When Broken Is Easily Fixed review by Silverstein

• Released: May 20, 2003
Silverstein: When Broken Is Easily Fixed

Silverstein is probably my presently favorite band and for some strange reason I hadn't got this CD until after I got Discovering the waterfront and 18 Candles: The Early Years. I just never really saved up my money for it and heard it wasn't that good. The first song on the album, "Smashed Into Pieces", was the first Silverstein song I had ever heard on a sample CD that I got after purchasing Hawthorne Height's The Silence in Black and White a few years ago. It's a really fast tune that is really catchy, one of the best on the album, Silverstein at their finest. Afterwards, you hear "Red Light Pledge" which is really sensitive and has way too much screaming in it for that slow of a song. A bad way to switch from the opening song. Other songs that share the same overview of "Red Light Pledge" are "Giving Up", "Hear Me Out", and "Forever and a Day". They do however have some harder songs on the album that I like but also have a lot of unnecessary screaming such as a sensitive but hard "November", "Last Days Of Summer", and the on and off "The Weak and the Wounded". The two tracks that I don't think there is an overdose of screaming are "When Broken Is Easily Fixed" and "Bleeds No More" considering "Bleeds No More" is intended to scream the entire time I have no trouble with that. Guitars on this album I found more Metal influenced than "Discovering The Waterfront" and also found that the two guitars comply with each other with tons more duos than the other album. The Bass also has a line of it's own and Paul alway puts a great drum line in.

The lyrics are well thought through and has things anyone can relate to, from the intense "When Broken Is Easily Fixed" to the upbeat "Wish I Could Forget You" to the soft "Red Light Pledge", anyone can relate to the lyrics. The lyrics flow with the song. When the song is hard, the lyrics are hard, and vice versa. The two bonus tracks however are not my favorite when it comes to lyrics however. Shane puts on an impressive vocal display but doesn't show it that much in the song "When Broken Is Easily Fixed" but the BGVs cover up for him.

If I had to choose between "Discovering the Waterfront" and this CD I would choose both, but do what I did and start off with DTW and save your money for this CD. The most impressive songs on the album are "When Broken Is Easily Fixed", "Smashed Into Pieces", and "November". I felt that Silverstein put a little too many depressing melodies on this CD and not enough upbeat songs but I love the guitars. This is worth buying again.

Briteless
    i find them to be so stereotypical. the songs are so weak, and the lyrics are run of the mill.
    JohnnySell
    i actually liked this album alot. Definatly one of the top 5 screamo albums of all time. Nothing beats Glassjaw and Thursday though.
    seijo_hxc
    I forgot to mention that AVA_182_44 said that this album includes post-grunge influences, and my opinion is that's bullshit. I'm not saying the album is terrible, but, post-grunge? lol the robot in the cover reminds me of Bender. PS: [ironic mode ON] AVA_182_44 your nickname is cooool *forgive my english, I'm from Spain
    dreamerontherun
    agreed, the best band in their genre, and Discovering the Waterfront somehow manages to top on this. Love the fight club quote in Bleeds no More not to mention that whole song