Transitions review by Silverstein

• Released: Dec 7, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Silverstein: Transitions

Canadian quintet Silverstein are back with their first EP in over 5 years: Transitions. It marks the band's first release since their 2009 album A Shipwreck in the Sand, and their first since signing to Hopeless Records. At barely 16 minutes in length, Transitions is meant to show the direction the band is taking their signature sound, and while it may not convert any naysayers, Transitions will surely please the band's longtime fans. The EP begins with "Sacrifice", a song most fans will have heard during the band's recent live shows. The song features everything Silverstein: a blend of screaming and singing (there's even a breakdown) that fits perfectly with the group's old and new material. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Transitions' next track "Darling Harbour". While it has a catchy, pop-punk feel, it's average at best. "Dancing On My Grave" is the EP's highlight. A track that could easily have come off the fan-favorite "Discovering The Waterfront", the song features plenty of screaming, great guitars, and is simply Silverstein at their best. Next up is an acoustic version of "Replace You": an enjoyable take on the original and a nice change of pace. Transitions finishes off with a cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Wish", and although the band keep the feel of the original song, the track unfortunately falls flat.

With only three new tracks, the lyrics on Transitions don't deter much from the band's previous releases. The band have slowly brought screaming into their sound, something that will please fans who left 2007's "arrivals and Departures" disappointed. The band is still capable of blending screaming and singing almost flawlessly, and while some will find singer Shane Told's voice too (and I loathe to use the word) "emo", it's easy to hear that his voice, as well as his growls, have improved drastically over the years. Overall: an average vocal performance.

With Transitions, Silverstein have continued to refine their classic sound, keeping the fans happy while staying true to their post-hardcore roots. Two tracks from the EP will be featured on the band's as-of-yet untitled 2011 album, and if this is a sign of things to come, fans can expect another solid effort. Silverstein may be getting a bit boring for some but, to use an old saying: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

r0ckth3d34n
    EpiExplorer wrote: r0ckth3d34n wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: r0ckth3d34n wrote: @EpiExplorer Funny how it redirects to their article, "Emo," which doesn't anywhere say "Emocore." And the only place it really says anything about music except for it's "blending pop rock with indie rock," and no where is Silverstein listed in the article... Yeah, I'm a totally dumbass. Well obviously you didn't read it then. All you need is the first paragraph. Oh regardless, you missed this line. MacKaye also traces it to 1985, attributing it to an article in Thrasher magazine referring to Embrace and other Washington, D.C. bands as "emo-core", which he called "the stupidest ****ing thing Ive ever heard in my entire life." So? its the voice of a man in a magazine about skate culture who has nothing to do with the scene.
    Really, it doesn't matter. Emocore isn't real. If it was, there would be a legit Wiki page about it, not 3 sentences. @henkka_potku Shane doesn't use inhale screaming. Isn't that what Job for a Cowboy does...?
    niejel
    I won't call Silverstein terrible. So what if they're emo? They're still produce excellent music in their area / genre or whatever bullshit you call their music. They are one of my main influences, next to Dream Theater, Bullet For My Valentine, Trivium and Alesana. Pfft. Fucking metal elitists. =_="
    henkka_potku
    Isn't this band the one which uses the terrible inhale screams? Some of the worst crap I've heard in my life.
    kerokero
    lol. Why does anyone even bother argue with EpiExplorer.... Love this band. Was a nice little EP to fill our void until their new album next year (hopefully soon, with no delays) and I guess some shows. Homegrown bands like these, with real talent might I add, are a dime a dozen. But to see them going strong for so long... Now that`s awesome. I`d say that this is a good starting off point, and the last album as well, to get new fans into Silverstein in time for their new album.
    EpiExplorer
    Well obviously you didn't read it then. All you need is the first paragraph.
    r0ckth3d34n
    ^Facepalm. I liked this EP a lot. Especially after A Shipwreck in the Sand got old like a month after it came out. I felt the new sound had more depth, and almost emphasized on A Shipwreck in the Sand, and threw in the elements that made Discovering the Waterfront good. Replace You was just a good song to have in there. I hated the Nine Inch Nails cover.
    EpiExplorer
    r0ckth3d34n wrote: Emo-core? Dear God. You're totally making things up. Post-Hardcore was heavily influenced by hardcore punk... not... "emo-core." And still is. Emo has always been used to describe the tone of a band, not so much the music. What I'm trying to say is, it's not a genre, it's an adjective. If a band describes themselves "emo," I'm inclined to believe that their lyrics are probably kind of sad and depressing. Maybe the overall tone is rather depressing, as well. Silverstein is far more punk influenced than "emo-core" influenced.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emocore Read it and now suck on your dumb...ness.
    EpiExplorer
    TuningGamer wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Emo's a bit out of fashion now, isn't it? Rock's been around for 30-40 years, and it's still nice.. What's your point? Good music never gets old.
    Which is why emo is out of fashion. Now its hipster synth and kiddie deathcore that you should be following.
    Emmanuel200 wrote: Emo's not really a genre.. I'd say it's post hardcore played by a group of dudes who people call emo... But hey! They covered a NOFX song, so yeahh... Idk. Am I the only one that sees any punk influence in some of their songs?
    Emo-core is the original genre of punk music that this wave comes from. The musical differences between 80's emo and todays emo is not that different but the people who play it are.
    Emmanuel200
    TuningGamer
    EpiExplorer wrote: Emo's a bit out of fashion now, isn't it?
    fret13
    This used to be my favorite band. I was completely in love with this band, then they released Arrivals and Departures and I found out that Metal music existed. I have since then been enlightened. However, I do like to see that they are still going strong. Cheers Silverstein, even though I think your music sucks, keep doing what you do.
    tom-the-lawn
    Epi has a point though, emo is getting old. And this is coming from someone who has a Silverstein shirt.
    good_blink_plan
    EpiExplorer wrote: Emo's a bit out of fashion now, isn't it?
    Sometimes your comments make me laugh.
    YesterdaysToday
    I really like this album, I find actually a pretty big difference (not feel, but instrumentally) from their old albums, and It's also a new lyrical theme for them. Loving it.
    sooperduper19
    niejel wrote: I won't call Silverstein terrible. So what if they're emo? They're still produce excellent music in their area / genre or whatever bullshit you call their music. They are one of my main influences, next to Dream Theater, Bullet For My Valentine, Trivium and Alesana. Pfft. Fucking metal elitists . =_="
    I used to like Silverstein alot then i discovered metal. now i think metal is the best. i chuckled quite a chuckle when i saw this. About arguing over the genre; who cares? we all know what it sounds like, stop making every genre you can't identify a "-core" or "post___core" name.