Nightlife review by Skip The Foreplay

• Released: May 1, 2012
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Skip The Foreplay: Nightlife

If Cannibal Corpse and LMFAO went to a party together, got really drunk and went into the studio, the resulting sound would be Skip The Foreplay. This sound is something very unique, very twisted, and oddly enough pretty dang brutal. The Electronics tend to take much more of a back seat on this record but are still very noticeable. The guitar work was also surprisingly amazing, while most bands like this tend to only play loud repetitive chords the guitarists in this band really shred it up. Despite some innovation on their part, skip the foreplay is clearly wanting to go the same path as bands like abandon all ships and attack attack. But thanks to their guitar work and electronics that aren't over the top, they have managed to also have a sound that is undeniably theirs.

The lyrics are certainly not this bands strong point. While the sound is undeniably great if you like meaningful lyrics then you won't like this band too much. If one were to read the lyrics to a skip the foreplay song before listening to the band; the potential listener would just dismiss them as some pop band. The Singer's vocal delivery is pretty good though, and the only reason I didn't rate the lyrics lower is because of his ability to scream those bad lyrics for all they are worth.

Despite the sub-par lyrics; skip the foreplay is definatly a force to be reckoned with. They also manage to put on an excellent live show (anyone who saw them during the Warped Tour will probably tell you this as well). But without better lyrics this band may not go too far. I would buy this album again if need be and I do intend to at least listen to any new material they come up with in the future.

iommi600
    If Cannibal Corpse and LMFAO went to a party together, got really drunk and went into the studio, the resulting sound would be skip the foreplay.
    Oh man, I lol'd. But yeah, listened to this on youtube. I think my ears are bleeding...
    jBracken_2010
    They're okay as a band to listen to if you've exhausted most other options in their genre. Not terrible, not great. They won't go far unless they make changes in lyricism and musicianship, because both are mediocre. Not to say it isn't a valiant effort, but it just falls kind of flat. 5.5*