World On Fire review by Slash

• Released: Sep 15, 2014
Slash: World On Fire

This album really exceeded my expectations when I bought it last year. I had read up on the hype for it in various interviews from Slash telling us that it would be a lot more heavier than his last album "Apocalyptic Love." "World on Fire" is quite a long record with its 17 tracks that can seem a bit lengthy but well worth the inclusion.

The title track starts off with a fast guitar riff that chugs throughout the whole song in bombastic pizzaz, while "Shadow Life" slows us down a tad but is still a good tune. "Automatic Overdrive" and "Wicked Stone" are definitely intricate with intriguing guitar, bass, and drum leads/parts. "30 Years to Life," "Battleground," and "Dirty Girl" didn't really appeal to me as much as the rest of the album and did feel like filler a bit.

"Bent to Fly" to "Withered Delilah" are really great tunes to give the album a backbone with strong material. The aforementioned two songs and in between them ("Stone Blind," "Too Far Gone," and "Beneath the Savage Sun") all made an impact on me for some of Slash's most fun work. That being said Todd and Brent provide a perfect rhythm section with their own more than satisfying answers to Slash on bass and drums respectively.

"Iris of the Storm," "The Dissident," "Safari Inn," and "The Unholy" are also very nice songs and continue the trend of a hard hitting record with catchy heavy riffs. "Safari Inn" is an instrumental song. "Avalon" happens to be my favorite of them all on the album, really spoke to me and rocked my socks completely off!

Michael "Elvis" Baskette (the producer of the album) did an amazing job and the mix is quite evenly distributed and you hear everyone properly. I wouldn't change it a bit.

I think Myles did a great job writing lyrics for the album as they contain intellectual, fun, and rowdy atmospheres in every song. The lyrics and music go together perfectly and nothing is too loud in the mix either which is great for the listener.

"The Unholy" is about corrupt organized religion and the darker side behind it all. "Beneath the Savage Sun" sounds like it's about war and the useless need for it and damage it leaves behind. My favorite vocal parts have to be from: the bridge in "World on Fire" "close the door, turn the key, do you like what you see?, kill the lights, oh come to me..." The chorus in "Wicked Stone" "I'm getting off this wicked stone, cuz I can't stay and I can't deny that, all I want is lost, no I can't face another night on this wicked stone."

Myles has an undeniably amazing voice and it sounded great live when I saw him on this tour in Vancouver (Oct 2015) also. This album is just the tip of the iceberg for what he can do with his vocal range and the texture of his voice.

I would say this was one of Slash's better albums, I enjoyed "Apocalyptic Love" but a few of those songs on it seemed to drag on for me or got boring also IMO. I feel that if you would compare this to his previous work it would be reminiscent of: "Use Your Illusion I" for the length and number of tracks, "Contraband" for its slinky and smooth sound, and "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" for its obscure edgy tones (bass wah..? in "Stone Blind").

The most impressive songs for me on the album were: "Automatic Overdrive," "Wicked Stone," "Stone Blind," "Beneath the Savage Sun," "Avalon," "The Dissident," "Bent to Fly," "Too Far Gone," and "Withered Delilah." The rest of the tunes were also really good though with the exception of "Battleground" which I couldn't get into.

I love how long it is and I praise the fact that they decided to give us a longer album. Quantity isn't quality but it is in this situation as the whole thing ties together nicely and the production on it was fantastic. I wouldn't say I hate anything about it, the album cover is quite wacky but that's a good thing! I would buy it again if it was lost or stolen but I wouldn't be angrily running out to the music store or anything. I have it on my computer and iPod so that's alright.