Subhuman Race review by Skid Row

• Released: Mar 28, 1995
Skid Row: Subhuman Race

This underrated album by Skid Row is their best and most musically mature. Being told it was their weakest, it completely blew me away. Gone is the glam-like sound in their earlier albums and taking its place is nasty soundin' thrash. This album proves that Skid Row can use unusual time signatures and altered tunings just like the rest of 'em. The underrated guitarist pair of Snakie Sabo and Scotti hill once again clock out some killer riffs. Also deserving more attention is the very talented drummer Rob Affuso.

Lyrics are mostly written by Rachel Bolan, who strangely is their bassist. You don't see that happen often. Their songwriting has definietely become more complex, with lyrics about drugs, society, authority, etc. Sebastian Bach's vicious shriek just gets more and more vicious.

This is one of the most underrated albums of all time, probably because it was released in 1995, the time of grunge. This stuff is on par with Appetite of Destruction and Master of Puppets. The only think I didn't like about this album was that it was missing the haunting ballads like "Wasted Time" and "Quicksand Jesus" from Slave to the grind. Some great songs are My Enemy, Frozen, and Medicine Jar. The "I Remember You" crowd will like Breakin' Down and Into Another.

rictusgrin666
    "Lyrics are mostly written by Rachel Bolan, who strangely is their bassist. You don't see that happen often." Just off the top off my head: Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Rush, Destruction, Sodom, The Police, The Beatles... Sorry bro, but that album really is a stinker. Some bands can make "mature" albums and some bands should stick to what they do best; Skid Row were at their best with no frills, punky, metal-edged rock n roll, as on SttG. Though when you compare it to Appetite and MoP, I have a feeling you are being very tongue in cheek ;>
    -MetalUpYourAss
    i dunno how this got a ten to be honest i think 'skid row' and 'slave to the grind' is where skid row where at their best
    DegaMeth
    I totally agree with the reviewer. very underrated album. Very jam heavy guitar orientated, some very non hair metal complexity. Let down by some weak songs, lack of direction and total lack of melody and message in places but most people here would really like it. A lot of bands these days could learn a thing or 2 about records that sound real not protoolzd
    AxlVanhalen
    This albumi s underrated but isnt any where near the quality of Slave To The Grind! SttG was the heaviest album i have ever heard, lyrically, musically, and vocally