Still Not Getting Any... review by Simple Plan

• Released: Oct 26, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Simple Plan: Still Not Getting Any...

Well this album was finely recorded thanks to Bob Rock. Many people have said they have changed lots, a new trend in music lately; change. Sure they've changed slightly but they are still the typical "kiddy-safe pop band" they were before. Me Against The World is the heaviest song on this album but its not really heavy and has pretty bad lyrics with a corny sence of 'they're all out to get me', overall though I'd say its their best song. I noticed with a new and set up producer they had access to better equipment, hence the effects they incorperated into their songs. Guitars have improved, good for them. Bass - nothing remarkable about it, I'd like to see more effort. Drums - a let down for this band, just too simple - Simple Plan, I get it now. If the listener dislikes the vocals, what will he/she have if the rest doesn't stand out interesting. Maybe this band relies too much on vocals for their songs. From my experiences listening, I blocked out the vocals and listened to the song instrumentally and lost respect for them. Not very good musicians. Take a lesson from Travis Barker. Vocals haven't changed at all but the lyrics have slightly.

I've never liked Pierre's girly/teen voice and this album hasn't changed my opinion. Some songs on this album have some thoughtful lyrics, but as most kiddy-pop bands are, they usually only write lyrics that appeal to the young audience instead of something "timeless" (make your own meaning of this word). Only some songs have strayed away from the typical basic 'The World Hates Me' and 'I Can't Get The Girl' topics that this style is known for.

This album is better than "No pads, no helmets, just balls" but they have some more improvement to make before they have respect from a wider audience. You may not think that winning over that 'wider audience' makes a difference but it will in the long run because the band-wagon followers are only temporary fans until something else comes. If it was stolen I'd find the guy, slap him good and frisbee (my remaining CD). "No pads, no helmets, just balls" at him if he likes Simple Plan so much.