Kingdom Come review by Sir Lord Baltimore

Sir Lord Baltimore: Kingdom Come

This is the first album by hard rock band Sir Lord Baltimore, released in 1970. Honestly, I think this band is really underrated. You can hear ruthless riffs, amazing solos, aggressive and fast drumming and a very competent bass. This is arguably one of the heaviest albums of the 70's. Sometimes is even hard to believe this was released in 1970, it sounds so ahead of its time. Just like many releases from the same year, like Black Sabbath's debut and Deep Purple's "In Rock". It's also known sometimes for its review in Creem magazine, classifying this album as "heavy metal". Probably one of the first times this term was used to define a musical genre. Sir Lord Baltimore was formed in 1968, and its line-up consisted of John Garner (lead vocals, drums), Louis Dambra (guitar) and Gary Justin (bass). In this album, you can find pure hard rock from the first song, "Master Heartache", to the last, "Ain't Got Hung On You". But also you find some elements of psychedelic rock, like in the title-track and "Lake Isle Of Innersfree" (in stark contrast to the rest of the album, this one here is a very calm song played on acoustic guitar). Truly amazing album, and essential to any hard rock fan.

Most of the lyrics on the album talks about women and love/relationships with them. The only exception here is for the title-track, which talks about something unreal, like "Shining wizards bring the rain/Shooting arrows at the sun". Drummer John Garner is the singer here, and this guy has one powerful voice. Sometimes it goes pretty shrill (especially at his crazy sudden "screams"), but most of the time it's not like that. It's pretty awesome.

Well, that's it. If you're a hard rock fan and never listened to this, go listen to it now. You will be amazed. And if you already listened, you probably love it. This is pure, straight to the point hard rock. I would point "Kingdom Come", "Master Heartache" and "Pumped Up" as the best songs here, but seriously, the whole album is amazing. A true masterpiece. Like I said before, essential to any hard rock fan. I would just smash my own balls with a hammer if I lost this.