The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack [Deluxe Edition] review by Sixx:A.M.

• Released: Nov 25, 2008
Sixx:A.M.: The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack [Deluxe Edition]

While fans ponder whether or not Sixx:A.M. is headed into the studio for another album, it's label Eleven Seven Music has wisely reminded the public that they still have an opportunity to purchase the band's first release, The Heroin Diaries. Originally released in August 2007 as a soundtrack for Nikki Sixx's autobiography of the same name, The Heroin Diaries is now available as a deluxe edition exclusively through Best Buy. Along with the original 13 tracks, you'll also receive a 6-track EP, recorded at various locations from the summer's Crue Fest. While the bonus disk is short and sweet (as all EPs are), it's a nice little addition tacked onto what was already a quality album.

It seems like ages since the first review for The Heroin Diaries, but it wasn't until the last half of 2008 that the single Life Is Beautiful really connected with a widespread audience. It makes sense that the label would want to extend publicity for the album, particularly with the holidays approaching. With or without a bonus EP, The Heroin Diaries features an eclectic mix of tunes that does capture the roller coaster ride of Sixx's life in The Crue and onward. While the sound is perfect for today's musical climate, it still would have been nice to hear some music that did have at least a little taste of Motley Crue in it. That might not be what sells these days, but this is an album that does tell the story of a very different time for Sixx - namely the 80s.

The Heroin Diaries features an extremely capable and talented group of musicians supporting Sixx. Vocalist James Michael is a powerhouse behind the mic and DJ Ashba can easily adapt to any musical genre heard on the record. The EP, which includes songs like Tomorrow, Heart Failure, and X-Mas In Hell, reveals an even more interesting side to Ashba. The guitarist sound amazingly like Mick Mars at several points during the live performances, and you actually hear a more metal side to the band during on the EP.

As deluxe editions go, an EP featuring material you hear on the first disk isn't necessarily the most exciting bonus out there. Quite a few bands throw in-depth DVDs as their bonus material, but I'm not going to knock Sixx:A.M. And the fact that this edition is available only at Best Buy? It's just a sign of the times - particularly for big names, it seems. The deluxe edition of The Heroin Diaries does appear to be less than it's original asking price back in 2007, so that's a nice little perk as well.

Nikki Sixx does provide a few spoken-word songs throughout the course of the album, and those usually end up being the most candid and interesting moments. The entire record is a pretty interesting listen, however, particularly when you realize that Sixx is pouring out his soul. Other bands can walk the line of personal ambiguity in their lyrics, but The Heroin Diaries is as intimate as it gets.

If you already own the original release of The Heroin Diaries, you don't need to immediately run out and purchase the deluxe edition. Apparently the EP will be released separately (if it hasn't already), so it's probably best to just hold out for that one if you're a diehard Sixx:A.M. fan. The EP is a great listen and the live audio mix is of a high quality, but the band doesn't stray too much from what you hear on the first release. Of course, if you don't own any Sixx:A.M. releases, you should head on over to Best Buy (or it's lovely cyberstore) to pick up a copy. You'll absolutely be getting more for your money.

jacob_mick
    Strato-Massacre : ever since i finished that book, i havent had the desire to drink/do any kind of drugs again, and it hasnt ONCE been a consciouis debate over it. ive just been offered this stuff and simply could not find the desire for it. lmao yeah right.
    Ironpriest
    this incredible music is what commercial radio rock SHOULD sound like. ironic since this will never get on the radio (In Australia anyway) Love the crue, lovin' this too.
    Dilpickle1
    Very nice album. But i dont see the sense in buying the special edition since it dont have much extra. my best girl-friend got me the book last christmas. My friend got the album for me. Its epic
    Tatersalad1080
    great book and cd i really dig james michael's voice it fits perfectly with the music in my opinion
    musicjunkie207
    Best album I've heard in years. Tommy Lee's solo album was pretty kick ass too, but Sixx: AM is amazing live....blew me away. I actually met James. Sweet guy with an incredible voice. 10/10 every time.
    cranium2001
    The Heroin Diaries is the first book I read straight through in a couple days. I like Motley Crue and I really like Sixx A.M. My wife met James and DJ at Cruefest and they were very cool, down to earth, grateful guys. Nikki is s really good songwriter too. IMO.
    Roberttitus
    NightEmbers wrote: that singer is awesome, hes got a good range and a great voice... and Nikkis lyrics dont hurt
    James Michael actually wrote some of the lyrics, based on what he read in the book.
    NightEmbers
    cruehead187
    what ever idiot said that this cd sucks must be deaf and and ignorant batard sixx am and the book r great good show that they put 2
    sea_bass
    Sixx am is amazing. Nikki really is a great song writer. he adapted nicely to the modern music scene w/ sixx am. DJ ashba is an amazing guitarist. he doesnt show it much on the album, but he is. James Michael is a phenominal singer aswell
    Strato-Massacre
    roses-r-red
    the book is my bible, and crue has been my favorite band since i was seven, and Sixx AM is a very interesting musicical direction, everyoone in crue has the side projects and ill have to say nikkis is my favorite, mainly cuz it wasd different, but still crued, vinces sounds too motley, and tommy... well ithink hes musicaly confused lol