United World Rebellion: Chapter One review by Skid Row

• Released: Apr 16, 2013
Skid Row: United World Rebellion: Chapter One

Skid Row are an iconic hard rock band from the '80s, who alongside original lead vocalist Sebastian Bach forged a number of highly hailed rock classics, such as "Youth Gone Wild", "I Remember You", and "Monkey Business". After three continuously classic records, the band parted ways with Sebastian Bach due to creative differences, and just as Sebastian left, it was as though the band's sound went with him. Skid Row went on to create two more records with replacement Johnny Solinger, however they both lacked that powerful sound and vibe that was proudly showcased on the band's earlier record, and instead showed the band taking on a more significant punk metal musical style. Fans had already had major doubts about how well Skid Row would continue without their original vocalist, but combine a new singer who just doesn't have as broad a range and a new musical style, and most people boycotted the new lineup of the once highly hailed group.

For those fans who weren't close to pleased with Skid Row's latest efforts, prepare to crank it up, because their new release is just as good as their older material. It's a 6 song EP, titled "New World Rebellion: Chapter One", and it shows Skid Row masterfully returning to their classic style of sound. The album is kicked off with the instant classic "Kings Of Demolition", which is filled with crunching guitar licks and a standout passionate vocal performance. It's only up from there, with such additionally standout tracks as "This Is Killing Me", a dynamic acoustic ballad; and the riff rocker "Stitches". Overall, it's a killer return-to-form that shows Skid Row finally moving back in the right musical direction.

It seems that all those nights of performing the classic Bach-era material has strengthened lead vocalist Johnny Solinger's singing voice, as he is now easily able to maintain his upper register and help provide an unignorable classic Skid Row-vibe and style. This helps drive this new EP well above the band's previous two albums, and lead to a perfectionistic listening experience with very few weak points.

Overall, "New World Rebellion: Chapter One" is a powerful comeback for Skid Row, that shows them embracing their roots and creating six standout tracks that can easily sit amongst the band's classics. Any fan of their earlier works, as well as any hard rock or hair metal fan, should look into purchasing this album for themselves.

mayslash
    No bach, no ****s given.
    guitarist5477
    I kind of feel the same way, I listen to Skid Row for the music with Bachs voice, but there was one song I liked on Revolutions per Minute called "When God Can't Wait"
    hugocrinos
    good to see they're backing with hard rock. I liked Kings of demolition, gotta check the other songs
    Way Cool JR.
    I'm a big Skid Row fan, but I will pass on this album. I just can't get into anything they have made without Sebastian. Also this song sounds so stale and boring IMO.
    TheBigRobboUniq
    Simply not Skid Row without Bach, don't like Sollinger's voice at all. Subhuman Race was good though
    Charvel1030
    Subhuman Race is a great album. last one that Bach did with them and very very underrated
    TheBigRobboUniq
    Agreed. For a band who were often just called hair metal fluff, Subhuman had such an awesome AIC/Pantera influence running through it
    Scythe5
    Hate the lyrics. The singer, frankly, sucks. Music itself is ok, but....Bottom line, I'll pass.
    SHaun Steel
    None too shabby at all. It seemed to grow on me more and more as it went on. It's never gonna be the same without Seb Bach, In saying that when Seb played in Belfast last yr he was bloody awful and the only songs that were of note was the old Skid Row stuff. I hope the Skid Row lads do well off this EP.
    oOoYTSEJAMoOo
    I saw them a few years back, and they were great. Still miss Bach though. Still one of my top bands of all time. This song is great, and has Rachel written all over it. Hope they come to DC soon!
    Franko deguello
    This is Skid Row @ there best in years. Even though I do like their latest efforts in Thick Skin & Revolutions per minute because I understood that they wanted to move in a different direction @ the time. United World Rebellion: Chapter One has far exceeded those two albums & has shown the growth of lead singer Johnny Solinger. Skid Row seems to be running on all cylinders right now. Their live show's are top notch, Strongly suggest to go check them out if you can.
    CamelToeJoe
    My $0.02: Lyrics are corny, music is good, Sebastian Bach isn't singing.....don't like it. The band name is false advertising.
    DifferentWorld
    I like it. And to be honest, I'd rather have a Sollinger that isn't a giant douche than Sebastian Bach trying to act like he has the clout to be Axl Rose.
    kiba56
    I'd rather sabastian but this time he ain't bad at the singing.....
    Roxxie Roxx
    I went to see them last Thursday and they played Kings of Demolition and Lets Go and both were awesome. A great return to form.