Skold Vs. KMFDM review by Skold Vs Kmfdm

• Released: Feb 24, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Skold Vs Kmfdm: Skold Vs. KMFDM

It has been seven long years since Tim Skold and Sascha Konietzko last worked together. The reason for this mainly being the distance between them. Undeniably, living on different continents does not help anything in the way of collaborations. However, with the modern wonders of technology, anything is possible. In fact the two artists completed this somewhat self titled album without ever stepping foot in the same room together! With ideas for the collaboration being sent to each other through the internet by means of the magical click of a computer button, the whole album was completely finalised in a mere four months, and thus released in another four months. The album is a fusion of slugging techno rock with a heavy lean on the industrial side. However, strangely enough the album was done strictly without any guitars, and real drums. With quite an experimental approach taken to creating the album, the result comes off as dirty and angry: the bastard child of Nine Inch Nails and The Terminator.

Lyrically, the words are simple. Most of the lyrics are repetitions of the track's title. Sometimes whispered, sometimes growled, the singing in the album all add to the sinister ambiance of the record. However, as the album is more industrial techno fusion, the singing and lyrics are sort of put on the back burner here. This is to say that, in contrast to most albums. The singing becomes more of a background instrument in Skold vs KMFDM. With most of the singing being distorted to give off a metallic, barren sound, the vocals sound more complementary than anything. That is not to say that they are redundant as, without the vocals, the tracks would not have the same evil tones and sinister ambiance that the record gives off so well.

I must admit that first impressions are not that good. It takes a while to get into the sinister techno rock that is Skold vs KMFDM. However, once you are in the right frame of mind the album is surprisingly good. Almost, dare I say it, catchy! The main stand out track is Bloodsport, with its heavy chugging techno beat that penetrates deep down into the brain infecting your inner sound system. However, the one qualm I personally have with the album is the overflow of interludes. I understand that the interlude tracks are there to create a flowing sense of 'chi' through the album, but sometimes they get a little tedious. It almost seems as if they are filler tracks forcefully shoved into the album to keep up routine. Apart from that, a solid industrial techno rock fusion album.

MaGgOt_13
    Kastm wrote: music without instruments..... sounds amazing. (sarcasm)
    music without instruments...sounds like silence. Synth is an instrument. The voice can be counted as an instrument. Other sub-genres of Industrial (aggrotech or EBM for example) usually have very fast and technical synth parts and complicated drum beats. The music takes skill to write, it is not any less valid than rock, metal, etc. This sounds interesting, I am a fan of both KMFDM and the electro-industrial genre so I will check this out.
    marcus00
    ozzynator
    Kastm wrote: music without instruments..... sounds amazing. (sarcasm)
    true, makes you wonder a bit about the futur of music :/
    STABxYOU
    Kastm wrote: music without instruments..... sounds amazing. (sarcasm)
    Except synths, samplers, drum machines, manipulated tape, ect all are instruments. Anyways, Tim Skold can play guitar as well, and has in many other musical projects.
    mastershake575
    I Love KMFDM but i miss the old days when they would still have the samplers and synths along with guitars and drums. But hell, KMFDM is just one big experiment so i can't complain a whole lot
    1970SGFU
    whatever anyone says nothing beats good old analog, now that takes serious talent to get right. this digital stuff just doesnt get that sense of the music being live, which is really how music is meant to be heard.
    DarthKarth
    i'm not gonna lie; this sounds like a bunch of crap. whatever happened to playing real music? why must people listen to computer generated nonsense with no lyrical content except for dumb catchphrases spoken over and over again? but i'm sure it'll be GROUNDBREAKING!!! [caustic remark]
    swave75
    marcus00 wrote: I was a huge fan of older KMFDM. I haven't been able to get behind anything Sascha's done since En Esch left until now. I guess it's a mistake to bring this album to a guitar site because of the nature of most recent industrial music but I thought this album was pretty awesome. And to those knocking computer generated music, allow me to quote KMFDM themselves... Our music is sampled, totally fake It's done by machines 'cause they don't make mistakes KMFDM - Sucks
    Agreed 100%.