Awake review by Skillet

• Released: Aug 25, 2009
Skillet: Awake

Skillet has always had classic rock riffs, swirling drums, monstrous hooks, undeniably catchy choruses, and a few fast solos. And this CD is no different. The sound on this CD is very great! You can hear everything amazingly clear, you can listen to each individual instrument or listen to how amazing they all fit together. This CD seems to have more string instruments in the songs. Which I think is very good, it really adds to the mood of the songs. The music is very very good and almost anyone can sit down and enjoy this music.

The lyrics on this CD are very deep. They seem to be a lot more faith based than their previous CD "Comatose". The lyrics are classic Skillet lyrics, the choruses are super catchy. The lyrics go very very well with the music. John Cooper as usual has a strange but great voice. You never would expect someone with his voice to be great at singing but he does it, and it goes great with the music!

Overall I believe everyone should buy this CD. If you compared it to all of their other CD's it would be close. Song v. Song it may be one of the best CD's they have produced. If not first second to "Comatose". The most impressive thing about this CD is how much more the non-electric guitar instrument (violin, cello, piano, acoustic guitar) have been implemented into the songs, it adds so much more depth and emotion to the lyrics. If there is one thing I would have to say about this CD that is a little disappointing might be that overall the songs are a little less hard than their previous CD. But regardless this is a great CD for Skillet fans from the beginning to people who have never heard of them. The top songs in my opinion are "Awake and Alive", "Hero", and "Forgiven". If this CD were lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again.

Gerard Way Jr
    xcrunner1 wrote: Gerard Way Jr wrote: Vauxite wrote: Gerard Way Jr wrote: "I am just a man, I'm not superhero man." ...what the hell is that? This record's lyrics are awful. *I am just a man Not superhuman Lrn2listen. Yeah, because one word makes such a difference, and the second time the phrase is used, it's as I quoted it. Lrn2stopbeingaperfectionist. stfu Gerard! Comatose wasn't as good as Collide, and I'm glad Awake doesn't sing about loneliness every two seconds.
    Yeah, so, just because your opinion is out there means it's the one everyone has to adapt to? I don't think so.
    iljh
    I love Awake, I love Comatose, and Collide was their best. If you think about it, Awake is the natural step after Comatose. I enjoy the songs very much.
    papersun87
    rockguitarist92
    I love the Awake album. Thats that. Thy are a good all around band, Live and in the studio. I just think some people dont like the softer songs. Comatose was a harder album compared to this one. But this has its own place.
    Gerard Way Jr
    hiddenwuss wrote: Sooo...maybe it was just me, or did anyone else feel like "Monster" sounds way too much (TOO SIMILAR) to "Animal I Have Become" by Three Days Grace...just saying...
    I agree.
    SGofawesome
    ratracekid111 wrote: xcrunner1 wrote: Comatose was disapointing, but Awake is great!! boo. awake is way to mainstream
    I am failing to see how Comatose is "disappointing". It had everythig a real good album needs, even the fact that the order of the songs was perfectly placed. I don't know if it's only me but starting out with the best hits on an album doesn't do it for me. I like to lead up to the song, get me in a rockin' mood. Now I haven't heard Awake yet, only Monster and Hero, so i really can't have a full opinion on the album as a whole, but those two songs in my opinion match is something Skillet would totally write.
    SGofawesome
    Jon777 wrote: Awake... sucked -_- It had a few good songs, but compared to Comatose...
    once again, why compare? if you compared every album to Back In Black, the 2nd biggest seller, that's all we would listen to!
    idle_tooth
    SGofawesome wrote: papersun87 wrote: I'm a big Skillet fan . . . but I thought this album was a BIG letdown. They aren't even trying to do anything new or adventurous. I mean if you like new and adventurous it's not my place to tell you off, but if you look at bands like AC/DC or Van Halen, they were all about the same material. Everyone says AC/DC made the same album like 18 times. But they were still good, that's all there was to it. Just something to think about.
    they were good for a month or two, then you go out and buy another album that is exactly the same as the last one, it is boring. there is not a bit of artistic evolution between either of those bands. that is the problem with them. and no, if you compared every album to back in black, that is not all we would listen to. that is what all of our dad, grandpas, and cousins in the 7th grade would listen to, because thats all they listen to now anyway. AC/DC fell from their prime 20 years ago and no effort to relive that level of success has or ever will work in their favor. it's sad to see how old and worn out they have gotten and that they can't just let go of those memories and retire.
    realdeal321
    awake had some goood songs. i think skilet should go a bit harder, but th ast just me.
    winged_ninja712
    I see that some of you were disappointed with Awake. Comatose was such a big hit, and I think some were looking for a repeat of that. Rebirthing, The Last Night, Those Nights, Whispers in the Dark, Comatose... all great songs, and big hits. But Awake went in a different direction, exactly as Skillet wanted it to. There were several more acoustic songs, with electric choruses, and the style of the harder rock changed dramatically. But Monster, Hero, Awake and Alive, Forgiven, Dead Inside, and Never Surrender were phenomenal. I give this album a five star rating (out of five stars). For those of you who are equally impressed and want to learn the songs, come check out my profile, as I am constantly adding new Skillet tabs. ~Winged_ninja712
    Vauxite
    *I am just a man Not superhuman Lrn2listen.
    jaylastarlight
    I love this album. =) And I continue to love it more and more every time I listen to it. Skillet never ceases to amaze me. So what if it's not as loud as 'Comatose'? There are still so many wonderful songs on 'Awake' if you give them a few good listens. Skillet can make anything sound good. I'd love them even if the did their own version of the 'Old MacDonald' song. I've waited three years for this album, and I haven't been disappointed. Keep doing what you do, Skillet!! I can't get enough of you guys!! XD
    nickchuck17
    Gerard Way Jr
    nickchuck17 wrote: So Comotose was an amazing album, and I fooled myself into thinking they could do it again. Not that it's bad, it just went from amazing to pretty good. These guys put on one of the most amazing live shows I have ever seen (and I've seen them 4 times) but this album just doesn't have much awesome stuff on it that the crowd can rock out to. And also, Ben (lead guitar) disappointed me. This man has some sick guitar skills and did not show off on this record.
    the83strat
    ive got to say that this album is SSSOOOO much better than comatose or collide. the riffs are amazing and the vocals/lyrics are sweet.
    joeycoons
    I think whoever wrote the second review has no taste in music at all. This album is by far their best album. The songs are deeper, none of them sound bad, the guitar has amped up not down, there are less solos, but much better guitar playing, vocally it is very good, and more of the strings, keyboard, and other instruments. This song tops all their others for sure. And the comment about 'Oh here is another Christian punk band' well that can be said about any other genre of music. Just because its Christian music doesn't make it any less than any other music. And they add stuff in live that they don't put in the cd, I noticed that right off the bet at the Awake and Alive tour. This album is amazing and anyone who thinks that it is bad or disappointing is really uneducated about the elements of making and writing. Try being in a band and putting 10+ songs together that are great then try and do it again year after year. Let me tell you its not easy and my band has only been together for a year.
    King afed
    Cionnaith MacRi wrote: idle_tooth wrote: these guys played at my high school last year. they were a joke. i'm glad i didn't pay to get in. so what? you go to school in beverly hills or something? Skillet for a high School dance? LOL no i went to merkel high school. merkel is a really crappy town in the middle of texas. there were 70 people in my graduating class. it was a horrible venue and a horrible performance. i'm just trying to say that they suck. i should have just come out and said it. they suck.
    I heard them live and they were pretty good. Although Awake is a mainstream sellout album, skillet is still a good live band.
    feanarosurion
    Comatose was really good, and the only album I really enjoyed. This album seems to have moved away from that, and the blatant fanboy review doesn't help.
    Pr0teZT
    Comatose was SO much better, Awake has about 2 good songs, the others are mainstream crap.
    sumrandomhobo
    Compared to comatose and collide it's not that great I reckon, but on its own its pretty good.
    D.I.R.T.
    This album makes better singles than a whole album... as a whole i'd probly give it 6/10... the bigist disapointment was in John's choice of lyrics, several times one bad line will ruin a song and some are jsut plain out immature... this coming from the guy whose going to see them for the 3rd time this year.
    ratracekid111
    xcrunner1 wrote: Comatose was disapointing, but Awake is great!!
    boo. awake is way to mainstream
    Jon777
    Awake... sucked -_- It had a few good songs, but compared to Comatose...
    ArmedOmalley
    This album has plenty of catchy songs, it doesnt really compare to comatose tho, even collide had good songs, i expected this album to be like Live free or let me die, that they made and re-released on Comatose
    ITR Matix
    Yeah I agree, I feel dissapointed, but I expected that, 'cause Comatose was Amazing. But if you try to listen to it forgeting Comatose, It doesn't feel too bad. After hearing it a few times, I started to enjoy it
    Gerard Way Jr
    I hated this record--just wrote a review. The melodies and choruses were catchy-sounding, but one of my biggest problems was the lyrical content. And what's with the title track sounding EXACTLY like the title tracks for the last two? And the TINY bit of techno that was then lost for the rest of the record? Geez.
    rocker222
    you all are wrong collide was the best album they have ever made. end of story
    Cionnaith MacRi
    xcrunner1
    unlike Comatose, which did NOT play on the same level as Awake. On Comatose I was getting of EVERY song being about loneliness, but on Awake the topics are varied. So are the music styles used, rather than *insert-symphonic-element* and call it a song. When has Skillet ever been capable of a song like Believe, or Lucy?
    satch_magic
    I think this is a solid cd but not the best. It just didn't have the thing that takes it from solid to outstanding like Comatose did. I don't think this is a bad cd at all and I did think it was cool that they showed a little more acoustic stuff on this record. I love music that's anywhere from loud, in your face and heavy but I like softness and diversity too. But that's just me
    Lemurs4mangos
    I loved Comatose, and Awake is amazing too, I would have liked more heavy stuff, but hey, I love the songs anyways. and...
    wtf...?
    hiddenwuss
    salamandemr
    If you go at this album expecting it to be heavier than Comatose, you'll be disappointed. There are some great heavy songs, but the real sound is in their more thematic songs such as One Day Too Late and Never Surrender. Personally, I think it's awesome even though it's more mainstream, but I guess you're allowed to hate them if you want...
    n8blake
    rocker222 wrote: you all are wrong collide was the best album they have ever made. end of story
    AMEN TO THAT!!!
    Xtramus
    Pretty poor record, I expected a lot more from them after Collide and Comatose. And Monster definitely sounds like Animal I Have Become
    xcrunner1