Slash review by Slash

• Released: Apr 6, 2010
Slash: Slash

Slash has pulled out the big guns for his debut solo CD, and Guns N' Roses (and Velvet Revolver) devotees will be relieved to know that the iconic guitarist doesn't misfire. You might make the automatic assumption that Slash would deliver an album full of his trademark blues-rock riffage, and there is some truth to that notion. But the self-titled CD, although creatively driven by Slash, branches off into several musical arenas due largely in part to the eclectic group of musicians recruited for the project. There aren't many artists who would have the guts to include the likes of Adam Levine (Maroon 5), Fergie (Black Eyed Peas), and Iggy Pop on the same album, but you've got to hand it to the man with the top hat. He works it out. The album's 14 tracks (which include the last-minute addition Back From Cali, featuring Myles Kennedy on vocals) always bolster trademark Slash moments, but the unique styles of the guest artists are also huge driving forces. It's a veritable laundry list of the who's who in rock, with Slash usually writing the musical portion with specific individuals in mind. Iggy Pop's We're All Gonna Die certainly carries the most punk-heavy vibe on the album, while the Lemmy Kilmeister-fronted Doctor Alibi contains all of the attitude and rawness one would hope and pray would embody the spirit of Motorhead. With pretty much every track, you'll receive a good dose of soloing from Slash, who wows with his wah-fueled work in the first single By The Sword (featuring Wolfmother's Andrew Stockdale). Utilizing the skills of Fergie and/or crooner Levine could possibly induce fear and trepidation into any Guns N' Rose purist. Thankfully Slash's songwriting is steering the ship. Fergie's performance on Beautiful Dangerous takes a huge leap from her usual hip-hop repertoire, and the slithering rock tune ends up being one of the most satisfying tracks on the album. Levine does not necessarily shock with the pop-rock ballad Gotten, but Slash has mentioned in interviews that writing that particular track was a labor-intensive process. Between its intricate arrangement (complete with a string section) and emotional intensity, Gotten is an uncharacteristic, but oddly satisfying offering. For as much time as Slash poured into a complex arrangement like the one heard in Gotten, it's the straight-on jam song that makes one of the biggest impressions. Watch This, which showcases the talents of drummer Dave Grohl and bassist Duff McKagan, is a grinding rock instrumental that is reminiscent of GN'R's early days. Apparently Grohl refused to provide vocals, and the man must have known what he was doing. Watch This is a celebration of all the qualities that has elevated Slash to guitar god.

While Slash is essentially the man behind the music, the vocalists took control of the lyrics. Given the varied nature of the artists, Slash's record delves into a broad range of themes. In one moment the record tackles relationships (Levine's Gotten ) and in the next Kid Rock's I Hold On is delivering the staple message of just-take-life-one-day-at-a-time. Who gets the award for being most brutally honest? Mr. Iggy Pop in We're Gonna Die, of course. You can't deny the punk appeal of lyrics like: I'm in the mood; So let's intrude; Pee on the ground and jump around.

Don't expect a carbon copy of Appetite For Destruction or Contraband with Slash's self-titled debut. The guitarist has plenty more up his sleeve, and his diverse musical tastes have never been more evident. While that variety may still scare some listeners out there, the vast majority of tracks are memorable, infectious, and inspired. Slash channels Jimmy Page with By The Sword, and may singlehandedly revive Ozzy Osbourne's music career with Crucify The Dead. A word of advice to any beloved musician who is looking to go solo in the future: Take notes from Slash.

haz_uk
    some awesome guitar playing on this, and the production is frickin' tight. NICE.
    warmus01
    The nothing to say solo has some very Randy Rhoads inspired licks any1 noticed? Overall, pretty good, nothing really to complain about
    SacrificeMe
    kodadak
    Aw, man. Slash trying to be metal on Nothing to Say by ripping off some Sabbath trills and Black Album riffs, is just sad.
    One problem with your logic, the Black Album didn't have the speed metal 32nd notes that Nothing to Say has
    rgt42dx
    How judgmental are you?
    geekgangstaguy
    SacrificeMe wrote: its terrible... this is just a gimmick album to make idiots who only care about celebrity guests to buy this junk.. its mediocre no riff really stands out no great textures or song moments just fuzzy junky garbage. except the intro to the ozzy song.. only interesting part on the album
    Um...cough cough, but the intro to Ghost is a lot more interesting than the intro to Crucify the Dead...
    jimzer
    Compact Discs: With his self-titled solo debut, Slash proves that venturing out on one's own can actually be a wise career move. whoever wrote that should.. not write. who gives a shit about career move. its not even a career (wake up at 9, home at 5?) its about the music. speaking in terms of the album i think its subpar. i like the adam levine track, the melodies are excellent, so's the guitar, but the distorted bit just doesnt fit in. and slash could've put in a very nice soulful solo on there. but apart from that all average tracks. snorefest!
    Jk3y
    meh, I found it all pretty average no really, I really want to like it - but I can't find one track that is anywhere near memorable... I didn't expect too much however so not that disappointed...Slash is a legend no matter what, but don't kid yourself, it's pretty average PS: don't flame me
    manipedro
    I think this album is good. You are all saying it's disappointing but it's still good... I think that your opinions are negative because you were expecting a perfect album...
    Jarf
    Damn this album is good. Every single song is way better than I expected.
    Big Spender
    I too like it for that reason. I enjoy Santana's recent(ish) collab albums too. I highly recommend the english version of Sahara too to all that haven't heard it. There's nothing wrong with the japanese version, I just related to the song more when I could understand the words =]
    KingHenrik1967
    at the risk of being trolled, i actually like the new paradise city... sure, not as bluesy and glorious as the original, but i like the way its been re-arranged, i think it came out really well. and why has no1 said Watch This is good yet ? it reminds me of 'that jam' we've all had at some point that really sticks out in your mind. Crucify The Dead and Ghosts - best songs of the year so far
    jamesismy
    I love the album. My favorite part of reading all these comments is everyone who has been ripping on 'Nothing to Say' has said he ripped off the riff from a different guitarist. I find it hard to believe he ripped off one riff from multiple guitarists. Right now my favorites are 'Back from Cali' and 'Doctor Alibi' great album all around!
    cteez910
    i think the middle songs in the album are the weakest except for lemmy's
    guitarist41
    Seems pretty boring and dissapointing. M. Shadows song was a big dissapointment for me.
    TromboneThunder
    I like it. He does pull off the "feature an unreasonable number of celebrities" thing unexpectedly well.
    voodoochild23
    I love the fact that some people can't bring themselves to enjoy this album. Its probably the one thing that makes me feel genuine amusement on a daily basis. Slash has fallen so far? Oh right, yea, is that what you discovered while jamming with him the other night? Get over yourselves man, this album is so damn enjoyable, the only bad thing is it could only be done this one time, by this one great guitarist, and won't be topped for a long long time. Slash took a few years out of trying to stop old GnR fans from crying for the past 15 years, to spend on doing what musicians actually want to do... find the fun side of writing songs, collaborating with talented people, every one of whom put in a stellar performance on the album. Give the guy a break, try learning the songs or solos on this album for a start, its not exactly beginner-level stuff...
    ringo23rsr
    impressive album, it was definetly worth the wait for it and slash is one of my favorite guitarists of all time and im really glad he got to do a solo album and it worked perfectly for him. slash is definetly a smart guy for taking classic singers and modern singers and adepting them all into one solid rock album
    espChris93
    i actually wanted to like this album dispite disliking slash, but i guess a few good guest vocalists cant save an overatted over-the-hill guitar players album especially when he has other equally overatted singers on it and tries to, almost sporadictly at times, jump around from sound to sound as if hes trying to prove that he can play different styles of music which arent that diverse to begin with
    JayT44
    This album > Chinese Democracy. Seriously. Nothing to Say is amazing. Did NOT expect Slash to jump into metal like that, and M. Shadows' vocal are pretty badass. By the Sword is fantastic as well. Andrew Stockdale would be a great fit for VR IMO.
    arnob_oblique
    this is Slash's big FU to Axl Roses Chinese Democracy, Remarkable album. The best of this decade!
    Tool 4 life
    ok its out....so can we now get over all the omg slash isnt in GnR anymore they will failz arguments?
    kazetuner
    What's wrong with you, people? Gotten and Promise are actually among the best songs in the album.
    duzit89
    geekgangstaguy
    I wish I could disagree haha
    Waterboy799
    Nothing to Say is easily the best song on the album. i was having trouble believing that was Slash playing cause it was so different from his usual stuff. the Myles Kennedy stuff is also pretty ace. the rest of the album isn't bad, there's really not much to hate.
    Astyan
    Not my kind of stuff, but it's definitely refreshing and well composed. I liked Nothing to Say, also rofl @ Iggy Pop singing "we're all gonna die, so let's get high".
    Johny Burninate
    kodadak
    Why is it that whenever someone mentions Chris Cornell, they mention Audioslave, his golden years were with Soundgarden in my opinion
    Anarchy_Ant
    Johny Burninate wrote: duzit89 wrote: News Flash: Slash figures out .. When one SellOut works With other SellOuts.. = they make even more money. Ahmen,at least this will put an end to the whole "axl sucks because he went out of blues hardrock" notion.The album was disappointing much like vr...It's really sad hes fallen so far :/
    Professional trollin' I'm really enjoying the album at the moment. I love albums with a lot of variation and this is delivering on many levels so far :]
    forsaknazrael
    Force Reaver wrote: Im a huge Slash fan but I have to say im not realy impressed. The fact that it jumps from genre to genre is kinda cool but also confusing. This album doesnt really fit anywhere. This album is so mediocre dont buy into the hype this album does not deserve the high rating it has gotten. This isnt R N F R its generic am radio music. All this time slash worked on this and for what, a generic rock album?.....sigh
    I thought it showcased Slash's versatility. You don't see him write in different style often, and he does it wonderfully. I thought it was a great album with some great riffs.
    metalfr3ak666
    the album's not as good as i thought it would be,but still pretty amazing. i had my doubts about the slash and fergie collaborating, but beautifully dangerous's is actually pretty catchy.
    PRSman20
    For those that liked "Beautifully Dangerous": The B-side to "Sahara" is a "Paradise City" cover feat. Fergie. I think its pretty good. But its up to you. xD
    Andragon
    Astyan
    Okay, I'm now pretty sure he's going to make a ton of money out of this, I'm finding myself hooked far more than I'd have thought. "I Hold On" is pretty catchy.
    oldschoolthrash
    voodoochild23 wrote: I love the fact that some people can't bring themselves to enjoy this album.
    Yes, those opinions that differ from yours sure are silly.
    TheEsupremacy
    Sadly, I totally agree with ^this post. Colour me unimpressed. *sigh*
    Phycopath09
    Dude, it's people like you that cant' accept other people opinions. It's just an opinion. Your opinion is that he isnt, but his opinion is that he is. So just quit it with this stuff.
    Superperfex wrote: Dom_so1 wrote: i love the album !!! absolutley amazing i listen to it all the time and it always gets me in a rock (lets fuk shit up) mood!!! and thats exactly what it should do!!! all the vocalists are awesome and the guitar obviously will never let u down!!! slash.... the worlds best guitarist....delivers everytime!!!! the songs are fun to play on guitar!!! very fun!!!! so dnt forget to learn them and for all the fukers that think the album is shit.... fuk u!!!! u dnt know shit so go fuk urself!!! Um, for slash's sake, stop right there. It's fanboys like you that make listening to slash not fun. He is far from being the best guitarist, but he is still very respectable. Just stop praising him as the best guitarist. smh
    rgt42dx
    As good as it is, it feels like an exposition into what more slash can do. This seems like a big fun and tasty jam and it sounds fresh and satisfying, but I hope this ends at this. I'd love to hear more epic songwriting like the old GnR days with whatever flavor he has left in future releases, with or without big guest vocalists.
    edinfang
    i Know this sounds wierd but the Fergie song sounded a lot like Paparazi by Lady Gaga. Best song on the album was Definitely Ghost though
    voodoochild23
    randyaintdead82 wrote: ehhhh i dont really like it. Slash is just doing what he normally does, "RNFR". Its all he really can do i guess. I man you dont have to be a shredder to be good, but i just dont think slash did anything different. he kinda just went and had it his way and it sounds like what ive heard on a GNR/VR record. nothing new
    Slash is doing everything he couldn't VR or Guns. If you cant notice the difference, you've really overestimated your understanding of rock music. Where has he ever recorded a song like Saint is a Sinner, outside of this album? Nothing To Say, has he ever done that before? On one hand you've got people saying "Rubbish album, too many different styles, LOL slash trying to be metal LOL he ripped off Sabbath LOL he's over the hill" and on the other hand idiots saying "Er isn't this just the same as his old stuff?" Get a clue. I'm glad most people on here appear to have enjoyed the album.