Saturday review by Simple Plan

• Released: Jun 21, 2015
  • Reviewer's score: 3.7 Poor
Simple Plan: Saturday

Allow me to start with a quick background of my experience with Simple Plan. I've been a huge fan of the pop punk Canadian group since their debut album, "No Pads, No Helmets... Just Balls." For those who have been keeping up with the band, you know that their sound has changed tremendously since that 2002 release. Their latest LP, "Get Your Heart On!," was a bit too pop and techno at parts, but I was able to appreciate some tracks.

With all of that aside, Simple Plan has released their first single off of their upcoming album. This will be the band's fifth studio effort. The track is titled "Saturday." Let' go over it:

The track starts off with what sounds like a group of young children shouting out the letters in the word "Saturday" with a bright drum beat behind them. To me, that was strike one. Leading into the verse, you get the main idea that this is a party song about how great a Saturday night is going to be. The group of children are found in other parts of the song shouting things like "Oh Yeah!" and "Saturday Night!" How punk rock is that?!

The closest thing I could relate this song to is "Can't Keep My Hands Off You" off of SP's last album, "Get Your Heart On!" The chorus is backed up with strong power chords and the verses are quieter, but still very upbeat.

The song features a keyboard solo which confused me. There are five members of Simple Plan and not a single one of them has ever played the keyboard on stage. Perhaps it's something new, but let me tell you, it was very disappointing to hear. This keyboard solo was a cheap knockoff solo resembling the sound of Walk The Moon's smash hit "Shut Up and Dance." At the end, the keyboard climbs it's way to it's highest note. That was strike two.

It was obvious that Simple Plan were going for a cliché, upbeat party song. Lines like "people throw their hands up higher than the ceiling" are ones I've heard millions of times. So that would be strike three.

The vibe that this song gives out contradict its lyrics a bit. The verse sounds like the type of song my innocent 10-year-old cousin would listen to. However, by the time you reach the chorus, they talk about getting drunk and vomiting in taxis. That gives me no clue as to who their target audience would be. Nobody on my college campus would play this song at a party, that's for sure.

Simple Plan also gives reference to Journey with the line "We can go get drunk staying up all night singing 'don't stop believing' till the morning light." For some reason, it's the only part of the song I like. The melody for that part came out good.

Again, this is coming from a real Simple Plan fan: this track was a poor attempt at fishing for a hit song for radios to stream. Honestly, I thought they were better than that. Even if it actually does receive high billboard ratings, it will just confirm that Simple Plan has officially sold out.

This track really disappointed me as a fan. It hurt me just to write this review, but I felt like I needed to voice my opinion. I really don't know what to expect from their new album.

mustained9
    Disgusting. I expected more from these guys. Another band going down the shitter... Sigh.... Just kill yourselves now please.
    trevinorodriguezpablo
    I think that is a very cool and good song, maybe SP it's not the same since their debut album, but they are tryin to still make good music and honestly they still got it, they never lost it, S A TUR DAY Night!
    conor123
    Anyone notice that "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y" bit is taken from Bay City Rollers' "Saturday night" track? C'mon Simple Plan, did you need to make it so obvious?