Comatose review by Skillet

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
Skillet: Comatose

Skillet has been a huge name in Christian rock for several years. After three long years, they've finally released their seventh album, Comatose. It's also their most diverse, experimental, and just plain rockin' album yet, adding a lot of strings, Korey's female vocals, and some music that you wouldn't think Skillet would play. Skillet tries a lot of new things in Comatose. Korey Cooper is added as a second vocalist for the band, and she adds a lot of diversity to it. It kind of mixes things up and changes a lot from Collide. They still rock out like crazy, and Korey isn't singing the whole CD long, just enough to keep it from being boring. In "Those Nights", they kind of play the song in a punk style. It's kind of weird hearing these hard panheads we know and love to stray this far out their boundaries, but it does actually work really well. The song, like most all of the songs, appeals to you.

They've grown real mature since their last couple of CD's. "Rebirthing" is all about having a new life in Christ. "Better Than Drugs" talks about how God can be more satisfying than drugs. "The Last Night" is an interesting song where John and Korey are singing back to each other like a conversation. It's all about how you don't have to feel lonely in this world. After Skillet joined a major label, a lot of people thought they would water down their message quite a bit. Not so. Not so at all.

So what am I trying to say? Get this CD. It's a terrific CD. It's not too hard to scare away some of the people who like their music on the softer side, and is just filled with great music. It may take a few listens for it to sink in, but after that, this will be a CD that you won't want to stop listening to for a long time.

TFK_62
    My friend talks about Whispers In the Dark a lot. I'm not sure which one I heard on the radio, but it was good. But I can't find it, or Collide, for that matter, anywhere.
    papersun87
    Logan_B wrote: except that Kasica sucks compared to todays heroes like Syn from A7X
    You're an idiot. Kasica is an amazing guitar player, especially for his age. In a few years he'll be one of the best alive.
    Covin
    I think it's a pretty good CD. about 60/40 good/bad. I mean, the songs that are good ARE REALLY, REALLY GOOD, but the ones that aren't feel like filler. Still, the songs that are good definitely make it worth buying. Powerful music.
    PVmelonhead91
    all i gotta say is if you dont like this album because of the slower songs our not a skillet fan.
    AndyVanHalen
    It could easily be a Bon Jovi song.
    Hahahahaha that is exactly what I said!!! I happen to love that song though, gotta love the power ballads haha.
    prunejuiceman74
    Suprisingly enough, I became hooked to Skillet after listening to the Rock TV station and looking for anything that interests me, heard Whispers in the dark and bought the album right away... Cac't wait for what they pull out next.