Decade Of Aggression: Live review by Slayer

• Released: Oct 22, 1991
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Slayer: Decade Of Aggression: Live

Decade Of Aggression sums up some of the best songs off of Slayer's older albums, definetely something to give a listen to. However the sound quality on this album is incredibly poor. Every time Kerry King or Jeff Hanneman does a mind blowing solo, it wails and tears at you just for listening at it, it drowns out everything else that's going on in the song. It does seem like that gig was mind-blowing, however if Slayer were going to record a live album they should've got better recording equipment, as even though there are amazing songs on this live album, you can't help but eventually switch it off and just listen to the original song itself. The sound itself was very chunky and off-putting, you can hear easily when King or Hanneman messes up and when they hit the wrong notes, it's no fun whatsoever listening to it.

Slayer have been and still will be one of my favourite bands of all time, but this just wasn't an album they should've made. You can barely hear Araya over the terrible sound quality, and when you can he just seems like he's putting no effort into singing at all. What I've never liked about the lyrics is how Slayer do it all for publicity (which Araya admits in the DVD "Metal: A Headbangers Journey") So I don't like any of the Slayer lyrics as it's all fake. However that doesn't mean that Araya isn't a good performer or that he's not good at making lyrics. I didn't really enjoy listening to Araya off of this album.

The worst possible album to buy from Slayer if you're new to Slayer, it would just put you off them. The best part about the whole album is the introduction before Hell Awaits and the opening 2 minutes to the actual song. After that prepare for nothing good. They ratings aren't what I think of the songs normally, but it's how I felt about the songs being recorded by poor recording equipment. This album hasn't done it for me at all. If you want a really good listen at Slayer at their best, give a listen to the albums Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven, Seasons In The Abyss, God Hates Us All.

chikenpoop666
    this is a great album, and it's all real, no studio effects. Great live band, going to see them at 2009 mayhem festival in toronto