Get Your Heart On! review by Simple Plan

• Released: Jun 21, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Simple Plan: Get Your Heart On!

Simple Plan have moved towards a pop-punk sound in this album and their so-cal sound is no longer present. Nonetheless, the record as a whole is quite catchy and although die-hard Simple Plan fans may be a bit bummed about the fact that they have changed, it's still an enjoyable record to listen. Simple Plan have gone for a very poppy sound in this album and songs such as "Anywhere Else But Here" show this. Sadly, this record has a very digital sound and is hardly as raw as the material we heard in "No Pads, No Helmets... Just Balls". However it has some redeeming songs such as "Summer Paradise"; though acoustic and very mellow, it is easily one of the better tracks of the album. The song "Last One Standing" is somewhat similar to their former sound, though more mature. I personally enjoy the simplistic values that punk rock artistes thrive under, such as Simple Plan's earlier works. This record, as their last, is not what we would hope to hear from a punk band of such calibre and ability.

The lyrics maintain Simple Plan's themes of personal strife, perhaps the only aspect of the band that has stayed constant throughout all their albums. The lyrics maintain their themes. Bouvier's singing is as brilliant as ever as his vocal prowess is felt throughout every song. His ability to song both fast paced and slow paced songs as well as hold notes without struggling and cracking show his vocal ability. This can be heard in "Gone Too Soon". This singing is perhaps the most redeemable aspect of the record as an entirety.

Not their best sadly, lacks feeling and emotion in my opinion. As harsh as that may be, any Simple Plan fan will understand what I mean due to the simple fact that this album is difficult to relate; the songs cannot be used as a means of venting as compared to. The songs that stand out are the acoustics, and because of their simplicity. Perhaps what I disliked the most about this album was the use of synthesizers and other digitally oriented instruments, they made the record all to "poppier", if that's even a word. Everyone will have their own opinions on an album so I'd love to hear the opinions of other Simple Plan fans.