Fantastic Spikes Through Baloon Review

7.1
 5.2
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Fantastic Spikes Through Baloon Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 16, 2010

Sound: This is a band that most aren't aware of, but Skeleton Key is a funky, trashy, and truly creative band that deserves a listen by anyone who enjoys creativity and vision. The band consists of a bass/vocalist, a guitar player, a drummer, and a percussionist that plays on any kind of junk you can find: trash cans, fire extinguishers, red wagons, and many other wonderful things that are not conventional in music. This albums sound is unlike anything else recorded to date with choppy, weird guitar work and funky basslines and of course the great percussion that makes a sucker for musical oddities like myself's mouth water. // 10

Lyrics: I'd say that lyrics aren't exactly the focus of this particular album or band for that matter. The music is the bread and butter, but the lyrics do have a great flow and rhythm to compliment the strange sounds you're hearing on the album. On the opening track, "Watch The Fat Man Swing", vocalist Erik Sanko's knack for rhythmic lyrics is apparent: "Invisible and stupid, his mistress finds a niche and tries in vain to ascertain the man behind the twitch." And while Sanko's voice isn't necessarily amazing, it fits the music perfectly. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, if you like experimental, funky music in the vein of bands like Mr. Bungle, this band is something you need to introduce yourself to. The percussion alone is truly spectacular and inventive. The songs that stand out the most to this humble listener are "Watch The Fat Man Swing", "The World's Most Famous Undertaker", and "Scratch". I've listened to this album so many times I could recite it in a drunken stupor or perhaps even while sleeping. It's truly a work of outstanding, outrageous art by a band with it's own sound. And to my knowledge this album is out of print, so if it were stolen I would bitch and moan and then probably buy it if possible from eBay or partake in piracy to get it back. The other full-length album by Skeleton Key is called "Obtanium" and is available on Ipecac Records. // 10

Comments