Ain't Life Grand review by Slash's Snakepit

• Released: Oct 10, 2000
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Slash's Snakepit: Ain't Life Grand

Slash's second album is considerably heavier than his GN'R days, I'd say it's closer to VR than GN'R, but it feels a bit more varied, and less "modern rock" (although I don't understand the comparisons made betwen this and Aerosmith's rock). Most of the songs are 'straight up rock', although there seems a distinct lack of a roll to it. Mean Bone is one of the stand outs, despite a hideous intro and a riff comprised of simply two power chords, and Shine has a great intro. The opening song been there lately is a good catchy song too, and there are more than a few other satisfactory songs.

Lyrics were never his strong point, but they suit the music fine without being obtrusivee. I much prefer singer Rod Jackson to It's Five O'Clock's Eric Dover. His voiice is extremely masculine. Axl fans may be disappointed. I actually feel he sonds sort of similar to the Silvertide singer (although I've only heard 30 second clips of the songs off Amazon, so I could be wrong).

I'll avoid the obvious comparisons to GN'R, I douubt any GN'R member will replicate that golden era (although Izzy sort of comes close). Overall it's a solid album which I don't regret buying. If you do get this make sure you get the Japanese import as the bonus tracks are the best on the album. Hey, if you bought TSI? Then you have no excuse not to buy this.

Polish guy
    What can I say..I'm very happy I've got this CD.. It sounds great and all Slash's solos are perfect.
    DJG_GNR
    This shit is amazing! Im a huuuuuge Slash Fan! he's my friggen god! I love GNR, Velvet Revolver, and of course this Band! This CD Is the shit! One Day i will see slash in concert.. my life goal! DJG
    heart_ache
    Yeah, this cd is very good.. But the previous one, "It's five o'clock somewhere" is even better when it comes to the musical ratings.
    area18hanger51
    Where do you find this cd its nowhere?!!! ur lif goal should be to have slash come to your concert lol