Skid Row review by Skid Row

• Released: Jan 1, 1989
Skid Row: Skid Row

Thsi was Skid Row's debut album, people looked at it and porbably thought it too be typical hair metal (which they loved anyways). When they listened to it ther heard it was ore than hair metal, it was a mixture of high flying vocals not of a whiney hair metal vocalist but it even has a hard core sound to it. The guitars are really distorted nicley with a touch of artificial harmonics. Skid Row was based in New Jersey with influential bands such as Motley Crue, Bon Jovi (Dave The Snake Sabo formerly played for him), and Kiss. The fact that Skid Row wasn't just a chip off the old black hair metal band caused Skid Row to become popular with heavy and hair metal fans.

Skid Row's self-titled album isnt as well deveoped as Slave To The Grind but their are some songs that showed great potential for the up and coming metal band. The name Skid Row comes from the '30s implying to places near bars and brothels which was a place were vagrants, drunks, and addicts hung out. Skid Row's songs even comply to thier band name. 18 And Life, a ballad about a young boy in jail for killing his best friend in a drunken slump, shows a soft yeat hard and heavy side of bachs vocals and Dave and Rachel's guitars. Songs like Youth Gone Wild show a stick it to the man metal sound with high vocals and raunchy guitars ceating a defiant sound. Bach is just an amazing singer, one of the golden voices in rock and roll.

Skid Row is hard to compare with other bands but any other hair metal band doesnt stand much of a chance, Skid Row was one of the monsters of rock, unseated in thier popularity by Nirvana in the early '90s they fall down will the other hair metal bands, tragic. The most impresive songs on the album would be 18 And life, Youth Gone Wild, Midnight/Tornado, Piece Of Me, Big Guns, I Remember You, and Sweet Little Sister. I love the vocals and I love the guitars the only thing I hate is that thyer only made 2 albums with Bach, I hate Nirvana. Yea I got it stolen so I did buy it again, great CD.