This Is Gonna Hurt review by Sixx:A.M.

• Released: May 3, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Sixx:A.M.: This Is Gonna Hurt

Nikki Sixx's musical legacy with Motley Crue is undeniable at this point in the game, but the bassist continues to expand upon his repertoire with his latest project Sixx A.M. The trio, which is rounded out by vocalist James Michael and guitarist DJ Ashba, can never be accused of borrowing from the Crue's trademark sound, but they do tend to follow in the footsteps of the mainstream hard rock that is flooding the airwaves these days. On one hand Sixx A.M.'s sophomore record "This Is Gonna Hurt" doesn't lack big choruses, which for some will be enough to keep their interesting. The problem is that the band's sound is just a bit too watered down in the end, and that's not even taking into consideration the multiple ballads on the CD. The record kicks off with the title track, which is a fairly straightforward tune featuring a chorus that is akin with a Seether vibe. While DJ Ashba's solo work is impressive, the core verses/choruses don't throw out any huge surprises. The first single "Lines Of The Beautiful People' contains a sing-along-worthy chorus, and vocalist Michael does effectively show off his impressive range. In many ways Michael's vocals have a similar quality to Alter Bridge's Myles Kennedy, who currently does stand out as one of the best frontman around in terms of power/range. There is pretty heavy load of mellow tracks and ballads, which tends to give "This Is Gonna Hurt" (a title that almost begs for aggression) a pretty lackluster feel. "Are You With Me?' and "Oh My God" would fit in on any standard rock station, and those tracks could actually be deemed pop rock if we're completely honest. Not that we should make that an issue of good/bad, but the album does seem to be overly saturated with selections along those same lines. Because Sixx A.M. utilizes Michael's vocals well, it's completely understandable why they would feature stripped-down ballads like "Smile" which is basically Michael's vocals, acoustic guitar, subtle strings, and only the slightest percussion. Emotions do tend to drive "This Is Gonna Hurt", and "Smile" keeps a heartfelt, honest approach without feeling the need to stick in a big chorus at the end. One other interesting song of note is "Goodbye Friends", which although begins in a fairly mellow way, eventually morphs into some hybrid of HIM and Muse.

Quite a few tracks have a storytelling quality, whether in the pensive "Oh My God" ("She was born at 6 a.m. on new year's day; In an alley right at the heart of where the homeless children play") or the La-La-Land-gone-wrong offering "Deadlihood" ("The sun is shining; Though everything's dying; Your stars burned out for good; Somewhere in Hollywood"). The themes do seem a little predictable and expected, and that actually is slightly distracting in the end. Given the fact that Nikki Sixx has once again written an accompanying book to go along with "This Is Gonna Hurt", the prose might provide a bit more originality.

There isn't a huge leap from the first to the second record, but that also means that the band's original fans shouldn't be disappointed. One certainly doesn't expect Sixx to recreate what he's produced with Motley Crue over the years, but there aren't too many all-out hard rock songs on the new record. And again, we should judge an album by its title, but it would be a bit more satisfying to have at least a few more in-your-face, riff-driven tracks to truly make "This Is Gonna Hurt" complete.

BrineB
    I liked the first Sixx AM record and from what I've heard of this one....will probably like it too. But...Myles Kennedy is WORLDS above this cat. Just sayin'.....
    Loki_37
    One of those great examples of a really good band in a mostly-cliche scene. Would've been nice to see them branch out a bit more, but it's pretty good stuff. Reviewer's score was probably about right.
    TheChaz
    batman131 wrote: Well I disagree, I think its an awesome album! Not only for the songs you mention, what about Help is on the way? Skin? Theyre just great! I waited this album for like 1 year, and Im not disappointed at all, it is more than I expected, but hey, thats just my opinion, it deserves more points, I would give it a 9.5
    Help is on the Way is a Rise Against song... I don't think the reviewer proofread the review at all. Anyway, I've only heard "Lies of the Beautiful People." It's an alright song, but nothing that would make me want to listen to the rest of the album. The first one was good though.
    JTNorquay
    I think it's an alright album. Nothing really that shines through. I thought the heroin diaries soundtrack was an amazing album, with every song going along with themes from the book. You could really relate to the pain. But if you actually have the book "This is Gonna Hurt." you'll know that's a far cry from The emotions you'd get from The Heroin Diaries.
    lgd420
    What? An album that didn't get a 8 from UG? Never thought the day would come.
    lavisboy
    Whoever wrote this needs to learn to read. It's "Lies of the Beautiful People," not "Lines." And they left out the "My" in "Goodbye My Friends." But in my opinion, while it's obviously not as good as Heroin Diaries, but I still think it's pretty great. I love the soft songs most, like Skin and Are You With Me, but Live Forever and This Is Gonna Hurt are pretty good too. I think I'd have to give it an 8.5/10.
    SawGuru
    I like these albums equally. Heroin Diaries had more pain in its lyrics, and I love that. But I also love the shift from pain to beauty in the new album.
    boten89
    I like it but heroin diaries was definitely better. Kinda feel like they paint them self into a corner, when they set a theme to all lyrics. the theme being that beauty is on the inside. I give a 7, might become 7.5/8 after a some more listens. Heroin diaries definitely grew on me.
    WyldeMan666
    you know its almost a concept album in away to go with nikki sixxs photography project also titled this is gonna hurt I do belive...I like it its cool, I think they had a certain theme they were going for here and the songs fit into the theme much like the first album
    TomWhaley
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who heard the Muse influence in Goodbye My Friends haha I thought they did a great job with this album! Oh My God, Help is on the Way and Skin are my favorites
    Paroxysm
    I got the album and I think it suffered the same problem with the last one in that the first half of the disc is good, but then it started to become average to boring even. Still, I think it's a solid effort and I don't mind the ballads (Oh My God is a good song). And I'd pick J. Michael over most singers.
    Amuro Jay
    taylorhindman wrote: Thank you for putting the genre as Hard Rock instead of Metal. Gives us metalheads hope that not everyone that listens to this kind of music is an insolent douche.
    Like everyone that listens to metal, right? This album felt awkward to me. Their first one felt natural, this one sounds forced, like it may not have even been written by the same band. The title track was fantastic, but I couldn't get into the rest of it. I think I may need to give it a few more listens, but as of now, it's just average to me.
    taylorhindman
    BenjaminBonJovi
    Man I love this album ! Especially the song "Skin" totally kicks ass! that's what I call a great lyric, anyways great album ! 9/10 !
    sopranoman1771
    First... I really liked this album. The lyrics were a bit cheesy at times, but I liked how this album was more of a rock album with tons of great songs and not just a soundtrack with mostly dialogue. someone asked me what my favorite song was on the album, but i couldn't tell them because there were too many songs that i really loved. I would definitely suggest this album to anyone who loves catchy choruses, great guitar work and big powerful songs, along with soft emotional tunes that show you the softer side of the artist. Overall, great album!
    batman131
    Vauxite
    3 days grace14 wrote: Do not compare him to Myles!
    Why not? He's a ****ing awesome singer,
    PaisleyWilde
    thedarkblues06 wrote: thedarkblues06 wrote: PaisleyWilde wrote: Ive never really given them a shot, are they any good? They aren't bad. Aren't great...sounds like a lot of generic hard rock bands out there...but they are good at what they do, and every once in awhile I chill out and jam to Sixx A.M. Lies of the Beautiful People was a pretty run-of-the-mill hard rock song, nothing original...but it wasn't bad either. Go ahead and give them a listen, you won't be blown away...but you won't be disappointed either. Sorry about all the back-and-forth, just meaning to say that while they aren't omg-fantastic, they aren't anywhere close to bad either. This Is Gonna Hurt gets a 6.5/10 from me.
    Haha no worries man, It's always nice to get a straight answer. I'll check those songs out!
    mh1986
    thedarkblues06
    thedarkblues06
    PaisleyWilde wrote: Ive never really given them a shot, are they any good?
    mh1986
    mh1986 wrote: I was really looking forward to this album. The first one had a couple of very strong songs on it, but this album doesn't match up as well. It's got far too much of a pop influence going on. There are some good tracks but nothing as good as Life is Beautiful or Tomorrow on it. Goodbye My Friends is a good song, but kinda feels like they ripped off the melody from a muse song... The album isnt terrible but it's not great. I give it a 6, wish it rocked a bit harder.
    After listening to it a bit more in the car on the way to and from class its growing on me a little bit. I'd say its about a 7 - 7.5 now. Still a bit too pop sounding, but its alright.