Hell Awaits review by Slayer

• Released: Feb 28, 1985
Slayer: Hell Awaits

Slayer is my favorite band, so any discriminations against this is maybe because I love them. Well, Show No Mercy was horribly produced but contained some great songs (ex. Evil Has No Boundaries). This album was my first and favorite Slayer album, still is my favorite. Jeff and Kerry slice their way through Hell with their insane riffage and solos. Tom uses his fingers on this album! And, his screeches and howls that are now rare are accesible easily on this and Show No Mercy the most. Dave Lombardo manages to destroy his set (litterally, as stated in an interview from Kerrang!) and all the while retaining the power and thrash they are now know for.

My first impression, just like most, was "Holy shit!". These lyrics are grotesquely obvious and true, yet intelligent nontheless. King/Hanneman remains to be the greatest thrash writing duo in my opinion. My first hearing of the song Hell Awaits (1st track) and Hardening of the Arteries (7th/ last track) was that Tom could really show his chops.

This album stands as the first classic Slayer album. In my opinion, best Thrash/Speed Metal album ever! My impressions of the songs were: 01. Hell Awaits-This song is in it's entirety, one of the best off the album (third best I'd say, we'll get to the others later) and has some of the speediest vocals ever (Necrophobic wins there tho) 02. Kill Again-some homicide for the Slayer boys again, eh? This song contains a very crunchy and speedy riff that makes you wanna scream for your momma. This song is a good listen if you can make it without killing someone 03. At Dawn They Sleep-The second best song on the album in my opinion, I love vampires and this song manages to capture everything I love about them, and mix them with my favorite music style and band 04. Praise of Death-an overall amazing song, this is one of the songs I haven't yet to fully get into 05. Necrophiliac-A funny-ass intro at live shows, and a horribly sickening and brutal chorus, this song kicks your ass every listening 06. Crypts of Eternity-Easily the weak point of the album, but still one of Slayer's best, making this album a record of hits 07. Hardening of the Arteries-My favorite song on this album, it refers to war, going to hell and back, and violence. The songs "Catchy" riff and immense solos make for some heavy attacks on all the guy's parts. I love every bit of this album. I hate nothing about it, besides the fact that I never got to see the live of these songs v_V. If I lost this, I would reinact Kill Again, then I would reinact Necrophiliac...jk...not really.