Diabolus In Musica review by Slayer

• Released: Jun 9, 1998
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Slayer: Diabolus In Musica

As I write this review, I am listening to the album on my computer. I bought it, heard it and immediately refunded it and got another cd. As I listen to it, I don't regret doing it. The solos are good, the riffs are good, some good lyrics, but nothing works. 01:33 minutes into it, when the riffs change it just sounds strange. The vocals on many tracks like those in the chorus on 'Skeletons of Society' on the Seasons In The Abyss album are overdone, and just horribly clash. NOT Slayer's best effort.

Well, the lyrics are good on paper. Before the vocals kicked in on Bitter Peace I had a flick through the pages to check it out, and they weren't bad. Don't get me wrong, I love Slayer, but Tom slaughtered those vocals. once again they definatley went the wrong way with the dual vocals thing. lots of tracks on this album are skippable, mainly due to Araya's vocals and the clashing riffs, but that's neither here nor there. Tom's a good singer, and he didn't live up to his potential in sme of thses songs, but some of them were alright.

I suppose it's not that bad, just bad vocals, clashing riffs, and too many slow tracks for a thrash band. If you are looking for a good slayer album to start with or something do not buy this, because it might put you off. Every other slayer album is pretty good (except for south of heaven really and there's something about undisputed attitude I don't really like) so buy reign in blood or divine intervention or just do it the good old fashoined way, starting with show no mercy and ending with christ illusion (or whatever new ones they put out).

not_dead_enough
    WRONG! This album is awesome, among slayer's best I think. Don't get me wrong, I am a slayer fan through-and-through, but for them I think their 80s efforts are overrated and their 90s efforts underrated (still love it all though).
    King ofKumbucha
    Terry Wayne wrote: are you drunk?.....diablous is excellent....you think you can do better?
    This is a tired argument. Just because he can't do better doesn't mean he has to like something.
    bobross
    i havent picked this one up yet, but this cheap review does not inspire me to pass it up. long live fuking slayer
    slaytanic666
    Slayers new album christ illution is probibly the best thanks to there old drummer joining up with them again, and this album Diabolus In Musica is amazing who ever wrote this review does not know slayer at allll.
    mtllica
    I have no desire to get this album, I have all of their studio albums except this
    thegrungyhippie
    Slayer has changed very much. They used to be more thrashy but now they are becoming slower and focusing on the heavy parts of songs. Everyone has their own opinion as to which era they like, lets leave it at that.
    metabolic84
    i LOVE this album! its heavy but it has slowed things down which means the songs can go more places. thrash can be one dimensional at times. this is slayers most accessible album by far.
    GuitarHero_jp
    I think this is a realy good album. Bitter Peace has amazing lyrics and also, not All of your songs have to be 100 miles an hour. It's an amazing Slayer album
    guitarfreak222
    oh... THAT guy wrote: Maiden2 wrote: slayer!!!! has always been teribble, im just bored. sorry guys. go back to jacking off to slayer. no, i think i'll go back to jacking off to your mum.
    EEEEEWWWWW
    sic_riffs
    Diabolus was a weak effort end of story they tried to make Nu Metal sound how they wanted it to sound but it didnt work out
    b.c. warlock926
    Nightstrider
    Good for the reviewer for standing up for his opinion! The entire purpose of writing reviews is to advise someone whether or not they should buy an album. They are supposed to be USEFUL, not mindless fanyboy fellatio. Bad reviews are just as necessary as positive ones, and considering how almost every review on this site is overwhelmingly positive, I think we (and Slayer in particular) are overdue for some critiques. And for the record, I LIKE South of Heaven. But that doesn't mean I'm going to just disregard the guy's review. Remember that people have different opinions from yours, and more importantly, that reviews are subjective.
    guitarfreak222
    SGofawesome
    guitarfreak222 wrote: Guys, chill man. This guy heard the album, he didn't like it so he wrote a review about it. He has his own opinion about this album so quit your bitching. Good review dude, feel sorry for all of this bullshit you've been put through.
    Yea really. A lot of people don't like the album, including me. it just happens he had the balls to give a negative review, unlike you posers who jack you dick off all day to reign in blood and nothing else. Just shut up, good review, although South of Heaven in my opinion is good, but like i said, your opinion.
    SGofawesome
    b.c. warlock926 wrote: heres the order on how good each Slayer album is: 1. Reign In Blood 2. Seasons in the Abyss 3. Show No Mercy 4. Divine Intervention 5. God Hates Us All 6. Hell Awaits 7. South of Heaven 8. Christ Illusion 9. Undisputed Attitude 10.Diabolus In Musica
    Here's mine... 1. Reign In Blood 2. Seasons In The Abyss 3. God Hates Us All 4. Show No Mercy 5. Divine Intervention 6. South Of Heaven 7. Christ Illusion 8. Hell Awaits 9. Diabolus In Musica 10. Undisputed Attitude
    MaddMann274
    Well I kinda liked this album and Screaming From The Sky would be my fav song from this album. :/
    Savage Animal
    Seasons in the Abyss is just as slow, if not slower than South of Heaven. Just listen to Behind The Crooked Cross and Silent Scream if you dont believe me
    k1ng_pooh
    okay, never listen to this album, sont really want to that much either, without lumbardo slayer isnt really slayer. but anyways, south of heaven is awesome metal is not baout how well you can sing, but i think tom did a good job you can hear him and decipher waht hes saying which adds to the songs, listen to the songs for more than a few hours next time and give slayer soem credit, that just my opinion
    stevio
    I lost track of what slayer were doing after Divine Intervention and someone played this album to me about 3mths ago. I reckon its up there among their best. song's like Death's Head, Overt Enemy and Love To Hate show how these guys have aged and so has their music. Yeah its no Reign in Blood, but that was a long time ago and bands change with the times. I agree with the majority, the guy who reviewed this album should listen to some of the s**t that is out there at the moment and then try again
    Abomination
    I haven't listened to this album yet so I can't say how good or bad it is but i agree with the last comment made
    munchielover
    I think the criticism of this album is too much. The album is different from most Slayer records, but it is still a good album. The lyrics for onw are pretty good, not the best from Slayer, but still signs of their ability to write kick ass lurics are there (such as those in Bitter Peace). In terms of changing their style, from fast to a slower style, Slayer executed this transition well. For one certain thing, they made that transition better than Metallica's transition from thrash to modernised metal.
    DaBlackE
    HellAwaits
    HAIL SLAYER, and btw, inna-godda-da-vida cover was ****in sweet. SLAYER will never top Hell Awaits, but nothing they've ever done (except for their punk song covers) is worthy of a rating below a 9. and everything from the 80's and early 90s, plus god hates us all and christ illusion are all worthy of 11's. **** it, everything slayer ever has done is worth a SIX SIX SIX
    oh... THAT guy
    DaBlackE wrote: Will someone write a real review? The fact that he says he didnt like South of Heaven goes to show this guy doesnt know what he's talking about. The only shitty stuff Slayer has done was the In-da-gada-divida cover.
    hold up there, i didn't say i didn't like South of Heaven it's just too slow to be thrash. and it's just my opinion
    oh... THAT guy
    well no its not that i dont believe you, its just that seasons is more thrashy, and south of heaven focuses more on heaviness, and i dont really like tom's vocals on south of heaven like in the beginning for south of heaven, etc. cos it seems like hes speaking and i dont really like it
    MindDecay
    Lol you guys are literally pathetic and take things way to far into consideration. First of all, yes I agree the album is ok that is my opinion. Whatever you guys think is your own. Just because he says this and that doesnt meant you have to go and make whatever he says wrong. He has an opinion you have yours deal with it.
    rifftnstrings
    The only Slayer album I own is Reign In Blood, so please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not impressed by what I've heard.
    The Jamaidian
    WTF? This album is great! Yeah, it's different from their normal stuff, but it's better than Undisputed Attitude, and the vocals are better than anything that came before it. YES. I said the vocals are better than ANYTHING that came before it. Until Undisputed Attitude, Araya didn't really pay attention to the rhythm of the songs he "sang" (yelled), but when they Slayer released Undisputed Attitude, the vocals actually fit the rhythm of the song. The diference between that album, and Diabolus In Musica, is that you can actually understand what Tom is saying, which is always a good hing when it comes to music. Also, the different sound gives it a different vibe, making it more fun and energetic than angry and chaotic. I like all of their stuff, but I think this is one of their bes t efforts. The only records I would put above it are God Hates Us All and Christ Illusion. Yes, I think it's better than Reign In Blood. Don't be all shocked and start cutting yourself, now. Reign In Blood has a few great songs (Angel of Death, Criminally Insane, Raining Blood) but overall, it's dissorganized and doesn'tseem to fit into one whole piece. The uniqueness of Diabolus In Musica gives it an adhesive feel, making the record seem more complete. Lyrics: 10, as always Vocals: 9, Chris Illusion and God Hates Us All are better Music: 10 Rhythm: 10 Impact: 8, not as explosive as some other albums Overall: 9.4 Pretty good!!!
    Maiden2
    what the hell is wrong with you guys. slayer has some good guitar, and drumming. and thats it. what the hell happend to metal? what happend the ozzy and maiden type stuff. its all just screaming and shit. bands now make millions of the same riffs, with the same "satan the leader" crap base. music is gay now. the only metal band worth lisetning to now adays is bls. yet iron maiden still makes ****ing amazing albums.
    dez_cole
    i love this album, its just different, they experimented. If i made 9 albums i would like to change my sound too. You cant just repeat your self time and time again and this album (in my opinion) is great because they do change their sound and have slower stuff instead of playing fast all the time.
    King_Slayer06
    I truly think that this reveiwer should really go back, buy the album, go through it, and really focus on the disk. I'm trying to figure out what this person was expecting. It's really hard for a band to really live up to an album that everyone has claimed to change the face of metal (Reign In Blood). I played in SLAYER tribute bands through my 20 years of playing guitar. I found that this disk is darker and the lyrics are totally different from what they have done. Look at the change between Season's and Divine. I remember when I put Divine in the cd player, slipped the headphones on and jacked it to 10. A tear rolled down my cheek, because it was awesome to hear the production was right on. 213 come on and I must have burned a hole through my disk. Well back to defending this disk. Alot of people buy a disk and play it in the car while they drive. Are you really listening to the cd or concentrating on the road. When I buy a disk I come home put the headphones on and listen to it with 110% attention. If you were expecting something. Listen to it a couple of times you will find little music nuggets in there that will grab you. If the album totally suck you can atleast say you gave it the old college try. Albums from best to worst. 1 Seasons 2. Devine 3. Reign 4.Diablous 5.God 6. South 7. Hell 8. Haunting 9. Show 10. Undisputed. I havn't bought Christ yet. Remember these are all studio albums. What is the sense of rating Live albums , because there best stuff is on there already. Remember when you type SLAYER you must yell it SLAYER SIX6SIX.
    Maiden2
    oh... THAT guy
    no, i think i'll go back to jacking off to your mum.
    Sintera666
    Everyone has an opinion, and I respect all your opinions. But I think that you guys look for too much in Slayer. Personaly, I think every album Slayer has done is awesome. Unfortunately, that excludes Diabolus, I havn't gotten the album yet. I've been a little reluctant to buy it, but now who cares. I like Metallica's Load and Reload and they're supposedly not metal. Well, you know what! They are! They just found a different groove is all! So, same goes to what you guys are saying about this album being less thrashy! What does that even mean!? Go buy this album if you are a real Metal fan!
    oh... THAT guy
    Slaytanic1986 wrote: Due to the fac that you only just got this album to review it, we can assume that you are not a slayer fan, and therefore can just **** off.
    no... i DIDN'T get this album just to review it. I got it because i love slayer, and was dissapointed with it. THEN i decided to share my views with you ****ing closed-minded scum who think that everything slayer is awesome. i reviewed it, and if you don't like it then you review it. If you have even heard it