Carnavas review by Silversun Pickups

• Released: Jul 26, 2006
Silversun Pickups: Carnavas

The other two reviews give this band no justice, so here I go. First off, this band is not something you wanna rock out too; you need to listen to this CD and just relax. It's a CD to chill to, and nothing more. Although the vocalist does seem to sing the same way through every song, the instruments keep you goin and the overall experience is very relaxing. His voice does remind me of The Smashing Pumpkins, but this is definitely no rip off of them. This is also one of those CDs you just gotta get used to.

01. Melatonin - this song is little bit faster and harder than the rest of the album, and the vocalist sings in a few different tones in this. Good song to start everything off, but be warned, the CD gets slower as you go on. 02. Well Thought Out Twinkles - very nice song, one of the standouts on the album. He sings a bit louder in this song, and it shows how intriguing the lyrics are. The bass, drums, and guitar all flow together, and theirs also some keybaords in the back to add some depth to the song. 03. Checkered Floor - now the songs get longer and more slow. I find the guitar and bass to be really catchy in this song, and the lyrics are very good. Kinda picks up during the middle, but it's still a slow song and one of the songs that you should sit back and relax to. 04. Little Lover's So Polite - another song where the lyrics are catchy, and the instruments just mesmerize you. His voice picks up in this one at times, giving it a little bit of a difference from the repetitive manner in which he sings. 05. Future Foe Scenarios - although this song is faster paces, and the vocals are a lot harder, this song never never caught onto me. Again, the lyrics are amazing, but it didn't impress me. Maybe you'll like it though. 06. Waste It On - nice bass intro, but the lyrics are bland compared to the rest of the album, and in my opinion the song is poorly done. I'd skip this track. 07. Lazy Eye - this is the song that pretty much everybody has heard at some point. The guitars are catchy, and the lyrics are very very nice. Near the end his voice pickups, and although the song drags on at the end, it flows nicely. Because this song is so overplayed it's lost some of it's touch, but still a very good song. 08. Rusted Wheel - a very slow song, probably the slowest on the album. Nothing impressive here, but don't skip this song. Like most of the album, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ambient noises. 09. Dream At Tempo 119 - the best guitar riff on the album, although that's all that stands out on this song. I usually skip it, as their are better songs through out the album. 10. Three Seed - my favorite song. nice bass into, and the guitars are pleasant. Long, slow song, but it's the best song to chill to. Play this song over and over, it will hook on you very fast, and whenever you want a song to relax to, this will be it. 11. Common Reactor - pure crap. Don't listen to it.

Overall, Silversun pickups have great potential, but the repetitive nature of this album will turn a lot of people away, and it's sad becuase this band is great. If you are looking for music to relax to, get this album. Although I gave it only a fairly decent grade, it's one of my favorite CDs, and I recommend this band to everybody.

febick
    all i can say is wow, have you listened to this album? deserves at least an 8 maybe a 9.
    pawnluv
    By far my favourite album of all time, can't believe it was rated so low. Best album to trip out to as well in my opinion.
    C&C Magik
    whocares09 wrote: i quite like this cd... alot... im a big pumpkins and coheed and cambria fan, so maybe thats why, but for a debut album this is really good... i think its one of those albums that you cant just take one listen too and then judge it, because it keeps getting better everytime you listen
    Big Coheed fan here (always glad to run into another fan ), and I have to agree. Most of this album is pretty good; these guys are better than Smashing Pumpkins, IMO.
    pawnluv
    I wrote a good review for this , but it got rejected? Whatever, still a great album.
    SWENCE_32
    Ive heard better albums, but Carnavas is not a BAD album in any sense of the word. The sound is very different and, yes, repetitive at times. But i would rather listen to an album of pretty cool songs that sound somewhat the same rather than an album with 2 or 3 amazing songs and the rest if filler.
    boydcanwish
    Oh, and sspu, as the hip kids call them I wasn't aware that abbreviations make you hip. They dont. they just degrade the name of Silverun Pickups in this case. But I feel these reviews are generally biased for one reason or other. Because the Silversun Pickups are one of a few more recent bands that i've been really diggin' (as the hip kids would say).
    AidanSC91
    I thought it was a fantastic album. Common Reactor = Pure Crap?! Its one of the best songs I've heard in a while.
    fitterhappier34
    I LOVE THIS DAMN ALBUM AND BAND. How could it have such a low rating? Oh, and
    sspu, as the hip kids call them
    I wasn't aware that abbreviations make you hip. :O
    shcantdance
    Yeah they sound a lot like the smashing pumpkins but first time I hear them I thought of Sonic Youth. The Album is pretty good. I couldn't tell it was two different vocalist though. It seriously sounds like just a girl singing.
    pwninator123
    Auronos needs to realize that the people who like the band, have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the band
    whocares09
    GSA_210
    I think that the reviewers scored this cd too low. I say 8 at least. Man, I just love the distortion and effects of the guitar and bass, especially at the end of Little Lover's So Polite. It's like an orgasm in your ear. I love how the girl sings backup, they sound real good together. I DON'T think that the songs all sound the same. I think that the lyrics are good on most all of the songs, and I don't think that they're ripping off anyone. I can see where you can say that they sound like the Smashing Pumpkins, but they're songs are all so original. I don't see how you can say they all sound alike. Melatonin, Well Thought Out Twinkles, and Common Reactor sound upbeat. Future Foe Scenarios and Waste It On sound dark. Checkered Floor and Three Seed sound melancholy and pensive. You can hear their emotion poured into their songs. I really liked this cd, but that's just my opinion. I suppose it affects people differently at different times in their life.
    auranos
    Firaga wrote: I'm not too great a judge of lyrics Then why are you revirewing this, even after admitting this fact?
    Because it's one of the three fields you need to fill out when you send in a review.
    Firaga
    I'm not too great a judge of lyrics
    Then why are you revirewing this, even after admitting this fact?
    AdamWinston
    Sorry in advance, but I take great offence to this review (which in the writing world means you did a good job because you sparked public opinion). I respect your opinion, but I disagree that the album sounds like each track is ripping off of another. Personally, it's the best album I've bought since The Black Parade (sue me) and if I still wrote music reviews for my shcool newspaper, I'd write about Carnavas. P.S. Thanks for sparking something in me.
    ThePianist
    strange, i felt it too. i also downloaded their EP 'Pikul' off of itunes and i think i might like it more.Its more mellow, and it includes more of the girl (bass player) singing and some sweet bass lines. Not to mention the amazing 7-minute song "All the go in-betweens", the perfect song to cruise to,to fall asleep to,to smoke to, and especially to think to.To me, anyway.
    Obelisk
    Holy shit. Did you listen to the album? Do you have ears? Melatonin is the most bland song on the entire album... Ok. The Silversun Pickups are experimental and progressive. Their songwriting is unique and refreshing. The drum beats are not like anything you'd find on an album from the 90's. There isn't much of anything here that you'd find on an album from the 90's except some octave chords. There is nothing repitive about this album except the tones used by the guitarists. Which is pretty unique sound in and of itself. I have a wierd feeling that PDMChubby either listened to two or three songs on the CD, maybe to about the thirty second mark, and then wrote this review.
    Talisman67
    Best CD I've heard in a long time. I haven't stopped listening to it. Definitely not a rip off of the Smashing Pumpkins. A must have for any Alternative fan's colection
    Frusconbage
    I haven't heard the album, but all i know is that 'Lazy Eye' is pretty lame. And the singer sounds like a girl.