Slave To The Grind Review

Skid Row: Slave To The Grind
Release Date: Jun 11, 1991
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Hair Metal
The furious noise kicked up behind Bach is usually more threatening than his overwrought vocal delivery, but Slave to the Grind is powerful enough that it doesn't really matter.
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.5
 9.7
 9.3
 1,252
Slave To The Grind Reviewed by: a real DEAD one, on january 05, 2006

Sound: Skid Row was one of the last '80s hair metal bands to hit the big time. Nirvana soon destroyed all hope for better music. Skid Row is a band full of high Flying Hair Metal vocals and alot of artificial harmonics. The band, I think, is a underrated because the focus is more on Sebastain Bach then Dave The Snake Sabo or Rachel Bolan. They are actully good guitarist and thier are some need riffs and solos in this and other Skid Row albums. Slave to the grind was one of the first metal albums to top number 1 on the billboard charts. I dont think thier was any new innovations made by skid row but they still kick ass. Its pretty much in your face metal. // 8

Lyrics: I don't know if its just Bachs voice that make the lyrics sound good or what, this guy is amazing. The lyics are really nice also, this distracts listeners form the other instruments playing though, thats the only problem haha. Wasted Time is a great song, Slave to the Grind, The Threat, psycho love, In A Darkend Room, their all awesome songs. // 10

Overall Impression: It's kinda hard to compare Skid Row to other artist but other hair metal artist Skid Row is one of the greatest, just amazing. If you like hair metal or even heavy metal you'll love skid row. Most of the good songs are form Slave to the Grind but their are some sick songs in theri self titled album too, like 18 and life, youth gone wild, or piece of me. This is funny becuase some one actually stole my fuckin cds. and when I find out who did their gunna die and then ill buy Slave To The Grind again. // 10

Slave To The Grind Reviewed by: DDOG1230, on september 28, 2007

Sound: One of the 1st albums, in my opinion, to set off the screaming era. With the metal masters on the guitars, Scotti Hill and Dave 'Snake' Sabo, and the lyrical genius of Sabastian Bach and Rachel Bolan, the music came together. With metal hits like, Slave to the Grind, Monkey Business, and The Threat, and the ballads: Quicksand Jesus, In a Darkened Room, and Wasted Time, this album is truly one of the greats in rock history. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome, that's all I know to say there. They mean something different to everybody. Like me, take Slave to the Grind for instance, don't get pushed around, left behind, or beat down, stand up and kick some ass. So when you listen to this album, think about what I said. Stand up for what you believe, cause that's all youve really got, you're hopes and dreams, and that's all you need. So live life to the fullest, and do what you love. // 10

Overall Impression: Nowadays, this album is hardly recognized by the metal scene, except to die hard '80s fans like myself, but people need to listen to it to grasp the full essence of metal cause Skid Row helped start it all. No one realizes that. I mean, come on I was raised on this. In my crib. And I'm only 17, so what's that say? Rock is far from dead, were bringin it back, and God knows, we need it right now. Cause, look at all this Rap and Pop crap around. That's my impression, bring it back. // 10

Slave To The Grind Reviewed by: evan-simpson22, on april 05, 2011

Sound: This album is absolute gold, personally, I think this is when Skid Row were at their peaks, they were all solid musicians, Sebastian Bach comes in with some soaring vocals that blow my mind, Rachel Bolan and Rob Affuso pound away on the bass/rhythm section, and Scotti Hill and Dave "Snake" Sabo (who, might I add is quite the underrated guitarist) wail the guitar parts, this album was not overproduced at all as the last album was, it has that raw energy that makes some glam metal albums seem not as wimpy (although I thoroughly enjoy the genre.) This album has some thrash elements VERY CLEAR in the title song Slave To The Grind, or The Threat. Even the song riot act reminds me of Circle Jerks meets Skid Row. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics usually go quite well with the music, most of this stuff is personal opinion though, so I'll go ahead and say this and the haters, oh the haters will hate. The song Quicksand Jesu is an unbelievable ballad, because it manages to get really heavy, the music is kickass, but the whole Jesus lyrics ruin that one, I can say that they should have chosen another topic but, who am I to judge that. Another song that Baz really impressed me on was Livin' on a Chain Gang, a less famous Skid Ro song, but its totally killer, and I'm gonna give my favorite song on the album star to that one, because it definitely wails. Get the F*** Out now there's a song that shows the real attitude of the band, and that's what I like to see, an extra bitchin' band that makes songs like that just to screw with people. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is sick, its so musically diverse, and it shows another side of Skid Row that we surely did not see on their previous release (don't get me wrong that was a good album) but it was too overproduced, like too perfect that it made me sick, same deal with Danger Dangers debut album, too polished. This was probably their transition album because Skid Row would prove to get even heavier on their following album Subhuman Race, but Slave to the Grind is hands down one of my favorite albums around, and as long as my hair is past my shoulders, my opinion will remain the same // 9

Slave To The Grind Reviewed by: AxlVanhalen, on february 02, 2012

Sound: Here is a song by song breakdown of the album. 01. "Monkey Business" - This song begins with clean blues licks and Sebastian singing about "Cartoon Killers and rag covered clones" and then the distortion hits you like a sledgehammer as Baz does his signature opening scream! I love the lyrics in this song because they can be interpretated so many different ways. This song is the perfect way to establish the mood of this album (which is pure kicka-s). 02. "Slave To The Grind" - This song begins with a huge drop d barrage of sludgy guitar riffs that sets up for Baz to do his ominous vocals over the main riff. The break in this song where Baz unleashes a huge scream on the lyric "Verbal Insecticide" is my favorite part in the song. This song really shows how much heavier Skid Row got after their debut album ("Skid Row"). 03. "The Threat" - This song contains my favorite opening riff on the entire album. I love the overall theme of rebellion and not taking any shit from society. This song is one of two songs that have that real huge mob vocal chorus (where the chorus sounds like its sung by multiple people, similar to "Beggars Day"). 04. "Quicksand Jesus" - My All Time Favorite Skid Row Ballad, it contains multiple religous references, which makes the song feel more important and meaningful than a storytelling song such as "18 & Life". The ending scream from Sebastian is what I look forward to when I hear this song, it just sums up the EPIC quality of this song. 05. "Psycho Love" - By far my favorite Skid Row Song, it contains raunchy lyrics about a prostitute that kills her customers (LOL) and it has some of my favorite guitar phrasing on the album. The bass in the beginning is awesome, I always love songs where the bass opens it up such as "Right Next Door To Hell" by Guns N' Roses. 06. "Beggars Day" - This song is another example of a song that has a huge mob vocal chorus. Skid Row seemed to paint alot of pictures of women being very devious ("Psycho Love", and "Beggars Day") in the lyrics of this album. "Suzi had an Uzi, what a beautiful bride" and "Broke out the 40 Caliber rain" are my favorite lines from this song. 07. "Livin' On A Chaingang" - During this song, I think Sebastian proves why he is one of the best singers of all time. I love the guitar riff in the verses, it somehow reminds me of Eddie Van Halen type riffing (Very up tempo and blues oriented reminiscent of "House Of Pain" by Van Halen). 08. "Creepshow" - This song has amazing guitar, I absolutely love around the:18 Second mark when the guitars work up to that one pinched harmonic each riff. The Lyrical Content of this song is killer! "She knicked my shin and then she kicked me in and then she buried me for fun" is my favorite lyric in this song. 09. "In A Darkened Room" - The guitar intro/outro on this song is very reminiscent of Slash's tone on songs such as "Estranged" and "November Rain". The Scream right before the outro solo, is one of my favorite vocal moments of all time because it allows you to hear Baz's vocals isolated from the band (The band stops playing). 10. "Riot Act" - This song is a cover song originally done by the Ramones. I think Skid Row retain that punk vibe but add their own metal edge to it. Its very up tempo and kick a-s! 11. "Mudkicker" - This song makes multiple references to Politicians and Government officials. I absolutely love this lyrical theme in a song because I despise our broken Government System. The Guitar on this song is extremely heavy, and the opening riff has alot of reverb on it which makes it very fun to listen to with headphones. 12. "Wasted Time" - This song is supposedly about Former Guns N' Roses drummer Steven Adler. It is also rumored that Rachel Bolan despised this song. But despite all of that, the song is the ultimate outro song for an album. The Chorus washed intro sets the mood for the song, and even when the distorted riffs come in, they still retain the overall emotion of the song. The last lyrical sequence by Sebastian is very heartfelt and haunting. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics on this album are alot more deep and meaningful than on their debut album ("Skid Row"). The best lyrical content on this album is contained in "Psycho Love", "Quicksand Jesus" and "Monkey Business". // 10

Overall Impression: You can tell that they were alot more willing to experiment on this album. They weren't afraid to let there metal sound surface. Baz's vocals are alot more raspy and intense than on the first album. Also the guitar level is alot higher (actually the mixing on this album is alot better than the first album). Everything is bigger, badder, and better on this album... In my opinion the best album in Skid Row's catalog. (Oh and Johnny Sollinger can suck it). // 10

Comments