Apocalyptic Love review by Slash

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: May 22, 2012
  • Sound: 7
  • Lyrics: 4
  • Overall Impression: 5
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
  • Users' score: 8.7 (315 votes)
Slash: Apocalyptic Love
0

Sound — 7
By now, we know what to expect from the Cat in the Hat. Slash's new album is bluesy, punky, rock, metal. And even grunge. The band sound generally tight, if a little unsure of each other. Whilst there is a definite improvement over the previous album in having a single singer, it is evident this is very much a Slash fronted band. He may not sing, but it's certainly all his call. There are some shining moments. The song's "Anastasia" (beginning with a lovely flamenco acoustic riff and slamming into one of the hottest songs on the record), "Bad Rain" (funky, grungey riffs throughout, that command headbanging) and "Far And Away" (the stand out ballad on the album, slow, with reserved vocal delivery and singing solos) are the stand out best songs on the entire record. Unfortunately, the majority of the others are generic ones, that could easily slot into any of Slash's former projects.

Lyrics — 4
The majority of the lyrics seem rather... clich. As you listen to them, it's rather difficult to discern what Mr Kennedy is singing, and the majority of the choruses on the album leave you feeling disappointed, rather than wanting to pump your fist and belt along with it. There are even times on the album (e.g. in the song "One Last Thrill") where Kennedy seems to struggle to fit the lyrics into the fast paced nature of the verses, as if there are too many words in too short a space. Skill wise, Kennedy is good. Damn good, at times. When he sings on the ballads, he gives a raw, emotional window to his soul that just compliments the nature of the songs so perfectly. When he sings on the faster songs, he blisters. If he's singing as himself. Unfortunately, there are a number of times wherein he sounds like he is attempting to channel a certain Bill Bailey. It's as if he was desperate to please his boss, by being the one thing his boss is sick of.

Overall Impression — 5
There is no way, when reviewing an album by our favourite export from Stoke On Trent, that we can escape his former bands. His style is so integral in those previous records, its obviously going to be evident on any album he puts out. This, however, is disappointing. One would hope, with a new band behind him, and a new singer, that he may have progressed and expanded on to newer pastures. There are great moments on this record. But there a lot more bad moments too. Which is unfortunate. I am a life-long fan of Guns N' Roses and Slash too. I am, however, disappointed by this offering by the venerable Mr. Hudson. With all the hype, I was expecting a great, varied, evolutionary album. What I heard, though, was GN'R Lite.

53 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Voodoochile711
    Slash is a great musician. He may not be the most technically skilled guitar player, but he puts his heart into every song man. A Slash solo makes you FEEL; very few guitar players nowadays can do that. I love all the technical metal guys and stuff, but Slash is really keeping that old rock 'n' roll spirit alive.
    the_modfather
    Dave Frenzy wrote: TremontiAddict wrote: This is Slash's second solo record, and this time Myles Kennedy is handling 100% of the vocals. As a matter of a fact, Slash has said that this album is more of a collaborative effort with MILES Kennedy than a solo album. Are you serious? I've seen his name messed up too many times to count on this site. Can't take 3 seconds to check? They even spelled it right the first time! its not even his Second solo record... its his 4th lol doesnt anybody else remember "Aint Life Grand" and "Its 5 o'clock Somewhere" ???
    Slash's snakepit wasn't technically a solo band
    ne14t
    Ignore the feature review from UG I mean we all know they wanna have buttsecks with Slash. I have had this album for a week now, got it early and I listened the shit out of it, and this is what I have to say. Hands down some of the best guitar work I have heard Slash do. I was actually really blown away by it; however I honestly have to say I was not a fan Myles doing the vocals on the entire album. I really enjoyed Back From Cali a lot, but something about this album just made the lyrics feel like someone was hammering a nail into my head, was kind of depressing. I could have be subconciously expecting a diverse vocal range like the previous album which is something Myles doesn't really have. I know people are going to flame me for this comment but its just truely how I felt. I am working on a way to turn it into a instrumental album so I can still enjoy it!
    sn00ze
    reyreymoo wrote: I have to say it. I really love Slash and his work. But this albums is just lame not even close to his first solo album. From the first to the last I just wanted this waste of the to end. I'm really sorry for what this album is. It is just aint good enough. Again I really slash and his work. His first solo album kicked ass... :\
    Never understood why people down-rate opinions different to theirs.
    manicmuso
    I agree with Darthbuttchin's review here. I found this album to be very predicable and "safe". Slash is praised as the greatest guitarist around but the music he makes doesn't deviate too far from his comfort zone and I think it would be good to see him push his own boundaries a bit more. To me his playing is starting to get too repetitive and almost empty. I much prefered the new Cult album that was released at the same time cos it's a bit more exciting.
    Cannibal Koala
    reyreymoo wrote: I have to say it. I really love Slash and his work. But this albums is just lame not even close to his first solo album. From the first to the last I just wanted this waste of the to end. I'm really sorry for what this album is. It is just aint good enough. Again I really slash and his work. His first solo album kicked ass... :\
    I really Slash too.
    HarvesterofPain
    I think it's pretty damn good, but I've got a feeling this album is REALLY gonna polarize people.
    iommi600
    bandnamehere wrote: he needs to stop being an ego maniac and get axl back its what axl wants, just dont get duff back, we all know how that went...
    Are you high? GN'R isn't back together today because Axl is a prick. Anyway, that's not the subject here. 15 years have passed since Slash and Axl parted ways and Slash is still making new, fresh music (Velvet Revolver, Slash's Snakepit and now his solo career) while Axl locked himself in the studio for 15 years to release a half-assed album played by a half-assed version of GN'R. Btw, this album doesn't even have anything to do with reuniting GN'R, so it's pointless to bring this up here. And if they do not reunite, ever, I'm perfectly fine with it, as long as great albums like this keep coming out.
    manicmuso
    4/9 people found my review helpful. Making it a 2 star review. Evidently, these people who down rated it can't accept that the man has not released anything ground breaking since 1991. Everything post-GnR has been derivative. In fact, 1987 was probably the last time he was 'fresh' and original. The man has a 27 year comfort zone. I'm sorry to those people (probably teenagers) who are so far rammed up his arse that they can't see the truth. If you had been teenagers 6 years ago, you would have been emo's and scene kids, i'd wager. If you cant handle the truth, thats fine by me. Live in your fantasy world. I bet if he released an album which was just the noise of him taking a shit, you'd rate it as a 10 and go on about how amazing it was. Well, at least it would be something different to the drivel he's subjected upon us this year. db
    I think you have it spot on to be honest, and it was a fair review. You called it out for what it was: mediocre. Not bad but not great either. Trouble is, Slash is a rock icon and will forever be praised for his past glories even though what he does today might not live up to his "legacy".
    iTim
    I've listen through this album 10+ times now and the songs continued to grow on me. Those who say Myles is a weak link clearly don't have the ability to recognize good lyrical composition or delivery. Some of Slash's riffs on the album are up there with his best and the guitar solo's are killer. As a full album it has a just big enough range to take the listener on a ride and yet it all seems to fit together perfectly. Best album of the year.
    Miyagi84
    darthbuttchin wrote: 4/9 people found my review helpful. Making it a 2 star review. Evidently, these people who down rated it can't accept that the man has not released anything ground breaking since 1991. Everything post-GnR has been derivative. In fact, 1987 was probably the last time he was 'fresh' and original. The man has a 27 year comfort zone. I'm sorry to those people (probably teenagers) who are so far rammed up his arse that they can't see the truth. If you had been teenagers 6 years ago, you would have been emo's and scene kids, i'd wager. If you cant handle the truth, thats fine by me. Live in your fantasy world. I bet if he released an album which was just the noise of him taking a shit, you'd rate it as a 10 and go on about how amazing it was. Well, at least it would be something different to the drivel he's subjected upon us this year. db
    Wait... Reviews are just opinions like everything else, and they are subjective at that. People are entitled to their own opinions, so people are wrong just because they don't agree with your approximation and view on things? That's a pretty myopic viewpoint to take and it makes you look foolish. The great thing about media and art is the fact that everybody can can get something from it on their own, be it good or bad... but at least each person can form an idea something.
    Engel22
    It's a sweet album, but there's a difference between the first one and this that some people forget. This album is one band, one singer all the way through, where as 'Slash' was various artists on various songs that Slash said he'd written with those people in mind. Both are great albums, but they're also seperate entities that shouldn't be compared.
    SlashWannabe1
    Dave Frenzy wrote: its not even his Second solo record... its his 4th lol doesnt anybody else remember "Aint Life Grand" and "Its 5 o'clock Somewhere" ???
    The Snakepit Records didn't count as solo albums, because it was basically a band that Slash jammed with and the record company figured it'd sell more with Slash's name as the band name.
    wildinferno2010
    sn00ze wrote: reyreymoo wrote: I have to say it. I really love Slash and his work. But this albums is just lame not even close to his first solo album. From the first to the last I just wanted this waste of the to end. I'm really sorry for what this album is. It is just aint good enough. Again I really slash and his work. His first solo album kicked ass... :\ Never understood why people down-rate opinions different to theirs.
    not that i disagree, but if this comment had been severely disliked it would been excellent
    Shiookami
    Okay, i listened to this album. it was alright, but more as in an "Album i'll keep for novelty, maybe play it once in a while" but never something i could really enjoy as a whole, maybe 4 tracks on there are amazing. but most of them are the same as every other track. his last solo release i fell in love with for the range. Thank you slash for the album, but i must say i'm mostly buying it to help revenue Rock and Roll sales. and because i LOVE Slash as a guitarist, but i miss Velvet Revolver and the original Slash.
    the_modfather
    Myles better than his first solo effort (see what I did there) Still liked his first one. But I think this is a lot better
    sethkins
    Guys, you either love Myles or you hate him. If you hate him, don't offend me or the rest of the people that love him by posting nasty things about his voice.
    Nibbz
    Fucking flawless. Perfect album, deserves Best Rock Album. One of the best albums I've heard in recent years. For me, it is without a doubt my favorite Slash album when compared with GnR, VR, and his previous solo album. I enjoy Myles' vocals immensely and consider him to be the best frontman currently out there. He's got the voice that is perfect for Slash's music. Going into this I was thinking how the two could make a full album together without sounding like their previous projects. Elements of their respective styles and bands exist but they congeal so perfectly into a sound that is 2012 yet so late 1980s at the same time. There are even elements of Chuck Berry and other legendary rock n rollers in there. This is the album that perfectly encompasses the history of Rock n' Roll and should be considered essential listening for rock music here in 2012.
    dewitt
    I think this is easily the worst album that Slash has ever been a part of, not counting guest appearances. It's not the worst thing I've ever heard, and I'd rather hear it than a lot of stuff that comes out these days, but it's not really good, by any means. The whole album is pretty generic. There are times that it sounds like they're getting something good going, and then Myles Kennedy starts singing and ruins it sonically, also bringing it back to a very generic sound. I think that's the weakest part of the album -- the vocals. Although I'm not a fan of any of his other work, I had a bit of hope for this album, since Myles Kennedy provided vocals for two of the few good songs from the first Slash album. But his lyrics and songwriting just don't sound good and it's all very generic and a little pretentious. They also stick to very typical, predictable song structures -- intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, chorus, etc -- which adds to its overall generic sound. I also agree with the 2nd review that says its hard to understand what he says; that doesn't really matter, though, because it doesn't matter what's being said if it sounds bad. The first review says that the Snakepit albums were panned by fans and critics alike. I thought that people liked the first one -- there are some decent songs and pieces on that album -- and the second one had some things about it worth remembering. This album, however, has no redeeming qualities. The only part I would listen to again is the solo and the closing parts on Far and Away. Also, the Snakepit albums weren't solo albums. They were pretty much 3 different bands. The first one was with Gilby Clarke, Matt Sorum, Eric Dover, and Mike Inez from Ozzy and Alice and Chains. They recorded the first album, which consisted of songs written for GnR and rejected by Axl Rose, and Slash put another band together to tour for it. Then I believe it was a completely different third band who made and toured for the second album. I don't agree with either one of these reviews, but I'm more likely to agree with the second, for sure, although I don't think any of these songs would fit with any of Slash's other bands except maybe Snakepit. And I don't think I agree with the first review in any way. Slash has almost become a parody of himself, and it sounds like he really played it safe on this album, seemingly aiming only to sell and not to produce quality material.
    darthbuttchin
    4/9 people found my review helpful. Making it a 2 star review. Evidently, these people who down rated it can't accept that the man has not released anything ground breaking since 1991. Everything post-GnR has been derivative. In fact, 1987 was probably the last time he was 'fresh' and original. The man has a 27 year comfort zone. I'm sorry to those people (probably teenagers) who are so far rammed up his arse that they can't see the truth. If you had been teenagers 6 years ago, you would have been emo's and scene kids, i'd wager. If you cant handle the truth, thats fine by me. Live in your fantasy world. I bet if he released an album which was just the noise of him taking a shit, you'd rate it as a 10 and go on about how amazing it was. Well, at least it would be something different to the drivel he's subjected upon us this year. db
    FaceTomorrow
    Best thing Slash has done in 20 years. Myles lyrics have their moments, but hes still not very good at them. Shame. But this is a very solid album. Nothing surprising; but who needs that from Slash. I like it
    mauriciognr
    I think the album is good. Have some cool riffs and some greats solos. My favorite track is Anastasia. I give 7/10
    jimbojones5678
    I was lucky enough to score the record a week ago, and after at 50 listens I'm still not sick of it. I was a teenager when GnRs were the big ticket, and they shaped my musical tastes immensely, so it's no huge surprise that I enjoy Slashs work still. I think that the people saying that it is a safe record, and that they wanted something 'out of the box' from Slash & Co don't get what the man is about. He's a blues rock guitarist. And that's about it. You wouldn't be waiting for a death metal album from BB King would you? so why are all these peeps surprised that it is a blues rock based album? That said, the album rocks, Halo being my fave song out of the lot. But I love them all because that's the sort of music I'm into and there's no-one else around putting out the quality ax work Slash does in this field. Basically if you don't like what Slash has done in the past...don't buy this record.
    TremontiAddict
    This is Slash's second solo record, and this time Myles Kennedy is handling 100% of the vocals. As a matter of a fact, Slash has said that this album is more of a collaborative effort with MILES Kennedy than a solo album.
    Are you serious? I've seen his name messed up too many times to count on this site. Can't take 3 seconds to check? They even spelled it right the first time!
    captainperoxide
    This one was a slow burner for me. Took a few listens through before I really started to get into it, and after a few more, I loved it. No, it's not super experimental or a massive deviation from Slash's comfort zone, but I have no idea who legitimately thinks that every album has to be a complete evolution of sound. This is a great album, just take the time to enjoy it.
    33SLASH33
    Whole album is great! My most favorite songs for example Ap. love, Halo, No More Heroes - nice solo , Anastasia.. but, I think best solo from whole album = in You're a Lie. My opinion. ( I made gp tab of it 1 day after it was released so with apocalyptic love )
    Shiookami
    Or Chris Cornell, i LOVED the Promise track
    swave75 wrote: He should have used Iggy Pop!
    Abacus11
    I have a ton of respect for Slash as a guitar player. He's easily one of the best bluesy hard rock guitarists to have mainstream success since the late 80's. That said... I am so sick of him. I can't blame him for wanting to make money but he's become a ridiculous self-parody over the past few years and his actual playing has gotten stale. He's spending way too much time on marketing and image and not enough on his music. He needs to calm down a little and remember what made him great - playing in a great band. I'd love to see less of Slash for a little while then see him resurface as a part of a legit band. This solo stuff is just ruining his legacy. Myles Kennedy is an impressive vocalist so it's a good start for him. Now Slash... find a few more good musicians, write some good songs and let's see what happens!
    RasiedonRock
    Awesome album. The only good songs on his first solo album were the Kennedy songs, so it's nice to have a full album with him.
    reyreymoo
    I have to say it. I really love Slash and his work. But this albums is just lame not even close to his first solo album. From the first to the last I just wanted this waste of the to end. I'm really sorry for what this album is. It is just aint good enough. Again I really slash and his work. His first solo album kicked ass... :\
    david1063
    This album is SO much better then the first album, which was still pretty good. You just wanted it to end??! Arrgggg!!!
    Miyagi84
    I was hoping for a little bit better of an output to be honest... the riffs are a little too monolothic, too blocky... the songs are fine I suppose, but not many jump out and grab you... which is odd because Slash is a solid riff writer but not a great song writer, which makes me think that Myles had a hand in the latter for the better. This makes me think maybe Slash ran out of some ideas, because even though Slash's first album was so-so, it was mediocre because of the vocal performances, not the riffs which were pretty interesting and catchy. I was hoping for a bit more is all. SLash should have stuck with Myles on the first album completely... hindsight being 20/20 and all.
    sonicx2218
    I love the combo, but I also miss the diversity from the previous album. Singers like M.Shadows and Ozzy made the songs really different and interesting. I guess it was just too high a bar to try twice. That said, by itself this album is just generally a great rock & roll album. Myles has an amazing voice and Slash is..well...Slash.
    the_modfather
    Myles vocals work with not being able to understand them. Sorry for the badly worded sentence but I'm sure you understand. I usually don't like it but something about it works, may be just the speed of the songs. I think it's a great album and some of the coolest guitar work I've heard in a few months. And Myles' vocals (yeah some parts you can't understand) are great. It doesn't take away from the quality of his voice. But that's just my opinion. I'd definitely recommend it.
    FlyingPirahna
    I don't really want to listen to this because of Myles. I just really can't stand the guy's voice, he's a total ham and his only seems to have one way to sing any thing.
    MegadethFan18
    the_modfather wrote: Slash's snakepit wasn't technically a solo band
    It was actually two different bands. I'd say it was more of a "solo band" than his first album (which is great) because it was Slash playing Slash. As opposed to his first solo album, which is Slash playing Ozzy, Avenged Sevenfold, etc. I got this in the post today but I've yet to listen to it, I'll check it out tomorrow. iommi600 Are you stupid? GN'R is split up because Steven was a coke fiend, Axl and Slash wanted more money than Izzy and because Slash and Axl fell out. Slash doesn't like Axl and Axl doesn't like Slash, neither wants to say sorry to the other. Even if they made up I doubt Izzy would come back or Steven would get clean. Axl, Slash, Duff and Matt still ins't "Original GNR" I also don't know what's half assed about the current GnR, Bumble and DJ Ashba are virtuosos.
    Dave Frenzy
    TremontiAddict wrote: This is Slash's second solo record, and this time Myles Kennedy is handling 100% of the vocals. As a matter of a fact, Slash has said that this album is more of a collaborative effort with MILES Kennedy than a solo album. Are you serious? I've seen his name messed up too many times to count on this site. Can't take 3 seconds to check? They even spelled it right the first time!
    its not even his Second solo record... its his 4th lol doesnt anybody else remember "Aint Life Grand" and "Its 5 o'clock Somewhere" ???
    bandnamehere
    he needs to stop being an ego maniac and get axl back its what axl wants, just dont get duff back, we all know how that went...
    iSlash
    Abacus11 wrote: I have a ton of respect for Slash as a guitar player. He's easily one of the best bluesy hard rock guitarists to have mainstream success since the late 80's. That said... I am so sick of him. I can't blame him for wanting to make money but he's become a ridiculous self-parody over the past few years and his actual playing has gotten stale. He's spending way too much time on marketing and image and not enough on his music. He needs to calm down a little and remember what made him great - playing in a great band. I'd love to see less of Slash for a little while then see him resurface as a part of a legit band. This solo stuff is just ruining his legacy. Myles Kennedy is an impressive vocalist so it's a good start for him. Now Slash... find a few more good musicians, write some good songs and let's see what happens!
    What the **** are you talking about? He toured for 2+ years straight. Most of the album was written on tour.
    przemcio256
    The first solo album compared to this one sounds... average. The only real thing on 'R&fn'R' were the guests. Now the pure rock n' roll is what we get. For me it's 8/10.