Beyond The Permafrost review by Skeletonwitch

• Released: Oct 2, 2007
Skeletonwitch: Beyond The Permafrost

Wow, this band is very tight. I will say straight up that this wasn't the Skeletonwitch album that impressed me a lot, but this album has its worthiness too. This band seems to balance perfectly, thrash metal, death metal, and black metal. Their guitar rhythm is sufficiently intricate but also retaining a classical thrash metal sound. It is very impressive how close the drums are with the guitars. This band has near perfect timing. You can tell that they are very well disciplined and rehearsed. Not every part of this album is as good as some others, the best parts seem to be in select songs. However, as far as new death metal goes, these guys are one of the tightest bands out there.

The lyrics seem to reference a black metal influence more so than the music does. Lead singer Chance Garnette seems to have several registers of singing voices. He can almost make it sound like there are several lead vocalists performing on the record. It brings an interesting level of depth to the listening experience. The lyrics seem to be in the style of darker folklore, sorcery, and the occult. Making it different from other types of Death Metal and having more of a Black Metal type influence. They work with the music pretty well, but they aren't as impressive as the instrumental performance.

Overall this is a very good record from a New Death Metal band. My band opened for these guys as well while they were touring for the record that followed this one. The live performance is just as tight as the record. Like I said before, not every part of this album is very memorable, but parts of it could become some of your favorite Death Metal. The best parts of the album are basically the first half of the songs. The first half seems to contain most of the better and more memorable songs. Parts of the second half are enjoyable as well. Not the best Skeletonwitch release there is, but certainly a worthy contribution to the world of metal.

krvolok
    Because it's Black/Thrash or even Blackened TM,the death influence is fairly limited.
    BrineB
    This one is better than average, IMO. These guys can play for sure. If you're in to thrash, you can't go wrong giving this one a spin.
    guitfiddleRR
    My band opened for these guys as well. I saw them firsthand. They are worth their own marbles for sure. This was kinda an average album tho. Their follow up to this tho (Breathing The Fire) is f**king awesome. Ill be reviewing it myself soon.
    Metal_NZ_FTW
    I agree with krvolok, the DM influence is pretty small in all aspects of The Witch's music. I would say Chance's vocals are more of a BM and Thrash fusion than DM.