Christ Illusion review by Slayer

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Aug 8, 2006
  • Sound: 2
  • Lyrics: 1
  • Overall Impression: 1
  • Reviewer's score: 1.3 Junky
  • Users' score: 7.9 (298 votes)
Slayer: Christ Illusion
0

Sound — 2
Let me start off by saying I did my best to walk into this album objectively, as if it were the first time I've heard Slayer. Granted, everyone has probably heard at least one Slayer song in their lifetime if they listen to the metal genre. I haven't listened to every Slayer album, but I thought I'd give this one a shot, since 2005/2006 has been a great period so far for bands to release new works. I listened to this album on myspace when it started streaming. I also borrowed it from a friend, and I'm listening to it while I'm writing the review, so I won't miss anything. The quality of the album is no better than on myspace, which bothered me a little. But I digress (oh, I'm not going to bother reviewing the bass, since overall, it is unimpressive. Granted I'm sure that's because Araya is singing something). 01. Flesh Storm - a very nice intro for the album, fast, full guitars and some decent drum-work. Then suddenly, we reach 0:35 and Tom Araya steps in and does his best to ruin everything. I'll discuss more about his lyrics in the lyric section, but needless to say, you need to be a die-hard fan of his voice. Honestly, his sudden appearance into the music just killed the song. The section about "iconic devotion" is less than amazing. The little solo at 1:25 is decent, albeit short. He tries to make up for it at 2:39, and he does manage to redeem himself, so kudos. But after this, the song really should have just ended. It's ridiculously repetative, and I was thankful to get a break by 4:14. 02. Catalyst - the song wastes no time here. You're thrown right into Catalyst. I liked the guitar solo at 1:36, it's decent. Guitar work here is really nothing special. The drums do not seem to shine. Araya again murders the song as best as he can vocally. 03. Eyes Of The Insane - actually heard this song before the album came out on a local radio station, and didn't know it was Slayer. My reaction then was the same as now: "What is this garbage?" The guitars in the intro are less than impressive (personally I hate them). The drums are very good however. Araya again destroys any chance this song had lyrically. By 1:25, this song has gone on too long. At 1:51, the guitar soloing returns, with as much suckitude as possible. What was that supposed to be? He has to be kidding. Too long, too boring, too uninspired. Next. 04. Jihad - holy shit! The guitars are doing something different? I actually hate the intro to this song, but it's the only thing that isn't the constant tremelo picking of the top string. Kinda thought this song was going somewhere, but aound 0:40 it disappoints. By 0:52, we're back to the mindlessness featured in the 3 previous tracks. Quite a buzz about this song before the album came out. Everyone figuring it would be controversial, and practically salivating over the idea. Well, Araya is in rare form here. And I'll comment on it here as well as in lyrics. His lyrics are more than inflammatory. Not the just the whole "this is God's war" part, but Aray accuses God of "raping" believers. I'll get into this more in lyrics. The guitar solo is crap again. Sorry, but we've heard the same thing in previous songs. Do something else, or at least let us forget you're there. 2:51 to the very end is just plain lame. But I'll tell you, I'm kinda glad that Araya stopped singing. Easily one of the worst songs on the album- and so far, that's been hard to do. 05. Skeleton Christ - oh boy. Gotta love the "anti-God, hail Satan" themes here. The guitars are boring and repetative. Solo before 1:08 sucks. And the guitar solo at 2:56 sucks even worse. Listen, we've heard that in the two previous songs. Do something else. Around 3:30 the song takes a turn. And not for the better. The guitars remind us at 3:42 that it is possible to solo over crap, but the solo will also sound equal. A step up from Jihad, but that's not saying much. 06. Consfearacy - very clever play on words. You can tell Slayer is just oozing with wit at this point. More capitalizing on politics as we've seen by so many bands whose careers are in the toilet. The intro is the same thing we've heard in just about every single song, with just a minor variation of what notes between open and the 6th fret (Let's face it, he's not going any higher than that) are being played. This song is nothing special until about 0:26 where the solo guitar returns, again. The same type of soloing as we've heard in the 5 previous tracks prevails. Thrilling. It returns again throughout the song, and to be honest, it actually improves the musical quality slightly. I'll even give him that the little guitar effect at 1:37 is awesome. But his droning soloing that continues, is nothing impressive. 07. Catatonic - a step in the right direction. You know towards melody. This song is really good until 0:38. If Araya wasn't singing, I'd like it a whole lot more. 1:05 (which I guess is the chorus-type riff) sucks. The soloing at 1:43 just shouldn't have happened. 2:32 takes a better turn. The drums pick up substantially, and the guitar riffs are much better. The solo is better after this point. Too bad we've heard it so many times. Can someone buy him a new effect or something? And someone needs to show him when the solos need to end, because they go on too long and then just sorta fizzle out, like a sparkler. 4:54 is far too long for this song. 08. Black Serenade - the transition from Catatonic to Black Serenade just does not jive. The guitars feel half-assed. You can tell there's a lot of potential here, but they just go nowhere and side in favor of repetition. 1:10's sudden burst of energy makes no sense. It feels like they just spliced two songs together. After this point, the song just sorta goes to hell. Although, it's Slayer, so maybe that was the intent. The atonal quality of this song is really, really overdone. Too much of the music does not jive, even by Slayer standards. I would have favored guitars more like the beginnig. 09. Cult - starts off with a much needed quiet riff. The tempo change is welcomed at this point. The guitars are decent again. The drums at 1:11 are awesome. Then enter the same garbage we've heard before. Guitar solos appear periodically to distract from Araya's completely ridiculous yelling. 2:49 the song just starts to go into overdrive in the suck department. 3:16 marks the return of the ever-so-boring guitar solos. Nice try guys. Take a breather and try not to suck on the last one. 10. I was so happy when I reached this track. It felt like there was a lot more then 10 tracks. If that were the case, I'm not so sure I would have continued past here. I'd reached my limit by song 4. I like this guitars here. They give up the overly loud quality for sound. Araya comes back here in his most prevalent hate speech ever. The guitars become disguisting. I'm not sure what happened to the energy in the intro, but it is completely lost until 1:36. Then the energy returns, but not in a good way. The solo at 1:50 sucks. The change in tempo at 2:00 sounds like everything else on this album. 2:28 marks a return to the slow, painful guitar riffs. The soloing in the background is useless. Araya takes center stage here, and overpowers everything until 3:16. The song finally dies at 3:17. But then persisits with annoying little noises until 3:50. Slayer certainly leaves us with something to think about on this last track. Why did you waste your money on this album? With every track reviewed, my overall review of their sound should make a little more sense. When I started off, I wondered how I could describe the sound of Slayer's new album. In one sense, they remind me of those kids in high school who had that metal band, and all the songs sounded exactly the same. In another sense, I remember those kids having a little more talent. And I remember they all ended up pumping gas. If only that were the case with Slayer. Slayer is a testament to the idea of "too much of anything is bad for you." Too many unnecessary tempo changes. Too many "insane" beats and breakneck tempo. Too many poorly thought out lyrics. Too much yelling by Araya. Too many awful guitar solos that sound exactly the same. It's a problem when one song really can't be distinguished from another because they are all played the same way. Too little of everything also hurts them: Too little direction. Too little variation. Too little thought put into the songs. You can argue, but the guitars are completely half-assed and identical for the most part. The drums could be swaped in and out of any song and traded for a different drum track from another song and I wouldn't bat an eye. I can't imagine Slayer spent much time in the recording studio. And I can't imagine the guy at the sound board cared too much. This album sounds like it was mixed in someone's basement. In terms of sound, Slayer should just throw in the towel. I'm deducting 1 point overall from the total score for it's really shitty quality.

Lyrics — 1
There are some things you need to know when listening to Slayer so that you can understand the lyrics: expect nothing special; frontman Tom Araya thinks you are an idiot. His lyrics are written for the unintelligent (which I guess works, since so many people love it), and the only time he uses a word longer than four letters is when a bunch of little words wouldn't fit; Tom Araya's writing is about as inspired as Swiss cheese. There is an utter lack of imagery and a lack of substance. He also recycles the same themes again and again and again, without even bothering to change the way he says it (for example: how many times can you possibly talk about blood raining down); Araya's lyrics are contradictory. God doesn't exist. Oh, and God hates you. Religion is powerless. But it starts wars; Araya goes for shock value, because he sucks at writing and he wants people to pay attention to him; Araya is also completely egocentric- He demands you see things his way. Otherwise, he'd gladly see you dead. I need to look this up one day, or maybe someone else knows. Was Tom Araya enrolled in Catholic school? Did he get knocked out by a nun? Or did he have a dog that died when he was four and he's mad at God for it? Seriously, at this point, his vendetta against God and religion is old-hat and it's a little more than an obsession. He sounds more like a child angry at a parent. He should probably get some sort of counciling. How many albums of anti-religion hate can he churn out? Personally, I thought this whole anti-religion, anti-God thing was wearing itself out. Slayer's really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Not only is the subject old, it's uninspired and his presentation is garbage. There isn't one intelligent thought going on. It's more like Araya just spitting everything he says is true out of his mouth totally stream of consciousness. In addition, those with a careful ear will hear Araya being guilty of reverse bigotry. Araya's hate speech has never been more prevalent, claiming in songs that he wants to see religious people crucified and wants to see them burning. Araya lumps everyone together in one big pot, in quite possibly the worst form of stereotyping ever. What's worse is, his listeners allow him to get away with it, and never call him on it. People even support the sort of hate preaching he allows to spew from his mouth, and he revels in that support and all the money it rakes in. Araya's lyrics are also confusing. He denies God's existence. Then says he is fighting God, and claims he's made his choice to side with the devil. Granted, he's probably just talking about the "symbol" of God and Satan, that he's fighting those ideas. But sometimes, it's hard to tell if he actually believes he is fighting God- actually leading a war against a diety. He also falls back and forth between blaming God and rebuking God. There's no real rhyme or reason here. I took a look at four which really stood out as just nonsensical. Eyes Of The Insane: let's capitalize on the idea of soldiers and warfare. Everyone else is doing it. Come on, look at Green Day. Yeah, we can pretty much start lumping Slayer in with those who ride the band-wagon (no pun intended) when their career is dead. But, for what it's worth, this is Araya's only half decent attempt at anything to be considered imagery. And it's a sorry excuse at that. Jihad - oh the things that could be said about this song. Honestly, this should be offensive to everyone, religious and non-religious. This guy gets up and throws every obscenity into the face of people who are religious. Even if you don't agree with the ideas of Holy Wars (and practically no one except those in the middle east do), you can't possibly believe that his hate speech here is founded. Cult - this song is offensive, and Araya knew it when he wrote it. I know that's what Slayer is about, but at this point, he is seriously writing simply to hurt people. It's not like he's offering an alternative. Just shooting down Christian beliefs. There never was a sacrifice, No man who hung the crucifix; Beware the call for purity, Infections their facility; I've made my choice, 666!. Ultimate-Guitar loved this line apparently. But when you look at that, he's asking for people to get mad. Maybe it's just a cry for attention. Supremist - wow. That's all I could think of. This is just dripping with anti-everything sentiment. Araya is practically seething in his statement that he doesn't even want to breathe the same air as other human beings who have differing beliefs. He wants to see them crucified, suffering and in pain. Worst of all, this is not just a figure of speech, he means it. How he gets away with saying these things is amazing. Again, this should offend everyone- this is just preaching utter hate. The same thing he accuses religion of doing. Hypocrisy reigns in Slayer.

Overall Impression — 1
Here's where I'll stop being objective, because I've made up my mind now. Slayer had their day, and it is over. In fact, even then, their day didn't amount to much. Anyone could do what they have done, in fact, others have. Shock bands aren't drumming up the sort of response they used to, especially not after 20 years. And without the muscial prowess to back themselves up they are just making fools of themselves. Ultimately, Christ Illusion is garbage. Pure, unadulterated garbage. There is nothing special in terms of the band's sound, nothing new, nothing innovative, and in fact, they've lost the sound they previously had (which wasn't really much to begin with). Not only did they not "invent" their genre like everyone seems to believe, they are atrocious at it. They are certainly a "god" of rock we could do without.

77 comments sorted by best / new / date

    TheFuzz
    Slayer has always been about hitting you with a wall of sound and shocking anyone with anything. From the looks of it, they have again succeeded!!! They have never been anything but repetitive. How many open chord variations are possible and how often has Slayer used them? But, bottom line is ''who cares''!!! I like the album, just for it's guitar value. Evidently, Cult is the same a Dead Skin mask who's the same as Blood Red who's the same as Enter Sandman. Same riff, different variations. But....sounds good. The real hammer here is Catatonic. heavy slayer like we like it. All thru the CD, there are little flashes of brilliance, but never all put together to create a work of anthology. It's Seasons in the Abyss sliding in the Abyss!! Not gone down yet, but certainly agonizing. On 10, I would give it a 6. But whatever, I still enjoy picking up the old axe and playing their stuff, even the new one...
    MexiChriS
    lol, this shit is getting funny. and they didnt call it Mohammad Illusion because they said something like it's more funner to say something bad about god than like satan...(on the new slayer dvd) but you see they write stuff thats ****ed up in other peoples eyes, but right in theres. but you also got to remember that there stuff that kerry believes in....hes really ****ing evil. lol so i dont blame him for saying what he wants, and im pretty sure he doesnt think he's right. he just has his own thought. but unlike some of us we can't get our shit heard like he can....so oh well who cares if hes right or wrong, or its ****ed up or its not. its all just music in the end....either way you look at it. oh and the war shit that they wrote...they got inspired by a article with soldiers who dies...it showed pictures of people hurt, where thy were at, and how the sitiation was...so im pretty sure with jsut images and a article's you can write some pretty twisted and cruel stuff. ya know...like stephen king he sees things in his head and writes it out. theres nothing hard about doing that. p.s. i did buy the album, i went to hot topics to get it when they were at there sign-in shit. but i came late, a cop pulled my friend over, so i didnt get to meet them myself sucks...i had alot of questions for kerry and jeff about the whole album and shit. oh and the old stuff is better, the new one is ****ing amazing...i think it will rise somewhere. and correction to who ever wrote they had there days like metallica....your ****ing dumb man, mettalica never had a straight ****ing fan base for nearly 2 decades or so, **** slayer had there shit going since the start of reign and before i would say so...it never went down at all they kept there shit true. but anyways the new stuff gets me pumped up alot. works for working out at the gym. ahahaha :]
    GuitarGod610
    Araya's voice is not any worse than it has been on previous albums. Personally, I don't find that it takes away from the music at all. There's always so much anger in his voice, and it's perfect when you just want to headbang.
    Herman'sfan
    Ok, look, if the lyrics offend u, then stfu!!!!! Dont listen to the damn album!!! I'm a christian, but do I let the lyrics bother me? No, cuz they r just ****ing words!!!!! They write about wat they want to, and dont give a damn wat people think, and for that I respect them! But I dont respect anyone with these pathetic excuses to hate the album!!!!! In my opinion the album was great!!!!! Not the greatest, but great all the same.
    threebillion6
    Alright, i've read far to much $hit. This is a good album. If you listen to ANY of Slayers lyrics you'll find that they're all dissing on something or someone or about some disgusting thing like Dead Skin Mask. haha. but thats what you gotta LOVE about Slayer, is that they can just come out and write all this stuff, have it be in the Billboard Top 10, and sell a $hit load. If your just going to bash on Slayer for having anti- christian lyrics, you shouldnt be anywhere near metal/rock/anything with a distorted guitar. This is Slayers antichristian album, deal with it. They still effin rock, and no one is gonna tell them to write otherwise, or Slayer will just tell them to F**K OFF! Seriously, Kerry King said that they would say that. Haha
    recliner33
    To the dumbass who wrote the second review: The bad lyrics aren't Arraya's fault because he hardly writes any of the lyrics, it's king's fault, he is the main songwriter in the band. Arraya just sings it, he doesn't come up with much of it though.
    GiantRaven
    tremonty_slayer wrote: Damn! Who the guy of the 2nd review is? Cause I`m sure as hell he doesn`t know sh*t about thrash or metal. He even has the nerve to claim that anybody can do what Slayer has in the past 2 decades. Well let me be the first to tell you. NO ONE HASN`T EVEN REMOTELY DONE AS MUCH FOR METAL AS SLAYER. But since you sound so sure about your review I`ll tell what the deal is. Why don`t you form your own band, redefine the genre you play, stay strong for your convictions for 25 years and then we can all discuss how many classics you recorded, about you reputation and your contributions to music?
    So making similar sounding stuff over and over is 'redefining genres'? I hope to god I never redefine any genres then...
    kerryking112
    anthony19 wrote: well i don't like an albulm thats bad for the lord jesus christ it will not last long in the name of jesus christ the band will split and the album go down for the sortest reining album maybe in history divided from god you fall but with him you live forever
    Just like he split them up after Reign in Blood? You're the reason Kerry King hates Christians.
    tremonty_slayer wrote: Damn! Who the guy of the 2nd review is? Cause I`m sure as hell he doesn`t know sh*t about thrash or metal. He even has the nerve to claim that anybody can do what Slayer has in the past 2 decades. Well let me be the first to tell you. NO ONE HASN`T EVEN REMOTELY DONE AS MUCH FOR METAL AS SLAYER. But since you sound so sure about your review I`ll tell what the deal is. Why don`t you form your own band, redefine the genre you play, stay strong for your convictions for 25 years and then we can all discuss how many classics you recorded, about you reputation and your contributions to music?
    I love you.
    tremonty_slayer
    Damn! Who the guy of the 2nd review is? Cause I`m sure as hell he doesn`t know sh*t about thrash or metal. He even has the nerve to claim that anybody can do what Slayer has in the past 2 decades. Well let me be the first to tell you. NO ONE HASN`T EVEN REMOTELY DONE AS MUCH FOR METAL AS SLAYER. But since you sound so sure about your review I`ll tell what the deal is. Why don`t you form your own band, redefine the genre you play, stay strong for your convictions for 25 years and then we can all discuss how many classics you recorded, about you reputation and your contributions to music?
    GiantRaven
    'because you called it ****ing imatture, he can do what he wants, and how is voicing your opinoin immature?' There are plenty of less volatile and less offensive ways of showing your opinion than writing lyrics that are meant to be volatile and offensive. Is there really any need whatsoever to inspire that kind of hate towards anyone? He could just say 'I don't like religion' and be done with it, that's what I do. But no, he has to use his so-called hate to write lyrics which are just plain needless. If thats not immature, I don't know what is. I'm sure i'm being quite immature in the way i'm voicing my opinion just as much as he is. We both have the rights to voice our own opinions, Kerry King voicing his about his hate towards christianity and me towards him for the way he voices it. Whats the big problem with that? Hell, I don't know why i'm bothereing to write all this out... Meh =P
    GiantRaven
    'Actually, B# is the same note as C, and in sheet music certain keys have notes written as B# and E#, and Cb and Fb for that matter, since it is customary for there not to be the same letter twice in any key. And to mexichris, B# is the same pitch as C.' I was not aware of that, thank you for telling me
    iAmVincent
    oh, and i thought i'd comment on all the arguing. i think the pro-slayer and anti-slayer peeps both lose for caring so much about a band that they will write essays defending/bashing it. seriously, find something better to do like, i don't know, play an instrument? sheesh
    metal_man12
    ROCK.ON wrote: I'm sure the music is great....altho im dissapointed that they decieded to offend people and their religion just to sell more albums..
    lmfao...
    iAmVincent
    GiantRaven wrote: ROFL at this discussion First off, there is no B# note XD your guitar neck: A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# No B# =O I thought this was a guitar site *rolls eyes*
    Actually, B# is the same note as C, and in sheet music certain keys have notes written as B# and E#, and Cb and Fb for that matter, since it is customary for there not to be the same letter twice in any key. And to mexichris, B# is the same pitch as C.
    IlikeMetal
    |
    sikejsudjek : Why don't they call it Mohammad Illusion ? Because they have no balls, far easier to offend Christians. Bunch of wussies really, music is crap too...
    Now this is just a guess on my part, but I believe the reason is because Mohammead was an actual person who really existed while the existance of Christ is still debated and acurte information on him is not readily availible. However the Muslims do acknowledge Jesus existance. O, and orangepick, the christian god and allah are the same person/deity. Therefore you would blaspheming against your god. jsyk
    orangepick
    why yous guys gotta be slammin on jesus fo? i mean all he did was make alot of fish and change water to whine sounds like a great guy to have at a party i say we **** around with allah since they are the ones blowin themselves up all around the world anyone with me?
    IbanezxXx
    GiantRaven : What reason does he have to hate organised religion then? And why should I shut up? Kerry King gets to voice his opinions on the things he doesn't like, why can't I? Honestly... because you called it ****ing imatture, he can do what he wants, and how is voicing your opinoin immature?
    Gas Mask
    anthony19 wrote: well i don't like an albulm thats bad for the lord jesus christ it will not last long in the name of jesus christ the band will split and the album go down for the sortest reining album maybe in history divided from god you fall but with him you live forever
    After reading this it took me quite a while to come up with a response because I was laughing so hard. Your telling me Jesus is gonna strike down Slayer and all the heathen non-believers that don't agree with every word he says? But Jesus is gonna let all the priests who stick their hands down altar boy's pants, and the churches that harbor run along free. If you ask me those are the bad people, not ****ing Slayer. Another thing if you counted up the number of people killed in the name of the lord, and compare it to the number of people killed in the name of Satan, I think Jesus wins. So you keep on trucking on your self-righteous crusade to burn witches and cleanse the world of evil when its really sitting right under your nose. And when the preacher bends you over, just smile and know you'll sit with God in Heaven.
    GiantRaven
    What reason does he have to hate organised religion then? And why should I shut up? Kerry King gets to voice his opinions on the things he doesn't like, why can't I? Honestly...
    recliner33
    The closest to death metal that the second reviewer has ever heard before listening to slayers album was the eagles of death metal.
    dez_cole
    Ughh sorry for the tripple post it did it again. I bet if Jesus came back and said he has no problem with slayer and actually enjoys some of their music every single person against slayer would stop bashing them and state how much you enjoy the album. That's one reason Kerry King is against organized religion, almost all organized religion followers will alter there opinions and views for there faith, will defend there faith, and not all but a lot try to get everyone around them to do the same as them for god. Also religion is the cause of almost every single war in history. The main reason I am not religious is every religion that has a god states, if you don?t believe in our religion, accept it, and live by it, even if you are the best person in the world you go to hell. Anyway... this album is great. Its slayer, either you love them or hate them.
    Modernmusich8er
    Listen, I'm a diehard Christian, and I'm a Slayer fan. I respect King's opinion and I don't let the lyrics bother me. My advice: Don't let these lyrics get to your head, regardless of your views, I've seen videos where King and Hanneman say that alot of the lyrics are for shock value. And just for the people who don't know, I'm pretty sure that they (Slayer) use a method of holding a mirror up to society (figurately) and write about it. In summation, if you get offended by this than just keep your views to yourself and enjoy yourself.
    HybridCacaphony
    bands like In Flames or Children of Bodom, where there's a little more going on musically and the guitars are a little more diverse. I was not aware that Slayer's music was so boring. But I want to share my opinion of the album for people who are in the same boat as me. Thanks.
    chadwhitney
    Bottom line: the new Slayer album is okay at best. I'm not impressed all that much. We wait 5 years and this is what we get! The guitar solos sound exactly the same as the one's from Divine Intervention, Diabolus, and GHUA. Besides, it's kind of corny for a bunch of older guys to be still singing about Satan... it's not 1986 anymore, and Tom Araya is like 46 already.
    AngryGuitarist
    Yeah i also agreed with hybridcacaphony on how he said in his review that the song cult was just a cry for notice, I also agree that the anti-religious and anti-government is wearing out...people need to start new lyrics, something that can be brutal, and not Droning about "ahh i hate christians, god is gay etc etc". I really do enjoy slayers "reigning blood" but after that i just cant get over kerry king drop tuning his guitar to a fricken drop A flat playing the same structured powerchoards over and over while later he takes a normal pentatonic based scale and calls that a solo. yes, it does get very annoying, If you want real talent without the offensive lyrics you should check out inflames, and scar symmetry and a new band called silent civilian. that is it, Peace.
    iAmVincent
    AngryGuitarist wrote: no Hybridcacaphony is awesome & if you dnt like him then leave!
    you sound like the slayer fans bashing hybrid...
    iAmVincent
    hybridcacaphony is right, he is allowed to write a review on an album he listened to, whether the review be positive or negative. after all, it's just his opinion. i personally thought the album was pretty good, but that doesn't mean i need to talk shit about this guy for having a different opinion than me. and many of you sound like hypocrites telling hybrid that 'slayer can say whatever the **** they want, but you can't'. another thing, what would be the purpose of having all positive reviews and comments for this album? to boost your egos?! seriously, a lot of you need to get over yourselves and realize that people are allowed to have an opinion that is different than your own. the world would be pretty lame if everyone thought exactly alike
    jesussowns
    As much as i like Slayer,and Tom Araya and all that....HybridCacaphony,you're review ****in owned. It was perfectly critical without being too insulting,and it was very insightful. I havent actually heard the album yet,but ive heard its pretty good. I shall listen with your review in mind. Cheers!
    HybridCacaphony
    part time during the summer, and I don't breast feed. Hope I cleared that up.
    if i knew where you lived, I would spit in your mouth while you slept you dog d&%k sucking motherf$#@^r.
    Good thing you don't then, huh? Also, I hope you know with every passing word, you seem even less intelligent.
    I hate arogant people like you who can't do anything themselves but trash on people that do.
    I don't have any desire to do what Slayer does, but I could, since it's really not all that complicated. And I trashed on them, because that's what their album was- trash.
    Why don't you go to one of there shows, go backstage, and tell them what you said in the review in person. Oh, thats right, you're a pussy.
    I would actually LOVE to tell them I think they suck. I'd do it right to their face if I could. Because they're just regular people. I have no reason to be afraid of them. I would jump at the opportunity.
    And you want to talk about intelligence, half of your review was spelled wrong you worthless hypocrite.
    Have you read the rambling, unpunctuated, drivel you wrote? I'm not sure you even know how to spell. And I'm not sure you wrote all of this without help. You can talk to me about intelligence when every other word isn't an insult, but rather some form of educated argument.
    And you want to rag on them for doing some music that sounds like what they did before, hey dumbass, it's metal, half the stuff out there isnt original but it still sounds good and gets your blood flowing. That's what matters most in this genre of music, the ability to get the crowd moving, so we can forget the crap going on in our lives for just a little bit, and have a good time.
    That's respectable, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you enjoy it, fine. I didn't write the review to change your opinion. The review reflects my opinion of their music. I feel that from a musical perspective, the album is sorely lacking, and does not deliver anything all that special. If you love it, fine. I'm not saying you shouldn't. But I did not enjoy that album musically. I felt it was trash. I think you're missing the point of an ALBUM REVIEW.
    And do you really think that when any of us metal fans listen to lyrics, that we are worried about the meaning or what the hell they are saying, most of the time we cant understand it anyway but it doesn't matter, i just want to bang my head around as much as possible.
    Okay, see that's YOU. I didn't write this review only for YOU. See, some people who are not YOU, do care about lyrics. Some people's listening experience is actually affected one way or another by the content of what the singer is saying. Otherwise, Ultimate Guitar wouldn't have put a LYRICS section in. I reviewed the lyrics because they are on the ALBUM which I was REVIEWING and they fit in the LYRICS REVIEW section. Does that make sense? I'm not sure I can really break it down any more. Try not to be so egotistical. It's not all about you.
    But, in the end, you should realize that every musician deserves the respect from all of us for doing what they do and making our lives just a little better
    I disagree. Some musicians don't deserve respect. Some musicians are talentless. I'm sure you don't respect Ashlee Simpson as a musician. Well, to me Slayer has just turned out something in that vein. And to be honest, this album made me not respect them.
    and reviewers like you, i hope you get raped in an alley by five german skinheads named Hans who give you a Dirty Sanchez when they're done.
    That last part just makes you sound like an idiot.
    There is a lot more i would like to say, but unlike this guy, i have better things to do with my time than rag on someone who is better than me, your review just pissed me off enough to have to say something back.
    Don't lie, you ran out of steam... And there wasn't a need to say anything back. You didn't convince me to change my mind, and my opinion about the album still stands. For some reason, you and a myriad of other people are taking this personally.
    Eat s&*t and die you self righteous bastard, it's just music.
    And this is just a review. I didn't go and kill Slayer, I just said I think their new album is lame. And I think it's really awful music. But again, it's my OPINION, just like the review. The funniest thing is that the same people who say "Slayer can say whatever they want! It's their opinion!" are the same ones writing all of these negative responses. I don't like the album. And I'm allowed to write a negative review. I'm not going to say "hey, this album isn't so good, but it's not bad either," when I sincerely think that it's a waste of time. Grow up people. Seriously. It's an album. If you like Slayer fine. I don't like this album. I don't like Slayer now either. Truth be told, I listen to quite a broad range of stuff, but I'm more of a fan of b
    recliner33
    Chop_Suey92 wrote: Alright, Im pissed at the guy who wrote the second review. Obviously, he has no idea that Tom Araya is A CATHOLIC!!! He/She/It has no idea that Kerry is the one that wrote most of the lyrics! Tom only wrote Eyes of the Insane you dumb faggot!!! YOU DONT DESERVE TO WRITE A SLAYER REVIEW!!!!! Besides, youve probably never heard any other Slayer album! Listen to Reign in Blood, and then say Slayer sucks!!!! Signed, A Pissed off Kid!!
    South of heaven and seasons of the abyss are way better albums in my opinion. The music is ruined in reign in blood due to arraya screaming over all the cool parts, but songs like criminally insane, angel in death and raining blood kick ass though, but the rest is not as memorable. The guy that wrote the second review seemed to know jack shit about slayer or metal in general, he should go back to listening to his coldplay and Asia.
    HybridCacaphony
    Chop_Suey92 wrote: Alright, Im pissed at the guy who wrote the second review. Obviously, he has no idea that Tom Araya is A CATHOLIC!!! He/She/It has no idea that Kerry is the one that wrote most of the lyrics! Tom only wrote Eyes of the Insane you dumb faggot!!! YOU DONT DESERVE TO WRITE A SLAYER REVIEW!!!!! Besides, youve probably never heard any other Slayer album! Listen to Reign in Blood, and then say Slayer sucks!!!! Signed, A Pissed off Kid!!
    I said in the beginning I walked into this objectively. I haven't listened to Slayer beyond songs like Reign in Blood or Angel of Death, because I never found them interesting. So imagine my surprise when I hear a song like that which is at least halfway decent and then I hear the songs on Christ Illusion. Quite a difference. But one or two good songs doesn't mean they're amazing. And I can write a Slayer review if I want. With all the noise people make about them, my first venture into them was garbage. And I don't plan on listening to any more. As for Kerry King writing all the lyrics or whatever, please understand, I don't care about Slayer. They're really nothing all that special to me. I wasn't about to sit down and do a month's worth of research to put up a review that said- hey, this album sucks. They can say whatever they want, it doesn't affect me in any way- it never has. I know they like to offend people, and I know it's always been anti-Christian stuff for the most part. So since I had no idea who wrote the lyrics, I just assumed the singer did, since I knew he wrote Eyes of the Insane. My mistake. But again, it's really not that big of a deal- just put Kerry King's name where it belongs when you read the review. In the end, I felt that the singer's voice was just abbrasive and took away from the overall quality of the songs (which was not the case in any of the Slayer songs I was previously familiar with). Yeah, and about Tom Araya being a Catholic. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do the things he's been doing (you know, like openly denouncing his religion- regardless of who write the lyrics he's singing) I'll be honest, I thought this might be a decent album- but it wasn't. I really, sincerely thought it was garbage.
    I bet if Jesus came back and said he has no problem with slayer and actually enjoys some of their music every single person against slayer would stop bashing them and state how much you enjoy the album. That's one reason Kerry King is against organized religion, almost all organized religion followers will alter there opinions and views for there faith, will defend there faith, and not all but a lot try to get everyone around them to do the same as them for god. Also religion is the cause of almost every single war in history. The main reason I am not religious is every religion that has a god states, if you don?t believe in our religion, accept it, and live by it, even if you are the best person in the world you go to hell.
    Actually, Christianity doesn't specify that you go to hell. But all that aside, if Jesus (who Christians FOLLOW, and Slayer constantly attacks) came back and said that, yeah, people probably would tone it down. But then again, if He came back, people probably would be really annoyed with Slayer, since all this time they've been up there saying He doesn't exist.
    gonzorules : HybridCacaphony needs to take a serious look in the mirror, and ask "why am i such a worthless piece of s*#t".
    Okay... why are you such a worthless piece of shit?
    I'll be honest, i havent listened to the album and have never been into slayer that much, i love all types of music from death metal to rock to soft rock to pop to hootie and the blowfish, good music is good music no matter what form it is in.
    Then you're gonna hate this album.
    But all I read in this review was a bunch of piss-ant, whiny, stupid remarks about a band that has lasted longer than most of there fans have been alive. why don't you give them credit and respect for that you f*&!@n p*#$k
    Just because they're ancient doesn't mean they deserve respect. And for the amount of respect they show others, they don't really deserve it.
    If you pathetic ass had even half of there skill, you sure as hell wouldn't be writing reviews on an internet tab site.
    I definitely have more than half their skill, but I just play recreationally. I'm not looking to be a guitarist for a living. I just like to play for fun. But you're write, if I had any more skill, I probably wouldn't be writing a review on an internet tab site... I'd probably be on stage telling people I think Slayer sucks. Alas, I just wrote this for fun. Too bad you're so super-sensitive. [/quote] [/quote]you're probably just mad that you still live in your parents basement, eat top ramen all day, work at Joe's bbq pit, tire center, and hair salon, and still breast feed you piece of s*#t. [/quote] Actually, I'm 19, I go to college and work for an engineering company par
    tw17ch35
    Does anyone else feel that this is sort of an abuse of freedom of speech? Slayer are four guys born in a country where they can get away with what they do, so they behave like spoiled child and abuse this priveledge. It's sad when one of the biggest metal acts of all time stoops this low to try to sell an album. It's kinda like their way of selling out. These lyrics are just a weak composition of the most religiously offensive lyrics King could think of. Maybe it's because he lacks the ability to make people think. Wanting people crucified because they have religion? It's like they're trying to prove that they're "metal" or something. The whole album seems pathetic to me. They could have done so much better. This is by far the shittiest shit that Slayer has ever shat.
    iAmVincent
    hey i have an grand idea, instead of having people who don't like the cd write reviews and leave comments, let's only let the people who like slayer and the cd leave reviews and comments so that everyone on this page can get an ego boost!
    Echoes_Man
    War Ensemble > All the songs on this album, but thats only my opinion. And yes, I'm only referring to that one song.
    IbanezxXx
    GiantRaven hes not immature, hes passionate in his hatred for the religon, if u don't like it don't listen so, every1 who doesn't like the CD don't buy it and don't leave a comment, u just wanna start an argument expressing ur lack of intelligence
    justin43091
    Personally, i dont like this kind of metal. But, im not gonna trash em. they can spread their hatred towards religion all they want. its sort of like green day, sending a message about george bush. but, i hate george bush too, so it works out. im not religious, but i have nothing against those who are. theyre like any other band. theyre expressing what they want to.
    IbanezxXx
    i was talking to GiantRaven, on my last post, but shanerdoo its not a gimmick, they do what they want,Kerry writes the lyrics cuz thats how he feels and Tom sings em cuz he knows they're just words
    AngryGuitarist
    I'm sorry...but why do people keep saying that kerry king is a christian, theres no way. read all of slayers lyrics read them all and you tell me that he's christian... on another note.. i saw this album in best buy today, i was thinkin about buyin it but i got silent civilian instead, they are great lol
    GiantRaven
    ROFL at this discussion First off, there is no B# note XD your guitar neck: A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# No B# =O I thought this was a guitar site *rolls eyes* Anyway, Slayer to me, are bland and uninspired. I really don't like bands that outright try to shock you...mosts bands i've heard that are like that sound like garbage to me An album of the same song over and over again tends to be a pile of worthless crap that never feel worth listening to HybridCacaphony, if I was female i'd have your babies...that review was scathingly hilarious and I agree with a lot of the things you said. I'm no christian but I don't see the point in being angry and hating religion and I certainly don't see the need in writing songs to try and offend the followers of the certain religions. It's ****ing immature
    IbanezxXx
    stfu they can do what they want, im sure you've never bothered to see it Kerry King's way, listen the songs, and maybe even you would think he has a good point, ridding the world of self-delusion, and even if you don't agree their not without good reason for what they do, so shut up and respect them you dumbass
    tormentedbyu
    i liked a comment from earlier, i'm not pissed off that theyre voicing their opinion, it just pisses me off that they have to be so disrespectful to others beliefs... i honestly dont like anyone that says that theyre a christian and that satan "embodies himself in songs or lyrics" satan has not been embodied in these lyrics, its just the pure hatred of christianity from some ass-hole that happens to be a good guitarist that has horrible stereotypes about christians, i CANNOT respect theyre opinion, because they have no respect for MY beliefs obviously
    AmericanJihad
    but then again all of these reviews are pointless, if some has made up their mind to buy the album then I doubt these reviews will sway anyone away from it or draw anyone to it. Inevitably people will love something and people will hate it, and if they arent weak minded then their opionions wont be changed from two reviews.
    AmericanJihad
    also the second review is obviously religiously bias against the lyrics and slayer and therefor his review is completly unhelpful to those looking to buy the album.
    a drummer
    the second guy who reveiwed this is an idiot, though ill agree that tom ruin the songs with his terrible singing, but the lyrics for most of the songs are all written by Kerry King
    Rattlehead.90
    I listened to this album on their myspace. It was a good listen. Sure, it was repetitive, but that formula works for Slayer. Supremist impressed me the most - i liked it alot.
    Nuums
    iAmVincent wrote: lol, that second review was pretty funny, the guy makes a few good points, but he shouldn't trash araya so much since king writes most of the lyrics
    agree, give araya a break, blame king do they use 7-strings? or is it just B-standard tuning or drop b?
    littleleo88
    i do not like this album. older stuff is far better. i certainly agree with the second review. slayer have had their day - like metallica
    iAmVincent
    lol, that second review was pretty funny, the guy makes a few good points, but he shouldn't trash araya so much since king writes most of the lyrics