Christ Illusion review by Slayer

• Released: Aug 8, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Slayer: Christ Illusion

Well in 2003, Iron Maiden and Metallica had their little comeback albums. Judas Priest released one last year and then Slayer felt like releasing their comeback album as well. These guys are one of the pioneers of metal and it is hard to give them negative feedback, but after hearing this album, I think it deserves some. First of all, Kerry and Jeff should get a reward fro writing the same riffs over and over again. They tried so hard to mimic Season Of The Abyss on this album. It really shows with the song construction. Second, production quality is horrible, in some songs I can't even hear what Tom is saying. Not that you would want to anyway because he is horrible. I am a huge Slayer fan and I don't think this is true "Slayer sound."

Lyrics, way worst than the sound. These guys lacked originality lyrically as well. Sceaming "666" isn't very creative in my opinion. I think they were trying to stir up some controversy with their choice of lyrics. Tom Araya has to be one of the worst metal singers I've ever heard in my life. He has no range, no talent, and no songwriting skills. This album is in my view, a lyrical joke.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Slayer fan. They wrote some metal classics: Raining Blood, Angel of Death, Dead Skin Mask, etc. I think this is a disgrace to Slayer and their fans. The only songs I liked on this album are "Cult" and "Jihad" the rest sounded just previous songs they have recorded. Only a diehard Slayer fan should buy this. Don't buy it out of impulse or you will be disappointed. Bad concept, sound, and songriting. I wish I wouldn't have bought this. If you are new to Slayer, I suggest you check out any of their albums that were released before 1990. Their new stuff just disappoints me.

ready4thebreak
    this and all their is sloppy as hell. to me being fast is actually being able to keep the phuck up. this phucking slopfest is again uninspring and it has to be a ****ing joke. Considering how there is such a LARGE multitude of dumb-phuck stoners and "goths" and "satanist" who "believe" this bullshit they churn from their anal crevies. It doesnt make any sense how you hate everyone/thing when there's a massive number of dumb-phucks who believe the same shit they do. And also it makes no sense to say im going for the opposite team of something I dont believe in or doesnt exsist.
    F*cking Hostile
    HybridCacaphony : p.s. oh and no thats not true about tom singing and it being his lyrics....if you think that, then your just dumb and you need musical help. haha =P Here's the bottom line. Tom Araya is the person standing at the microphone. It doesn't matter if he wrote the lyrics or not, HE'S SINGING THEM. And if he's Catholic or he doesn't agree with it, he wouldn't sing it. He could easily tell King to step aside and at least make the lyrics more intelligent. You can only say "F*** this", and "f*** that" so many times. So ripping on Araya or King doesn't matter. That's the same as saying even though Araya shot someone, it's King's gun. To say Araya doesn't participate in writing any of those particular brand of lyrics is ludicrous. He's just as guilty as King of producing hateful, disrespectful garbage. You are supporting bigotry by supporting them. Freedom of speech may have not its limits, but the lines of good taste and human decency have been drawn long before Slayer crossed them. Oh, and have you listened to Christ Illusion? Slayer needs some serious musical help. so all and all, both slayer and non-slayer fans are ****ing dicks, so drop this shit. so just ****ing drop all the bullshit already. because yes the album is really bad and has a strong attack on things. but who gives a ****, this shit is bound to happen. so all you shit talking, christian or not just drop it, you dont like it then go bitch about it somewhere else. As a part of the album, lyrics are subject to review. People have the right to display their views on the quality (or lack there of) of the lyrics, as well as the music, as a means of helping others to decide wether or not they wish to purchase the album. So please save your comments which are pretty much invalid. HybridCacophony,you're definately the biggest douche i've seen on here...i bet you listen to nickelback or some gay f*ckin sh*t like that eh??you f*ckin cocksuckin little bitch...who the f*ck bashes Slayer like that?The one true thrash band that never sold out...At least they never released mainstream garbage albums like Metallica...they always kept doin their own thing, shreddin it up through all the years and that's pretty admirable...so f*ck you bitch,go listen to your f*ckin fairy music,while you take it up the ass.
    southern_stylin
    I just love the fact that all the pansy-assed "christians" seem too get pretty riled up about this shite. What do you think normal, grounded in reality types feel like when you spew your constant god rhetoric?
    Y00p
    I say, without having read all the comments, this album sucks. Mr. HybridCacaphony and Mr. ilovemyepi, IMO, are completely right. In fact, HybridCacaphony wrote one of the best reviews I ever read over here; people should take note of this and use it as a guide for their own review, instead of just jumping the wagon and praising Slayer 'cause Slayer. The album sucks, deal with it. Every goddamned on this freaking album is either out of tune, not on the beat, completely unemotional shredding (Well, not even that, seems like they're just hitting random notes over and over again, not even hitting them all); or all of the above, on at least 2 tracks. I felt, at one point, that I was listening to the shitty band that rehearses near my hanging-out spot in terms of musicality. Don't get me wrong, I like (Or used to like) Slayer a lot, me and my band even do a decent AoD cover, but King and Hanneman just lost it at this point. It's rubbish, don't buy it. Seriously.
    SHREDDzilla
    I JUS CANT UNDERSTAND WHY PEPOLE HAVE SO MUCH PROBLEM WHEN IT COMES TO SLAYER....EVERY OTHER DEATH METAL OR THRASH BAND HAVE LYRICS ABOUT SATAN N STUFF...N SOMEHOW ONLY SLAYER SUCK COS THEY ALSO HAVE LYRICS LIKE THAT??? IMO..THIS IS A DECENT ALBUM..NOT ONE OF THEIR BEST..BUT STILL KICKASS... HOW CAN U B A METAL FAN N NOT LIKE TRACKS LIKE FLESH STORM...EYES OF THE INSANE...JIHAD...CULT...N BTW .. DID 1 OF THE REVIEWER ABOVE COMMENT THAT SLAYER HAVE WRITTEN FRM A SOLDIER'S POINT OF VIEW 'EYES OF THE INSANE' JUS COS EVERYONE ELSE IS DOIN IT??? OK SERIOUSLY I CAN SEE U DON LIKE SLAYER...I'M SURE...U DONT EVEN LIKE REIGN IN BLOOD OR SEASONS IN THE ABYSS..REALLY IF U LIKE SLAYER...U'LL LIKE THIS ALBUM..SLAYER IS LIKE...U EITHER LOVE 'EM...OR U HATE 'EM...N YA ABOUT "THEM BEIN POSERS .. COS TOM'S CATHOLIC..BUT THEY STILL WRITE SATANIC SHIT" TOPIC...U CANT SERIOUSLY BELIEVE THAT THEY LIVE ACCORDING TO WAT THEY SAY?? I MEAN COME ON...HAVE U HEARD THE BAND ACHERON?? THEY HAVE A VOCALIST WHO IS A PRIEST...N JUS CHECK OUT THEIR LYRICS....HAVE U HEARD VEHEMENCE?? THEIR VOCALIST IS LORD KRISHNA'S FOLLOWER..THATS HOW EVERYONE IS...SO WHY ONLY SLAYER IS FLAMED?? I ENJOY THIS ALBUM..AS MUCH AS THEIR OLDER STUFFS
    pirate_shanty
    HybridCacaphony, is the biggest twat ever he has no sense of taste! he is a douche, sure this isnt there atrongest album but theres some damned good tracks on there!! an if u say otherwise.....well **** u, u wanna be. go listen to justin timberlake! slayer are one of the best bands ever an i bet they write better shit than u. BLACK SERENADE KICKS ASS AND I BET IF ARAYA NEW YOU HE'D PUMMEL U U PIECE OF SHIT! HES A GOOD BASS PLAYER!! UR JUS A PILE OF SHIT!! END OF RANT!! ....for now.... Fuckin' Slayer
    LucasGtrGod
    orangepick wrote: why yous guys gotta be slammin on jesus fo? i mean all he did was make alot of fish and change water to whine sounds like a great guy to have at a party i say we **** around with allah since they are the ones blowin themselves up all around the world anyone with me?
    hahahahaha hell yeah
    newman13
    Meh, it's okay. I'm a Slayer fan but this album was a little disappointing. Nothing new with the guitars. It's cool that Dave Lombardo is back. I never gave a rat's a** about their lyrics in the first place so they don't really offend me. Seasons in the Abyss: good album. Christ Illusion: essentially Seasons in the Abyss Part II, and like most sequals it doesn't measure up.