Christ Illusion review by Slayer

• Released: Aug 8, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Slayer: Christ Illusion

First off, I've been looking forward to this release for quite some time, especially knowing that dave lombardo would be on this. The sound on this CD is like they picked up from where seasons in the abyss left off as far as the energy and the way it attacks right from the first note. I didn't care for the opening to Jihad or Eyes Of The Insane, probably the 2 weakest songs here but the rest seem to get better and getter every time I listen.

For the lyrics it's typical Slayer so I'm not going to give it a high mark because it's basicly the same subject matter that they've written about for the last 23 years. Although the lyrics to jihad give you the perspective of the terrorists on 9/11 which I find to be kinda disrespectful to all the people that died on that tragic day, but nonetheless I don't hold it against them because it's Slayer and that's what they do.

This is a great CD. like I said, with the exception of Jihad and Eyes Of The Insane, This is the best Slayer release overall since seasons. They have proven that truly age does not matter and I hope they kick ass for another 25 years. And for all the people out there that are bashing this CD, go home to your mom and dads house and stick to your Avenged Sevenfold!

B.C. Rich Fan
    i think this album rules!!! especielly catatonic. that song is rright up there with raining blood and postmortem.
    OMFGITSDANIEL
    i have to say the album was horrible... not because of the style of music(these guys are the best at what they do) but because of the complete lack of artistic expression. ok, i get it. slayer hates jesus. and...? also, the music apart from the drums is seriously lacking.
    Guitar_gOdd
    esp1988 wrote: Awesome.would be unfair to expect another reign in blood but still good.
    Thats true, most people compare bands newest album or release to their standout ones, i.e. master of puppets or reign in blood, so take the album for what it is not what another album was, anyway, i think this album kicks ass!!
    Empo
    Songs sound cool, artwork is creepy = NICE album not awesome... Ok, it is awesome album becuse its Slayer
    smashin_pumpkin
    all i know is this album is awesome! even after 24 years they're still dishing out great stuff and stirring up controversy seriously if ur offended by this album u shld probably go out and buy a nice green day album to send u off to sleep seeing slayer 19th november - brixton fukin be there
    Mark-O1987666
    Lol I've not listened to this album, and I don't think I'll be buying it, although a huge fan of Slayer. The really long review was quite funny to read, although deffinately written by someone who really dislikes Slayer. I've heard Cult and Flesh Storm, outof the two Flesh Storm is the best, all the guitar solos sound like they've been lifted out of Angel of Death though, since Kerry has been 'learning' how to play guitar properly recently I was hoping for a more intelligent approach to shredding, Dimebag could do it so it is possible! I'd also like to add I am really disappointed with the extremely childish lyric " I've made my choice, 666!?. Still love Slayer though, but I won't be thrashing out to any of their new stuff at their gig soon :p Mark-O
    tormentedbyu
    AmericanJihad wrote: also the second review is obviously religiously bias against the lyrics and slayer and therefor his review is completly unhelpful to those looking to buy the album.
    ..... ~.~ the album is obviously biased against christians... it doesnt give any of them a chance... that was a stupid comment
    ilovemyepi
    Down wrote: HybridCacphony, why even bother reviewing this CD if you clearly don't like Slayer or know anything about them? Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman write most of the songs and Tom Araya IS Catholic. As well, Tom Araya is one of the defining features of Slayer so if you don't like his singing, you might as well go listen to some other band.
    reviewing albums isn't just for the good ones. you don't see magazine reviewers saying "oh, i'm not gonna review that, its bad"
    SixOneCyx
    slayerific wrote: HybridCacaphony, your review was not very slayerific
    Hahaha! . .Best post on this page. I registered just to say that.
    Down
    HybridCacaphony
    darkseason
    The new album is the same old rehashed shit they've been putting out for years. Any one of these song could've been on seasons in the abyss or god hates us all -and no one would know the difference. Slayer talks the talk, but they don't walk the walk when it comes to doing something new or different. They trash new bands for all sounding the same and being unoriginal, then they put out this album that sounds like everything they've done before. I think the album is a snooze. It's all been downhill since War Ensemble.
    ilovemyepi
    oh, i didn't know that Kerry wrote some of the lyrics, but that's still totally past the point of the review. the lyrics are bad.
    Chop_Suey92
    iAmVincent wrote: hybridcacaphony is right, he is allowed to write a review on an album he listened to, whether the review be positive or negative. after all, it's just his opinion. i personally thought the album was pretty good, but that doesn't mean i need to talk shit about this guy for having a different opinion than me. and many of you sound like hypocrites telling hybrid that 'slayer can say whatever the **** they want, but you can't'. another thing, what would be the purpose of having all positive reviews and comments for this album? to boost your egos?! seriously, a lot of you need to get over yourselves and realize that people are allowed to have an opinion that is different than your own. the world would be pretty lame if everyone thought exactly alike
    You know what? Im gonna come out and be a man and say that this guy does have a point. But one of the main reasons that theyre bashing Hybrid,was because he had alot of his facts messed up, such as Tom Araya writing the lyrics. Everyone knows Kerry write all of the Satan stuff.
    str8savage
    This is in response to HybridCacaphony's review... First of all, Araya doesn't write the ****in lyrics, you dumbass. King does. I could honestly give a **** less if you like the record or not. That's your own opinion and that's cool. But at least get your ****in facts straight before you go off on another moronic tangent like you did about Araya which cleary has no basis since he's not the one writing the lyrics. Do your ****in homework next time and maybe try using half a brain before you go off ranting in another review and ending up making yourself look like a complete dumb****. You're a ****in ignorant, uneducated tool. Go crank up your P.O.D. and Creed or whatever Jesus rock you listen to and stop displaying to the world your complete ignorance and lack of intelligence by attempting to review Slayer. Eat a dick, bitch. And go **** yourself.
    Chop_Suey92
    recliner33 wrote: Chop_Suey92 wrote: Alright, Im pissed at the guy who wrote the second review. Obviously, he has no idea that Tom Araya is A CATHOLIC!!! He/She/It has no idea that Kerry is the one that wrote most of the lyrics! Tom only wrote Eyes of the Insane you dumb faggot!!! YOU DONT DESERVE TO WRITE A SLAYER REVIEW!!!!! Besides, youve probably never heard any other Slayer album! Listen to Reign in Blood, and then say Slayer sucks!!!! Signed, A Pissed off Kid!! South of heaven and seasons of the abyss are way better albums in my opinion. The music is ruined in reign in blood due to arraya screaming over all the cool parts, but songs like criminally insane, angel in death and raining blood kick ass though, but the rest is not as memorable. The guy that wrote the second review seemed to know jack shit about slayer or metal in general, he should go back to listening to his coldplay and Asia.
    Haha. Yeah, South of Heaven is a good album, almost forgot it. In my opinion Reign in Blood is a totally good album, and I think that every song is a master peice, but thats just me!
    unhuman elastic
    HybridCacaphony is a douche Kerry King wrote most of the lyrics for this album as well as the last. Granted this isnt slayer's best album, but at least its nowhere near as shitty as load, reload or st. anger
    recliner33
    Modernmusich8er wrote: Listen, I'm a diehard Christian, and I'm a Slayer fan. I respect King's opinion and I don't let the lyrics bother me. My advice: Don't let these lyrics get to your head, regardless of your views, I've seen videos where King and Hanneman say that alot of the lyrics are for shock value. And just for the people who don't know, I'm pretty sure that they (Slayer) use a method of holding a mirror up to society (figurately) and write about it. In summation, if you get offended by this than just keep your views to yourself and enjoy yourself.
    I completly agree with you. People get too bothered by lyrics these days, it's just words people.
    HybridCacaphony wrote: MHanky : Hybrid Cacaphony needs to shut the **** up and stop defending every little comment that is made negatively towards him. No one cares dude, and you doing this is just going to piss more people off. But I do have one question, if you don't like SLayer, or aren't even interested in them, why did you write a review on the album? Do u do this with every band, or just ones you hate? Haha, this is the first review I wrote for Ultimate Guitar. And needless to say I'm a little surprised by the reaction, cuz I haven't seen these responses on other album reviews that I've read. Who knew?
    It's cause slayer fans take their music seriously, a little too seriously at times. I like to listen to slayer when I'm sitting around having a few cold ones, but by the sounds of it, other people listen to slayer while sitting in their dungeon with their red velvet robe on with a burning cross in their hands chanting "Thy holy king, Thy holy King" while the wall behind them is dripping in blood that reads 666. To me, if songs are about puppy dogs and red tricycles or satan and the apocolypse, at the end of the day it's just music.
    theguitarist
    Grr. NO FLAMING. NO DISCUSSION ON RELIGION. NO SPAM. [u]You will be warned if you do not follow these rules. And that means no flaming of the reviewers for having an opinion. You can have a differing view to the reviewers but do not resort to insults. A truckload of warnings have been handed out, I've lost count. Checked/Deletorated.
    MexiChriS
    i think someone needs to tab the new songs in PowerTab format....yeah someone should get on that. haha :]
    James Brown
    mellowyellow729 wrote: why are there the alternate covers for it?
    The white one is just a slide off cover thing.. you take it off and the jesus one's inside