God Hates Us All review by Slayer

• Released: Sep 11, 2001
Slayer: God Hates Us All

When I first heard this cd, I hailed it as complete crap by Slayer. I thought this was worse than Diabolus In Musica which had a very different sound than their older work like Reign In Blood. But as I started to listen to it more and more, I started to accept it as a great album. It's definetly not on my best albums list, but this cd comes very close to my standards. As Slayers latest cd, when compared to all the other crap that came around and is still coming out right now, this cd is really awesome especially if you like bands that change their sound throughout their career. I've had so many people tell me that when compared to Reign In Blood or Seasons In The Abyss, this cd looks just plain horrible and unlistenable. The truth is, God Hates Us All and Diabolus In Musica are completely different from the rest of Slayer's work, but there's no reason that it's not good. This cd is similar to all the hardcore/heavy metal stuff like Killswitch Engage. The guitar playing is harsh and you can see a bit of Slayers thrash roots in there. If you like heavy metal along with War Ensemble and Hallowed Point from Seasons in the Abyss, chances are you'll get to appreciate this album instead of bash it straight away. Heavy guitar playing, blistering vocals, and a somewhat different style. The sound is so much better than the album before it. It's not better than Seasons In The Abyss, in fact it doesn't come close to it, but it's a standalone album.

I'm telling you this. The lyrics only sound good cause Tom Araya is singing them. The guy has awesome vocals no doubt about it, the lyrics are just as intense as their other albums. But the lyrics make for a real laugh, just reading them. This isn't Kerry King at his best, Slayer could have definetly looked ever the lyrics again. But then again, if you like brutal, murderous lyrics - the Slayer usual, you should be ok with it. One of the songs, Bloodline is in my opinion one of the best songs on this cd, the lyrics match only too well with the song. Lyrics are typical, but they match well with the songs which is why I can't say they're bad. They're nothing creative, but they sound good and that's all that matters.

Now, ignoring the fact that this cd is like Metallica's St. Anger, Slayer have done an awesome job with making the vocals sound good with the measly guitar playing. In fact, it sounds awesome. The highlights of this album are Exile, Bloodline, Disciple, and Burn In Hell (Burn In Hell is based on the South Of Heaven riff, but a completely different and interesting song). The other songs aren't that great but with the rest of the album are enjoyable - just listen to the brutality and lust put into each song. So in general, I thought some of the songs failed to have some catchy riffs and in fact sound good, so they didn't catch my attention. As a whole album, the songs aren't that great, but take some songs out and this would have been what people expected. Experimenting is always great, but this is where Slayer went wrong - their stuff sounds hardcore. Personally, I don't like hardocre lyrics, they're undistinguishable. This album is just brutal, I don't have anything to say. There's some traces of Reign In Blood and Seasons In The Abyss, but they mostly stick to their new sound. I love how the songs sound so good when they're not even anything difficult to play, although the solos still don't sound bad. You probably can't compare this to Slayers other work and other artists, I'd much more compare this to bands like Underoath and Mudvayne, although Slayer are unique. If it were stolen, I wouldn't make a giant deal out of it. I'm not the kind of guy who would waste twice the money on something that isn't a 9 or 10 out of 10. It's good, but it just doesn't quite meet my standards. There were too many songs that I didn't like. They just plain sucked. But then again, I'd probably get bored and want to listen to Bloodline again. I'd just download it. Again, if you like hardcore/heavy metal music and Slayers older work, go buy this cd.