Since Then Review

Simon McBride: Since Then
Released: 2010
Genre: Blues-Rock
Label: Nugene Records
This album is quality blues-rock. From the first brilliant track all the way to the end, it is an excellent album.
 8.9
 8.3
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Since Then Reviewed by: ibaneztron, on may 03, 2011

Sound: 01. Take My Hand - 10/10 02. Hell Waters Rising - 9/10 03. Save Me - 5/10 04. Down To The Wire - 10/10 05. Be My Baby - 9/10 06. From The Other Side - 8/10 07. The Promise - 8/10 08. Tear Down Your Soul - 9/10 09. Dead Man Walking - 8/10 10. Dancing On The Sidewalk - 6/10 11. Coming Home - 9/10 12. Devils Road - 9/10 13. The Truth - 6/10 The sound levels on this album are perfect. This is probably due to Simon being an accomplished sound engineer, shown by all his live performances being perfectly set up. The lead vocals have perfect levels, as do the other elements of the band (Drums and Bass). The only criticism I have is that occasionally the rhythm guitar (also Simon), is hard to figure out. That's just because I'm a guitarist though, and I like to be able to work out what's going on so that I can play it myself. For most listeners, there will be no problems at all. // 9

Lyrics: All the lyrics on this album are very well written. They all go very well with the songs they are in. An example of this is "You know I feel, draggin' my a-s around", in "Down To The Wire". The song is obviously about the difficult life of a touring musician, shown clearly by the lyrics. All the lyrics on the album go well with whatever tonality and key they may be in, and they accentuate the feeling and mood of the song. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is quality blues-rock. The music created by Simon and the band on this album is amazing. From the first brilliant track all the way to the end, it is an excellent album. There are a few weaker tracks though. The tracks which stand out on this are "Take My Hand", "Hell Waters Rising", "Down To The Wire", "Dead Man Walking", "Tear Down Your Soul", and "Coming Home". There is a great variety within this record. There is the fast, powerful "Take My Hand", and in contrast, there are slow tracks with extremely tasteful playing such as "Sweet Angel", and "Down To The Wire". There even elements of folk in "Coming Home". There is originality on nearly every song. The album seems to be about the life of Simon McBride, shown by "Take My Hand", "Down To The Wire", and "Coming Home". Some weaker parts are perhaps the drums in "Devils Road", and the intro of "Save Me" If this was stolen a hundred times, I would buy it again every time. I would encourage every guitarist and blues lover to buy this. // 9

Comments