Ain't Life Grand Review

Slash's Snakepit: Ain't Life Grand
Released: October 10, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock
Ain't Life Grand is still a passable, workmanlike record that will definitely appeal to fans of grimy, old-school hard rock.
 8.5
 8.4
 8.6
Ain't Life Grand Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2004

Sound: The overall sound is fantastic, Slash's guitar is unmistakeable of corse, all the music is played with extreme style. It is a rock and roll album and sounds just like you would want it to but their are some pianos, saxaphones and other things thrown in aswel. Theirs a great mix of rock and roll, metal, jazz and thrash music and yet somehow they all fit together brilliantly. The solos are of corse fantastic but should you expect any less from fuzzy face? nope. // 10

Lyrics: Rodney Jackson is brilliant, whos ever heard of this guy? No one. Why not? He's frikkin brilliant. A deep rough voice that can sing wounderfuly as well as shout as well as anyone iv ever heard. I'm not sure if Rod sings all the lyrics on the last track 'Alien' but if he does then that song realy is a showcase for the guy. brilliant. The lyrics have meanings but dont make too much of a point to them but instead keep them fun and exiting every time. // 10

Overall Impression: I cannot recomend this album enough, Slash has created one of the best rock albums I have ever heard in Aint life Grand. It's better than anything he ever done with Guns 'n Roses, it even beats appitite. It real is that good. It's difficult to choose the best songs, there is no filler on this, but at a push I would say: Been there latley, lifes a sweet drug and aint life grand are my favorites but everything is worth listning to over and over. To begin with the album seems uneven, songs like 'Shine' feel out of place and poor but with more listens they grow on you. The rest however will blow you away first time you hear it and the second, and the third and many more times to come. Even the cover is brilliant, the caractures of the band, the cartoons, the top hat snake, the super cool pic of Slash and the band on the inside. Great! If lost or stolen I would order another as soon as I found out, then hunt down who took it. Friends of mine have already tried it but failed and bought it themself. To conclude; one of the best albums ever made buy it then copy it a few time to make sure u never lose it. // 10

Ain't Life Grand Reviewed by: reckless_life, on february 20, 2006

Sound: Slash's second album is considerably heavier than his GN'R days, I'd say it's closer to VR than GN'R, but it feels a bit more varied, and less "modern rock" (although I don't understand the comparisons made betwen this and Aerosmith's rock). Most of the songs are 'straight up rock', although there seems a distinct lack of a roll to it. Mean Bone is one of the stand outs, despite a hideous intro and a riff comprised of simply two power chords, and Shine has a great intro. The opening song been there lately is a good catchy song too, and there are more than a few other satisfactory songs. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics were never his strong point, but they suit the music fine without being obtrusivee. I much prefer singer Rod Jackson to It's Five O'Clock's Eric Dover. His voiice is extremely masculine. Axl fans may be disappointed. I actually feel he sonds sort of similar to the Silvertide singer (although I've only heard 30 second clips of the songs off Amazon, so I could be wrong). // 6

Overall Impression: I'll avoid the obvious comparisons to GN'R, I douubt any GN'R member will replicate that golden era (although Izzy sort of comes close). Overall it's a solid album which I don't regret buying. If you do get this make sure you get the Japanese import as the bonus tracks are the best on the album. Hey, if you bought TSI? Then you have no excuse not to buy this. // 7

Comments