Eternal Pyre review by Slayer

• Released: Jun 6, 2006

This is Slayer's new single released on 06/06/06 titled Eternal Pyre. It first and only track is a song titled "Cult." So far I think it's better then their past two albums ("Diabolus In Musica" and "God Hates Us All") and sounds more like older Slayer but with a little Bostaph era sound too. "Cult" starts out with a memorable guitar rift and goes into a powerful chord pattern which I think is a great start to a song. The songs 3 solos and guitar work by King and Hanneman are great. The drumming by Dave Lombardo is also great (and I'm happy he's back, slayer were always the best with him). The vocals by Tom Araya are as good as yelling can get and is perfect for this type of music. I love the sound of this single. Also there are two QuickTime videos on the disk; a live performance of "War Ensemble" which sounds great, and behind the scenes video of slayer recording "Cult" in the studio. I give this category a 9 cause I am a Slayer fanatic.

The lyrics written by King and sung by Tom Araya match the song and music very well. The lyrics are about the evils of religion, how the belief of Jesus is the cause of pain, gore, war, and death and that Jesus Christ did not exist. Or I could have simply said the usual slayer lyrics. Overall cult has good lyrics that suit the song and match the usual lyrics of a Slayer song.

I am happy that I bought this album and also happy that it appears that Slayer is starting going back to there original roots and style of music. The most impressive song on the album by far is the only song on the album "Cult" with it's aggressive lyrics and heavy music it goes up there as one of my favorites (at least of the past 3 albums). If it were lost/stolen I would give up because it is a limited edition and in my small town there was only 6 left and that was it.

MexiChriS
    dez_cole you are one true slayer fan and im glad you realized the same thing i did. but it does sound like they went back to there older style alot more, but they always had it with them, so there really was no change. but i hope you picked up 2 copies because thats what i did....one to open and the other to save for ever. =) - MexiChriS -
    dez_cole
    SlAyTaNiC_CAC wrote: Cult ****en kicks ass and I'm so ****en pumped for the new cd AUGUST MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!!
    i got that same feeling