Beware The Heavens review by Sinergy

• Released: Jun 21, 1999
Sinergy: Beware The Heavens

After getting enough of Children Of Bodom, I decided to check their other projects like Warmen and Sinergy. And all I can say is, what went wrong with Alexi's writing skills? Sinergy is best power metal band I've heard so far. I'll say a few words about each song: 01. "Venomous Vixens": No intros and stuff needed, just riff and verse starts. Chorus is really nice, and I think Laiho's soloing is better than with COB. 02. "The Fourth World": My god, the beginning. Laiho should try something like that with Bodom. It sounds really similar to "Wishmaster" by Nightwish. Not my favorite song. 03. "Born Unto Fire And Passion": Short acoustic instrumental. Intro for next song. Pretty cool anyways. 04. "Warrior Princes": Fast song starting right from verse, no intros or riffs. Sinergy is very good at choruses. Solos are once again cool. 05. "Beware The Heavens": "Beware The Heavens" in beginning is a bit weird, but rest of song is just out of this world. The riff is really cool, verses also. And then comes the best part of the album: pre-chorus, that is taken from "Translucent Image" by Inearthed (pre-Children Of Bodom). It's just something great. Chorus is cool and solos and actually everything in this song. 06. "Razor Blade Salvation": Slow song. Not my favorite one, kind of boring, I'm not big fan of these kind of songs. Expect the solo - Laiho is good solo player even at slow tempo! 07. "Swarmed": Another fast song. Lot's of soloing. Pretty cool. 08. "Pulsation": Another short acoustic instrumental. This time only with guitars. Somehow sounds like it could be done by Yngwie Malmsteen. Expect it's not fast. 09. "Virtual Future": Not so fast song. I don't like the singing that much in this one.

Lyrics seems to be typical power metal stuff, like "Warrior Princess" wich is about Princess Xena. Singer is Kimberly Goss, and she's a "good enough" singer. Her voice is nothing too special, but it works. Lyrics and her voice do fit the music. Also Laiho is heard on the intro of "The Fourth World", but be warned - it's nothing like Children Of Bodom.

I haven't heard other albums yet, so can't compare. But compared to other power metal, this is my favorite so far. Everything works well and nothing more is needed. Laiho is/was incredible song writer and a good guitar player, and can't really say anything bad about the others. My favorite song is absolutely "Beware The Heavens". It's just perfect. Least favorite could be "Razor Blade Salvation", but it ain't that bad after all. I would really recommend this to anyone who likes Children Of Bodom's early stuff, or power metal at all.