Simple Plan review by Simple Plan

• Released: Feb 12, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Simple Plan: Simple Plan

This isn't the same pop-punk band people know. This sounds like a whole different band. I watched the bonus DVD that it came with, It was the making of the album. They say that at this time they are very influenced by Justin Timberlake and othe pop/rappers. I'm not hear to bash because this band does have some credibilty with the other albums but this album isn't the same. This band has come along way from thier roots meaning when they went by the name Reset back when they were political/hard punk. Now the band is trying to hard to be popular but what they don't realize they don't ahve a huge fan base, considering most of the bands fans were in middle school when they started and now are in highschool. To mature ear this isn't that cool. In my mind they took too long to produce this. This album is over produced if you will. This will appeal to very little, they probably have lost all punk fans with this and have already lost all the teenage girl fans with fact only this strictly because girls move from 1 band to another like Fall Out Boy, Boys Like Girls and other pop bands (by that I mean not all girls of course). They are really a couple years behind. Sorry if any of this offends you.

Very basic, these lyrics have very simple words and easy rhymes. The lyrics are not over all very creative. The singing on the album is the same voice as the other albums but tries too on the ballads. One other thing that needs to be said is Chuck (the drummer) is too good to be replaced by techno drums.

This album isn't their best. Lets just go down the line. When I'm Gone, I don't really dig the techno drums but the song is pretty good overall when the chorus kicks in. Take My Hand, one of the best on the album, it has a punkish type of sound and is one of the best tracks. The End, most people will be scared away by the begining but I actually the beat, then the song speeds up which is really good. Your Love Is A Lie, first off obvious boulevard of broken dreams ripp off riff, Justin Timberlake like sound, sounds like something my sister or mom would like and the cheezy part is their is no explict version around as this is the only swearing song on the album. Save You, slow poppy song, about cancer. Generation, the worst song on the album, I can't get by the cheezy trumpet and the fake drums. Time To Say Goodbye, the best song on the album, this song is really really good, just like the good old days. I Can't Wait Forever, very cheesy piano, an obvious example of trying too hard sounds like something off the disney channel or a lost song at a junior high dance. Holding On, this song sounds like an angels and airwaves song or U2 song. No Love, this song is alright just some dumb piano in bits and pieces. What If, good song once it gets into it. Ok that's all the songs, this album would be good, if they kept the same old sound, this certainly isn't my bag. This band needs to look back at one of their oldest songs back when they were in reset (the song is pollution): "I'm not a walking commercial, my life is not a rehearsal." These guys are the definition of selling out, these are not the same guys, this is a new band, dubbed the "New Simple Plan." If this album was lost I would not buy it again.

Mik3y
    xMissMurderx
    Sheesh, no one repects good music anymore. Just because bands are popular doesn't mean they're bad, whether it's SP or FOB they still make good music. And like you said that they're going to lose their "teenage girl fans" because they move from one band to another, then they aren't really fans, now are they? Those are just people trying to be cool with what they like, and so are the people that won't like a good band just because they're on the radio or whatever. If you can't handle a more mature album than the last (and really, "Very basic, these lyrics have very simple words and easy rhymes," is such bs. This CD is a great combination of the simple lyrics SP usually uses and more descriptive ones too. Overall the lyrics are even better than the other albums.) then review something that actually sucks and stop bashing on honestly good bands that try to do something more creative. "These guys are the definition of selling out, these are not the same guys, this is a new band." And please. Get a life if you think something so screwed up like that. And I'm sure you've stayed the same for eight years. Cause no one ever changes. Right. Don't mind the sarcasm. Is it so bad to try something new? Man.
    suckmyweenis
    uv_abcs wrote: also, they can't make the same music over and over again.....they need to be different on every album...
    Agreed.
    uv_abcs
    don't write anything if it means insulting the band/artist!!!! just don't write at all!!!
    uv_abcs
    and everyone has different musical taste and styles so just respect other's type of music.....and Simple Plan isn't Emo!!!
    SP_fan08
    the new direction that they have gone has obviously got peoples attention in the UK because "when i'm gone" put them in straight at #26 in the charts, and "love is a lie" will land even higher
    AnAzNGuitarist
    I actually like this album more than their previous albums. But then again, I base songs by the actual songs and not the band. Take My Hand is probably my favourite off the whole album, and most of the previous Simple Plan songs I heard of the most were always just a tad too whiny or kiddish. But this album has a bit more that people can relate to. I don't know; overall it's an okay album. It's not great, but not bad.
    Perpetual Burn
    Simple Plan arn't emo, there just sappy radio pop. Having straightened that out, are you lot that like Simple Plan over the age of 16?
    wildchild6660
    atommy_90 wrote: I agree with your views, but I find it rather funny that you would call it "a boulevard of broken dreams rip off riff", since Boulevard of Broken Dreams is already a rip off of Oasis' Wonderwall
    The fact that boulevard sounds similar to wonderwall is just a coincidence. Green day don't need to rip of oasis. They got more talent than oasis will ever have.
    suckmyweenis
    I feel sorry for most of you guys, you are missing out on a wonderful album. This album really hits home. Not to mention, you are get something completely wrong here. Music with passion is not emo. Do you really expect artists to write songs about rainbows and butterflies? This is reality; if you are convinced otherwise, then maybe you should wake up.
    NoLimits_07
    IfDaysEnd
    NoLimits_07 wrote: damn people here...why post crappy comments about them this and why even read this review if u dont like the band...so stupid...just go read into ur favorite bands review... people here are disappointing me...damn...get a life..u haters...maybe because ur just jealous that you are not as famous as them...think about that..jerks...and I think some stupid ***hole is gonna quote me here..well FU! I dont care what u think.
    Clearly this is a comment section, not a positive comment section or a negative comment section, which means that people can type what they want whenever they want. Second, I don't think ANYBODY is jealous of any band because they're famous, unless you're a less famous band and you're competing against each other. Stop saying things like "I hate you because you are jealous of my favorite band, because they're famous and you're not!" Lastly, I too hate scene bands, pop-punk bands and most of the commercial stuff on the tv. But face it, there has been, and will be bands like this till the end of time. People have different taste in music, and that's why because bands like this one and many others exist. Just keep supporting the bands you like.
    ck1791
    This review sucks so bad.. But Simple Plan doesn't, don't you see? They aren't kids anymore. How do you think they are supposed to sound when they are all about 28-30 years old! Whoever hates this album and disses Simple Plan need to grow up!
    Riz_kan
    This Band is Really good..i just dont understand why you all doesnt like it..
    haloed devil
    Simple Plan was one of the first bands I ever liked before I moved on to Yellowcard, The Fray and Story of the Year. So, I don't wanna trash them even though they're music is going downhill. I just hope they get back on their feet sooner.
    crabhammer217
    Though I dont like all of the songs on this cd I think it's good. Take my hand is one of the most rocking songs around. Sure, their style's changed. But cmon, lets face it their are so many bands with this same style, so at least they tried to change a bit.
    guitarfreak222
    Mik3y wrote: I love this album, and whilst i would never try and force my opinion on others, this review is one of the worst i have EVER read lol And before anyone flames me, i do not wish to make one of my own, i just think a review should be from an objective standpoint and not bias.
    Judging by the other Simple Plan reviews on this site which are all 10s that go (SIMPLE PLAN ROCKS AWESOME GUITAR YEAH GREAT VOCALS BEST ALBUM EVER!), I actually believe that this is one of the better simple plan reviews.
    steve16bball
    god im a huge simple plan fan and i surprised myself wen i 1st listened to it i was like wtf is this garbage?? i hate pop, and i miss the old simple plan this album blows they better come up with something better or just stop making music cuz they shudve stuck 2 their old sound
    emointhecorner
    this is stupid. Simple Plan is a great band! I've listened to the whole album and all the tracks are great. they aren't ripoffs. it's just that their kind of music is really popular right now so a lot of songs already sound alike. get a life, people!!!
    Loco23
    This review sucks, and simple plan rule! The only reason why they moved onto a sort of electronic sort of taste in this album was because they wanted something new rather then the same rock sounds over and over again
    TommyGun91
    I agree, and for the record they have a huge fanbase! Maybe, instead of reviewing an album to say how bad it is, review an album that you are gonna give credit too... I've been a fan of Simple Plan from the start, its not an emo album, its not an emo band, its some guys doing what they enjoy doing, so quite the ranting about them, they are better at what they do than any of you guys probably will ever be.. just cause they've got a successfull streak and you're jealous, don't slag them down, its pointless. Let them be more creative, let them build an even bigger fanbase, just stop all the hating, you wouldn't like it if it was you we all hated would you? no!
    TommyGun91
    jimmy666-9 wrote: I really hate emo bands.... just to keep stupid teenagers with no musical taste happy
    Simple plan aren't even emo! GET OVER THIS WHOLE EMO THING!
    atommy_90
    Novacane...
    filthylittleboy wrote: bad review, bad band, bad vibe wow...
    Indeed. The review is somehow worse than the band themselves.
    BlisteringDDj
    Very basic, these lyrics have very simple words and easy rhymes.
    They are Simple Plan... (And they suck)
    jimmy666-9
    roosterfx1
    guess the name speaks for itself. i mean how good can a band called Simple Plan really be...?
    metalgirl0
    Simple Plan is just another basic band that gets a lot of commercial success while us, real musicians, work our asses off to improve our skills, and maybe for some, start a band and try to get success... These days only untalented faggy bands get success, not good talented ones...
    guitar-pro_92
    leomx
    k, first of all, quit being haters, i like this album, i think its pretty kool, and no i'm not emo, and i was a fan of simple plan before and i'm still being 1.
    bolezhinkov
    no man fall out boy isnt good. neither is simple plan though - I forced myself to listen to every track on this cd and it was apainful expereince to say the least. the high pitched squeeling of whoever the singer is mixed with a completely weak attempt at becoming some kind of synth pop band (as is popular these days . . . and suprise! simple plan is jumping on the bandwagon) man theres like no parking at the synth pop building because the bandwagon is parked outside and so many bands are in it.
    tbarrettl
    guitar-pro_92 wrote: I heard this album at a fye and it did suck... I actually liked still not getting any.. but it seems like their going with everyone else and not sticking to what they are.... And stop rippin on fall out boy people come on they aren't that horrible...
    They are though at least they haven't completely ditched a "Rock" edge as appose to Simple Plan who have.
    NoIsEs333
    Not a fan of of the band personally but this review seems somewhat off topic, constantly referring to other bands or artists even if it alike in some way you should better describe it in your own words also its very clear you don't revise your writings because there were a lot of words missing here and there... Next time you should try a new approach to writing reviews... or not who knows... peace
    jabber025
    Even though i am not a diligent fan of the band and with all respect i don't think they are very creative in a musical aspect-as well as talented musicians,the review you posted pertains to that view of a biased and not even amateur level reflection of the band's cd. The information given is in bad terms, without talk of the melodic and musical phases, tempo, rhythm,tone, and frankly, it is abundant with unuseful opinianted facts and phrases. Work on your reviewing skills, and do not include p[ersonal opinion throughout the entire review, more like once per section.
    kanarf
    simple plan is the definition of emo. they just complain about EVERYTHING.