Show And Tell review by Silvertide

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Silvertide: Show And Tell

Silvertide released Show & Tell in September of 2004, however I didn't get around to buying until 2005. I only knew their first single "Ain't Comin' Home" at the time, so I had no idea what to expect. Having said that, I was blown away. The band is a great combination between classic rock and more recent musical trends. They sound similair Buckcherry, but with a lot more energy and a more genuine sleaze element. Nick Perri obviously draws influence from many famous classic rock guitarists, will throwing in his own influence. Walt Lafty has a monster voice, and the rest of the band sounds tight. They're one of few new bands coming out with this style, but they're doing it quite well none the less.

The lyrics aren't, per se, the most clever or deep lyrics ever written. There are some lyrics that you find yourself repeating in your head or catch yourself singing, and I'm pretty sure that's what the band was going for. They're not poets, they're rock musicians. THe lyrics also are perfect for the medium they're presented on, they keep that old school rock and roll vibe with themes of love, drugs and, of course, rock 'n roll. Singer Walt Lafty has a voice that perfectly compliments the sound of the band, and he presents the lyrics with a lot of convinction and confidence, which you don't see as much these days. He's also obviously taken note from some classic rock vocalists as he does some Scat-singing, clear delivery and even fakes an orgasm (excellent build up to a guitar solo). As a side note, the occasional back of vocals are very well done, so kudos to the other band members for always being there for the perfect back-up when needed.

This album isn't exactly the first time this genre has been tackled, but standing next to other modern bands within' the same genre (Buckcherry, Black Stone Cherry) they are doing a much more convincing job. The vocals and music kick some serious ass, and the band sounds very tight. I'd say the stand out tracks on the album are, "Ain't Comin' Home", "Mary Jane", "California Rain", "Devil's Daughter" and "You Want It All." I think the thing I like most about the album is the guitar playing, it's a good change from the common radio-rock bands you see far too much of. The only thing I dislike about the album is the occasional conformity to what's expected of bands nowadays, most prominent in the radio ready single, "Heartstrong." I feel like the band could've been a bit more experimental in those areas, but overall very very good album. If it was stolen I'd hunt them down and burn them a copy, because Silvertide deserves to have everyone hear them.