Meet Me In The Afterlife Review

8.7
 9.9
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Meet Me In The Afterlife Reviewed by: Thesageofonion, on june 22, 2011

Sound: Rock with a swagger. Twin guitar attack. Amazing vocals worthy of Queen. There's some psychedelica, classic bluesy rock, complicated progressive structures, jumbo sized riffs but mainly pure joy of music! If your music collection sometimes seems jaded with nothing you want to hear, Simeon Soul Charger are having a party at their house! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are not simple and without a lyrics sheet the words create an atmosphere more than anything else. But like opera, you don't need to know the words to know what's going on. However, on "Please" there's a a chain gang blues vibe going on "Please set me free from the things I cannot change and let me be" but there's 13 notes in the word please! The song "Dear Mother" about a tortured son rejecting his mother's religion "I'm sure that you'll be doing well while your sweet children burn in hell, the burden you wish you could ignore". The singer's range and emotion is outstanding. He could sing Queen or "Jesus Christ Superstar" without a problem. // 8

Overall Impression: The songs are diverse and original and whip along with so much enjoyment it's unfair to stick the band in a box. I suppose their sound could be compared to Queen's early albums but there's a new freshness here. At over 11 minutes, "Swallowing Mouth" is the final track and sprawls in several parts through a weird circus of sound before pulling it all together towards the end with rampaging guitars and everything else at eleven. This is an album that I would replace straight away if it was lost. Great fun! // 9

Comments