Pikul review by Silversun Pickups

• Released: Jul 26, 2005
Silversun Pickups: Pikul

Silversun Pickups fans listen up! No one has done a review for this album here yet so it needs to be done justice. This is the EP released before Carnavas, and it's just as good in different ways. The sound is grungy and lo-fi, but at the same time has a bit more space in the arrangements than Carnavas. A lot of the songs are progressive and work up to a climax but some just stay chilled-out and restrained while both Brian Aubert (lead singer) and Nikki Monninger (bassist) sing the vocals at different parts. Examples of both these premises are the opener 'Kissing Families' where Brian starts calm but works up to an extremely effective rant at the end, and the beautiful 'Booksmart Devil' where the bass and drums carry the song and the male and female vocals blend nicely.

Brian Aubert sings lower and with a more menacing tone than on Carnavas where his voice is quite high and has a pop feel to it. The opening song 'Kissing Families' has one of the most memorable lines, 'It's everything that's connected and beautiful and now I know just where I stand'. I don't think the lyrics are the most important thing on this album and they seem to be just melodic accompaniments to the sound, but his husky voice suits the grungy sound of the band.

In some ways I prefer this album to Carnavas as it is more varied and has good songs and dynamics. As I've mentioned 'Kissing Families' and 'Booksmart Devil' are the highlights along with '...All The Go Inbetweens' which has a great feel to it. There's a disappointment in 'Creation Lake' which is too repetetive and doesn't go anywhere but I suppose is relaxing. If it got lost I suppose I would have to buy it again, I recommend this album!

bigjohnsta
    CAN SOMEONE SUBMIT THE TABS FOR THIS EP PLEASE!?!?!?! PREFERABLY "...All the Go Inbetweens"