No Pads, No Helmets... Just Balls review by Simple Plan

• Released: Mar 19, 2002
Simple Plan: No Pads, No Helmets... Just Balls

I discovered Simple Plan totally by accident through another band's website (I don't remember which band) and ended up getting their album. I had only heard 10 second clips of their songs on the internet at first, but when I heard the album I was pleasantly surpised. They're unmistakeably pop/punk with catchy guitar riffs and lyrics with Blink-182-style singing. Mark Hoppus (Blink-182) even makes a small appearance in 'I'd Do Anything'. The bonus live track on the CD ('American Jesus' by Bad Religion) is fantastic also and shows the band are capable of making all kinds of neato music.

The lyrics are mostly good and fit into the song nicely except for maybe 'I'm Just A Kid' where it goes "nobody cares 'cause I'm alone in the world is having more fun than me"?!? well, it doesn't make sense to me. The lyrics are very 'Blink-182 style', again, theres songs about being dumped and even songs about 'Alien girlfriends'('My Alien'), which really shows the bands influences. The singing is loud and at times quite uh, 'whiney'? and fits the music and the style perfectly.

This is one of the 'must-have' albums of any music fan, but is best-suited for fans of Blink-182 and New Found Glory. However, the album doesn't come close to Blink-182's 'Take Off Your Pants And Jacket' but it sure has a good old go. The best songs on this album are probably 'I'd Do Anything', 'I'm Just A Kid' and 'Addicted', the worst being 'Meet You There'- its a good song but 4:15 is just a bit too long. If it was ever lost or stolen, I'd probably be really, really upset but I'd just get one of my friends to copy me a new one and buy Gob 'Foot In Mouth Disease' or something instead.