Skid Row review by Skid Row

• Released: Jan 1, 1989
Skid Row: Skid Row

This album pretty much characterises the glam metal scene that was of peak popularity for a large amount of the '80s. Skid Row were more towards the heavier sides of this, as opposed to bands like Poison and Def Leppard who definitely had a stronger Pop sensibility. This album was released in 1989, which was in effect the last year this kind of music would have been so accepted on the airwaves. speaking typically, artists of the Glam Metal weren't too far removed from one another in terms of sound, as in it isn't too much of a big leap from, say Poison to Ratt, whereas for example Nirvana and Soundgarden (2 of the very biggest acts from the outbreak of Grunge) have a vastly different sound. You could say this is a kind of slicker Appetite For Destruction. It contains fairly standard Glam-metal fare, as in for the most part it's a hard rocker with lyrics about girls, sex, alcohol, violence, sex, girls, alcohol, and so forth. And like most of such albums, it contains a power ballad (in this case "I Remember You").

Sebastian Bach is in top form for this album. his voice is kind of a less harsh Axl Rose (sorry for the constant GN'R references, I just can't help it). His voice suits the music perfectly, ranging from tough boy, growling songs about rebellion ("Youth Gone Wild") to tender songs about the opposite sex and longing after of aforementioned gender ("I Remember You"). The latter song demonstrates a pretty remarkable range, hitting some fairly spandex-shrinking high notes. He uses his voice in a really engaging way. it's hard to imagine him in the studio recording these without him grasping the mic stand, eyes tight shut and clenching his fists. In other words, it sounds like he's really feeling the songs, which comes off rather well.

Like I mentioned earlier, this album is kind of like a slicker Appetite For Destruction. I won't compare them as in this one sucks and the other one rules or vice versa, they're both just brilliant in their own seperate ways. If you appreciate any 80s Glam/Hair Metal (is there any difference? ) you should really appreciate this. songs like "Youth Gone Wild", "Big Guns" and "I Remember You" should be the most well-remembered of such music. Personally, my favourite song is "18 and Life". It toes the line between moderate rocker and Power Ballad, probably avoiding the latter as it avoids corniness a fair bit (which I hate to say, "I Remember You" kind of fails to avoid). Unlike many other of such albums, after the first few (usually brilliant) songs, this one doesn't descend into mindless filler. Songs are tightly constructed, and although perhaps use the same formula a bit too much, it doesn't become stale. I would be more than happy performing any song from this at a Battle Of The Bands, or some such. I'm currently into my 3rd copy of this album. It may seem a bit stupid, but I love having a physical copy of the album, and mine tends to get scratched rather quickly. So, if you have any respect for such '80s rock/metal, give this record a listen. It's pretty engaging for the whole way through, which makes for an enjoyable listen.

Tubyboulin
    Man, i listned to all the hair metal and everyhintg just started sounding the same. then when first got this and i popped it into the machine, from the first words Bach sang i just though "Holy SHIT! who is this guy?" Blew me away
    the_hoodster
    David Sabo is amazing on lead guitar.
    dusnt scotti hill play lead more the dave? I thought Dave was rythm!?