    xkreedx
    Co&Ca11
    Angelicc
    Co&Ca11 wrote: They haven't put a really good album out since Discovering the Waterfront, every album since has just been alright with a few good songs.
    Absolutely right.
    BurningTurkey
    get over it. it defines a style therfore its a genre.
    4baileyt
    i think this album has a great sound to it! if it had a concept as string as a shipwreck in the sand it would be truly awesome.
    derailu42
    I've been a fan of Silverstein from the start and this is my favorite album. I love how they stay true to their sound while also cleaning it up a little.
    Ibeanez
    BwareDWare94 wrote: xkreedx wrote: He sounds more and more like the singer of anberlin.. His clean vocals I mean. I don't like. Surprising, because Anberlin's vocalist is phenomenal.
    xkreedx wrote: I don't disagree that he is a good singer. I just don't like the 12 year old boy voice.
    Exactly, thank you.
    jekke_rocks
    Screamo is a genre, although the term is often used incorrectly to refer to any music with screaming in it. Emo + Screaming = Screamo. These guys defiantly qualify, as do bands like Thursday.
    blake1221
    Screamo is very much a real genre. Not necessarily including Silverstein, but I can see how they'd be lumped in.
    Tredway856
    It's an okay album, nothing will ever beat "When Broken Is Easily Fixed." but it is a good step in where they are going. Silverstein will always be amazing.
    LightxGrenade
    dude who cares about that? How the hell is this anywhere near the most relevant thing worth noting of this review? Good review, I like how you covered some technical aspects about the music as well as well as mentioning what's aesthetically pleasing. I never liked this band in all honesty but that first set of lyrics mentioned has piqued my interest and I thought the single (Burning Hearts) wasn't bad at all, kinda gives me nostalgia.
    headbang123
    it is to an extent scremo is describing a wide variety of music which uses the screaming vocal technique regurally in their songs anyone from silverstein to devil wears prada could be considered "scremo"