Carnavas Review

Silversun Pickups: Carnavas
Release Date: Jul 26, 2006
Label: Dangerbird
Genres: Indie Rock, Dream Pop, Post-Grunge
Though an extremely rewarding listen, proceed with caution: once put into a stereo, Carnavas may become stuck inside for quite a while.
 Lyrics: 6.5
 8.3
 7.3
 9.2
Carnavas Reviewed by: Boxiii, on january 25, 2008

Sound: The other two reviews give this band no justice, so here I go. First off, this band is not something you wanna rock out too; you need to listen to this CD and just relax. It's a CD to chill to, and nothing more. Although the vocalist does seem to sing the same way through every song, the instruments keep you goin and the overall experience is very relaxing. His voice does remind me of The Smashing Pumpkins, but this is definitely no rip off of them. This is also one of those CDs you just gotta get used to. // 8

Lyrics: 01. Melatonin - this song is little bit faster and harder than the rest of the album, and the vocalist sings in a few different tones in this. Good song to start everything off, but be warned, the CD gets slower as you go on. 02. Well Thought Out Twinkles - very nice song, one of the standouts on the album. He sings a bit louder in this song, and it shows how intriguing the lyrics are. The bass, drums, and guitar all flow together, and theirs also some keybaords in the back to add some depth to the song. 03. Checkered Floor - now the songs get longer and more slow. I find the guitar and bass to be really catchy in this song, and the lyrics are very good. Kinda picks up during the middle, but it's still a slow song and one of the songs that you should sit back and relax to. 04. Little Lover's So Polite - another song where the lyrics are catchy, and the instruments just mesmerize you. His voice picks up in this one at times, giving it a little bit of a difference from the repetitive manner in which he sings. 05. Future Foe Scenarios - although this song is faster paces, and the vocals are a lot harder, this song never never caught onto me. Again, the lyrics are amazing, but it didn't impress me. Maybe you'll like it though. 06. Waste It On - nice bass intro, but the lyrics are bland compared to the rest of the album, and in my opinion the song is poorly done. I'd skip this track. 07. Lazy Eye - this is the song that pretty much everybody has heard at some point. The guitars are catchy, and the lyrics are very very nice. Near the end his voice pickups, and although the song drags on at the end, it flows nicely. Because this song is so overplayed it's lost some of it's touch, but still a very good song. 08. Rusted Wheel - a very slow song, probably the slowest on the album. Nothing impressive here, but don't skip this song. Like most of the album, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ambient noises. 09. Dream At Tempo 119 - the best guitar riff on the album, although that's all that stands out on this song. I usually skip it, as their are better songs through out the album. 10. Three Seed - my favorite song. nice bass into, and the guitars are pleasant. Long, slow song, but it's the best song to chill to. Play this song over and over, it will hook on you very fast, and whenever you want a song to relax to, this will be it. 11. Common Reactor - pure crap. Don't listen to it. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, Silversun pickups have great potential, but the repetitive nature of this album will turn a lot of people away, and it's sad becuase this band is great. If you are looking for music to relax to, get this album. Although I gave it only a fairly decent grade, it's one of my favorite CDs, and I recommend this band to everybody. // 7

Carnavas Reviewed by: Iateplanethome, on july 29, 2009

Sound: Silversun Pickups debut album is 'Carnavas'. It's a 56 minute ride into the L.A bands weird world of breathy vocals, screaming, fuzzbox guitars and pounding drums/Bass. (and a bit of keyboard) Yes this 'formula' has been done before, (My Bloody Valentine & Smashing Pumpkins come to mind) but somehow...somehow, 'Silversun Pickups' manage to make it their own, without sounding like a ripoff of both bands. Be warned though, This album does take a bit of getting used to. You need to give it a few listens to really start to appreciate it, because it is such a bizzare album (In a good way mind you!) The Album starts off with 'Melatonin' a songs that sounds like a MBV song. So much so, that it could have been taken off 'Loveless'. However SSPU have added their own sound to it, so it doesn't come across as a complete rip off of the Shoegaze pioneers. Instead it says: We have listened to MBV and here is their influence on us. It's kind of paying homage to them. 'Melatonin' doesn't sound all that unique. But it is still a pretty good song. And a powerfull opening song at that. And that pretty much sums up the whole album. From the dreamy lullaby of 'Common Reactor' to the harsh, abrasive guitar/vocals on 'Future Foe Scenarios' here is an album that doesn't try to do anything new. It sticks to the 'Shoegaze' formula to the letter. But that isn't really a bad thing. They pay homage to their heros and add their own sound into the mix, but it has still been heard before. However, sometimes you don't need to innovate that much if the sound you're looking for, had been tried and tested. Overall 'Carnavas' is a good album. It starts off strong but after 'Lazy Eye' the songs start to get weaker. But never once are they bad. It isn't that unique either, but SSPU have made good job of it. // 8

Lyrics: The one thing that you notice, is how the vocals really don't equal the instumentation on the album. (In terms of Quality) Brian Aubert is a great singer, don't get me wrong. He has a unique voice and it sounds really good. But he doesn't use it particularly well. Where the instuments chnage dynamics throughout course of the album, Brian's voice does not. The vocal melody (Yes I'm going to say melody as in one.) remains pretty much the same in every song. There doesn't seem to be much melody going on. This means that vocally it gets very boring and monotonous. It's a shame, because on the song(s) where he changes his dynamics and style (That award goes to 'Future Foe Scenarios') it really picks up and sounds fresh and exciting. But sometimes (Quite a lot) it just seems drag the songs on/down. With the lyrics, it's a similar story. Brian's Corgan-esque, poetic lyrics are good, but they seem to be incredibly random and disjointed. Example: 'checkered Floor' ''winded through monotone one foot on checkered floor head hung but still watching one dimlit figurine'' ''concealed pass it on appeal play along'' ''please don't stop singing cohorts are empty jars'' (Lyrics by Brian Aubert) The lyrics are not that bad. But they just don't flow or have any cohesive subject matter. I for one cannot figure out and connect with these lyrics, becuase there doesn't seem to be a clear topic in most of the songs. With Billy Corgan, (whose lyrical influence is present), Some of his Lyrics arn't all that great. But he has a strong sense of vocal melody backing it up, so you don't really notice the (sometimes) poor lyrics. You focus on the melody instead. In the case of Brian Aubert, He has neither, so it gives the listener, nothing to focus on. Again this is a shame because you've got great instrumentation paired with average lyrics and a good voice but no sense of melody. Overall I think the Vocals/Lyrics arn't bad, they are just not that good either. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall 'Carnavas' leaves the impression of a band that have lots of potential and good ideas, but they havn't really captured them on record. That said, 'Carnavas' is still a good album. Like most albums, it has it's good points and bad points. I think if/when SSPU manage to inject more melody into their sound (vocals in particular)then they will be onto a winner. -Ben Tidy- Note: If you listen to 'Lazy Eye' and then to '1979' by the Smashing Pumpkins' they are strikingly similar. Not 'My band ripped off your band' similar but the drum beat and overall feel of the song reminds me of '1979'. // 8

Comments