Graveyard Classics 3 review by Six Feet Under

• Released: Jan 19, 2010
Six Feet Under: Graveyard Classics 3

Not one. Not two. But threethree times Six Feet Under have gone to the covers album well. And why the f--k not? It apparently suits them and their fanbase, and the Florida death metal institution isn't being uber-predictable and covering Raining Blood and Refuse/Resist or other notables and to-be-expected cuts on Graveyard Classics 3. Rather, SFU are going for deeper tracks from metal legends and they selected At Dawn They Sleep by Slayer and effectively put the SFU, pig squeal/Cookie Monster stamp on it. They're not Children of Bodom, either, covering silly songs by Andrew WK or Britney Spears, either. The closest thing to a fun rendition is The Ramones' Psychotherapy or even Twisted Sister's Destroyer. But for the most part, Six Feet Under take the art of the rendition as serious as the results of an HIV test on version 3.0. Metallica's Frayed Ends of Sanity gets the SFU treatment and the band does justice to the song, which, ahem, appears on And Justice For All. They also do right by Mercyful Fate's A Dangerous Meeting, too! Not you might be wondering how Chris Barnes, he of the ultra-deep, guttural growl can send up King Diamond, known for his high-pitched wail? Well scrowl down a bit to see what we think!

It's unavoidable for SFU to not SFU'ify the songs they elected to cover on this collection, thanks to the DNA-distinct vocal style of Barnes, who squeals like a pig and gives Cookie Monster a run for his cookie dough with his phlegm, throaty roars that could easily wake the dead from their length dirtnaps! The SFU covers have even caught the attention of Howard Stern, who has played them on air and chuckled at the death metal versions of some of the more classics bands, like AC/DC, that SFU has covered. Despite the sometimes goofy (and sometimes laughable, honestly) sound of his barks, none of these covers ever sounds like an insult or does wrong by the original. In essence, because of Barnes' vocal style, all the songs sound like SFU songs. The band doesn't stay too true to the originals, but the only twist they put on the songs are their own trademarks and hallmarks. So elitists and purists are probably going to hate these covers, while more open-minded (and eared) fans will get some enjoyment on the sonic shake ups that cover versions can often provide.

It's a covers album. Six Feet Under's diehard fans will chomp at the bit for this. Covers afficianados will do the same. Purebred fans who like things in their right place will find this excessive and unnecessary. It's all in your preference. Shockingly, it's not a tired convention three albums in; Six Feet Under don't bore with their takes on the classics. Also check out their version of Prong's staccato Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck, which adheres rather loyally to the original, as well as Anvil's Metal on Metal and Twisted Sister's Destroyer.

EpiExplorer
    Yay, covers are fun ;D But not by this lot. next album should be Six Feet Under: Staying six feet under and never being mentioned again.
    DragTheWaters11
    webbtje wrote: Oh god, not another pile of useless shit from this godawful excuse for a band, who can visibly no longer even be bothered to write their own bloody songs. Did they not care to look at the feedback for the last two albums?
    AA00P
    I never did understand the appeal of this band. Six Feet Under is just so... Boring.
    webbtje
    Actually, SFU released an album just over a year ago. And I doubt that a death metal legend like Chris Barnes gives a flying **** what opinion your insignificant self has . I enjoyed the previous two 'Graveyard Classics' albums, and am looking forward to this one.
    I am truly insulted. If I was that fussed about letting him know, I'd send SFU an email. And to be frank, he stopped being a 'death metal legend' when he got kicked out of Cannibal Corpse and flushed his career down the toilet.
    ixmouthforwarxi
    SlipknotZ wrote: Well... I can't stand death metal. And I hate it even more when they cover classics... 3 ****ing albums worth. I heard their cover of TNT, it was garbage. So I can't imagine this will be any better
    coming from a guy with the name "SlipknotZ" you just keep hating death metal
    Cambyses
    MatthewLeisher
    It's kinda cool when a band decides to do a cover on one of their albums, but it's even better when they leave that shit off their album and stick to performing covers during their live shows as an element to spice things up a bit. Not only does this band pretty much suck a bunch of dicks, but their vocalist looks like a Rob Zombie rip off, and Rob Zombie is a dipshit to begin with, so what does that make Chris Barnes if he's trying to look like a ****stick?
    Mookystinks
    i like them. murdered in the basement is an insane song..... bottem line, they still kick ass to me and thats all that matters in my mind.
    Kivarenn82
    SFU is fun and all.. but these "graveyard classics" are an atrocity. nothing has yet topped maximum violence
    King ofKumbucha
    Cambyses wrote: i think the metalheads will actually agree with me on this one, but six feet under is false and should be burned and died with fire
    Absolutely, Barnes just needs to retire.
    shaymack37
    Taint McGooch
    Who hired this lady to be part of the UG Team? are they not even screening people nowadays?
    webbtje
    shaymack37 wrote: If you already know that you think SFU is shit then why come in here? Are you that bored? Get a life.
    Possibly to make the point that we couldn't disagree more with the disproportionately nice review.
    dc-boy
    I would rather listen to Akon play guitar with a eye ball made from wood and sausage than listen to more shit from this poor excuse of musicians. Graveyard Classics 2 is a full cover of AC/DC Back In Black, the best album of all time, and look what they did to that. GO AND DIE SMELLY MEN
    thecheat3224
    This band is seriously still together? I own "Alive and Dead" and it is the worst CD I have EVER heard, hands down.
    SamuraiLP
    krook205 wrote: i am 12 and what is this?
    See, They've even begun to corrupt our children
    SlipknotZ
    Slaytan666
    Oh god, not another pile of useless shit from this godawful excuse for a band, who can visibly no longer even be bothered to write their own bloody songs. Did they not care to look at the feedback for the last two albums?[/quote] Actually, SFU released an album just over a year ago. And I doubt that a death metal legend like Chris Barnes gives a flying **** what opinion your insignificant self has. I enjoyed the previous two 'Graveyard Classics' albums, and am looking forward to this one.
    Albarranator
    this
    Goth JR
    Sounds like something worth listening to me. Maybe not buy, but listen. I love most of SFU's original music, but there's nothing wrong with doing a cover album... although three may be over kill.
    duncang
    Slaytan666 wrote: And I doubt that a death metal legend like Chris Barnes gives a flying **** what opinion your insignificant self has.
    He's right though. Chris Barnes is nothing more than a self parody.
    malfeitor665
    First off..spell check man... Secondly..I like six feet under (haunted moreso than the others)..but the graveyard classics haven't been good...though it sounds like they're going for songs closer to the style they play...chris barnes' vocals are really only suited to songs about zombies and killing people...and obviously not for most of the covers they choose to do...tnt was really really bad...
    metalfish666
    Personally I think the covers are pretty good covers, but... SFU really need to actually write their OWN songs, they won't get much fan respect from just doing a lot of covers, sure its fun, but its hardly original.
    jay131
    The cover looks awesome but that's all I'm gonna say, and chris barnes shouls lighten up his vocals and start an oldschool death metal band!!!
    Robert Gray
    I'm assuming I'm one of a few who think that on their best day, SFU can bust out a great, memorable tune.
    oxymorcide
    I love death metal, but seriously, cover albums? And 3 of them?? That is just lame... But, I must say I enjoyed the way the review as written.
    ktulu51
    Peteyeah wrote: Proofreading before publishing would have been nice.
    Agreed.
    megaironpriest
    3 cover albums seems like a bit much for any band.... At least they are honoring bands like Anvil though
    spitonastranger
    wow. if you could pick one thing in the world that a person on ultimate guitar couldn't find an excuse to give a glowing review to it would be this.
    webbtje
    As to the review, the claim that these albums appeal to the fanbase... well, that presumably is why, on metal-archives, Graveyard Classics 1's reviews average out at 23%, and part 2 averages out at 21%?
    jtbmetal123
    This is a great cover album. The best cover album in metal. SFU is awesome. i went to the release party of Graveyard classics 3. SFU ****ing rules.