Neck Of The Woods review by Silversun Pickups

• Released: May 8, 2012
Silversun Pickups: Neck Of The Woods

Since forming in 2002 outside of L.A., the Silversun Pickups have a unique brand of alternative rock mixed with just a twist of shoegaze that gives them a sound uniquely their own. Silversun Pickups are establishing what appears to be a 3 year pattern in their album releases, with their first release "Carnavas" releasing in 2006. "Swoon" followed in 2009, and after a long wait we have "Neck Of The Woods" in 2012. There are eleven tracks on the album, with the average length somewhere right under 5 minutes. The album clocks in at just under an hour total. The first track, "Skin Graph", had a very slow intro and at first I was starting to get worried, but then the song bloomed and the rest of the album flowed nicely. After my first listen to the album, when I've went back for subsequent listening, I seem to get tired on waiting for the first track about half the time and skip it when I'm about 20 seconds in.

I will try not to waste too much time talking about Silversun Pickups's previous releases, but first I have to say that I enjoyed "Swoon" much more than "Neck Of The Woods". Maybe it needs to grow on me a little bit I still love the album but maybe my expectations were a little higher than what was delivered. I'm not saying this is a bad album... I'm not even saying it is mediocre it is a good album I just enjoyed "Swoon" more. I really enjoyed Silversun Pickups use of fuzz in the past and it seems like there is a lot less of it on "Neck Of The Woods". Still, there are some great riffs and with the exception from a slow start with track one, the album kept me engaged throughout. If you can't tell yet, I'm fairly conflicted on the album while I am enjoying the album, I am mourning the album I thought it would be in my own mind. Either way, it still made it onto my MP3 player in its entirety.

There is something special about the way that Brian and Nikki's vocals harmonize with each other. I can't put my finger on it, but I can't get enough of it. I've heard the vocals compared to the vocals of Coheed And Cambria and I have to disagree with that. Possibly Brian's vocals alone can be compared to Coheed And Cambria, but with the addition of Nikki it becomes something else entirely. The vocals, besides being well mixed and such, also have a great haunting quality to them that fits their music perfectly. The lyrics match the music and are well executed that is the bottom line.

On the subject of lyrics, they are pretty solid and about what you would expect from Silversun Pickups. From the single, "Bloody Mary", you have the following lyrics: "Drown you out/ And left you with the sounds/ We'll spoil good nights/ Replacing lullabies/ How could they never notice? / What they planted in your space/ See you laughing in a picture/ But I know what's out of frame/ You barely cried/ But you made it out alive/ And I'm so proud/ That you're in my hands now/ If we grew up together/ You would find it's not the same/ I want to jump inside that picture/ Show you what you gained/ You can stay here long enough/ We can play with Bloody Mary/ Say her name into the dark/ Activate our nerve endings". So, kind of creepy and otherworldly which fits right in with what we've grown to expect from Silversun Pickups.

My favorite song on the album would have to be "Bloody Mary", or at least it is for the time being. I really enjoy all the songs on the album. If I had to choose my least favorite song it would have to be "Skin Graph" just because it feels like the song is just too slow to get started. My second favorite song from the album is "The Pit", which is definitely worth checking out as well as "Bloody Mary" if you are one of those people who download songs instead of albums. I'm also really enjoying "Mean Spirits" and "Gun-Shy Sunshine". I would say overall the album is worth buying. It isn't "Swoon", but it isn't a bad album. At each listen I'm enjoying it a little more, and it is my go-to album right now when I turn an album on. I'm enjoying Nikki's bass playing on the album a lot while it isn't mind-blowing it is very solid and the bass lines are really interesting.

Superperfex
    When reviewing an album, refrain from giving an opinion until you at least hear it 5 or 6 times. This one is a grower, and let me just tell you that I think this is just as good, maybe better, than Swoon.
    hypercuts
    yearzero
    This album does not disappoint. Busy Bee in particular is a profoundly beautiful song!
    Superperfex
    hypercuts wrote: I wholeheartedly agree with Superperfex. I hated 'Bloody Mary' when it was originally banded about as a promo, but after listening to the full album a fair few times, it fits perfectly in and the album itself, an entity, is probably better than 'Swoon'.
    That's how I felt with the single as well. But you have to truly listen to something from start to finish as an album, like listening to song, a few times to get the idea of the full album. I think this is their most unified album yet and strongest effort thus far!
    WhiteStripesIII
    Loving the album, don't think it'll grow on me as much as Swoon, but I'd put Swoon down as one of my all time favourite albums.
    demon.guitarist
    I agree that it is a grower. Was dissapointed on first listen but stuck with it and I ****in love it now. It's not Swoon II, but that's the beauty of it.
    intothe
    The album art reminds me of American Footballs self titled album...great CD. Haven't heard this one though, will probably check it out.
    LtOreo
    This CD is a grower, for sure. But i'm still pretty disappointed in it. Good review.
    auxili
    Nothing can really compared to The Royal We and Growing Old is Getting Old, in terms of intense progressive emotional awesomeness. This album's still good though. I'm just not fully liking the "We decided to make it more poppy solely because we didn't want the album to sound the same as Swoom" decision that the band made.
    wbalston
    i want to see bass tabs for this album ASAP! niki is my role model as a bassist and i love the bass on this album. SSPU = amazing
    keno444
    This album took a few listens for me to appreciate, but I ended up falling in love with it! If you like this album, be sure to check out my music blog: http://bit.ly/1KEiYGl
    WantsLesPaul
    I need to give this one a listen. Both Carnavas and Pikul were brilliant all the way through and Swoon has some of my most favorite songs by them.
    auxili
    Bands always slightly change their sound as they continue making music, and it's often based on their emotions, what they're going through, what they've learnt, and personal taste changing. But with this album, this change in direction isn't really inherently coming from the band. It's coming from their new producer and his notes. And that's kind of a disappointment. I'm much more interested in what the band is able to create on their own. For example, I'm really interested in how this album sounded before their new producer got involved (the band has stated the producer changed everything about the whole album). I'm a big SSPU fan. It's not that this album is bad. It's great. But I definitely hope their next album is more creatively driven and inspired by SSPU, and SSPU alone.
    oncenfutureidio
    The mentality to listen to this album is that it is not any previous SSPU cd and must be treated differently. Some stuff is very different (no intense fuzz on guitar and more keys and synth), but the cd is awesome and is a great cd from a great band. IF it isn't that good the first listen, I promise it gets better with every listen, that's how I feel every SSPU cd is. Every song grows on me and it is a really well done cd. Worth the wait and it's an hour of great music. SSPU do not disappoint!