Hell Awaits review by Slayer

• Released: Feb 28, 1985
Slayer: Hell Awaits

Hell Awaits is Slayer's 1985 follow-up to their debut Show No Mercy. It seems in this album, Slayer has truly found their sound that they will stick with: Fast, Dark, and Edgy. Everyone knows Slayer has influenced Metal greatley and this album proves it! Slayer uses a lot of different musical effects on the album. King and Hanneman tap their amazing solowork out and Lombardo speeds on his kit. This is some of Tom Araya's best vocals imo.

If you are a new Slayer listener, some of the lyrics you may find questionable. Personally, I belive Slayer's lyrics are amazing. Most others question the lyrics, such as on "At Dawn They Sleep", there are chants of KILL! KILL! KILL! I think this gives a stronger feeling to the music. Lyrics like on "Kill Again" work amazingly well with Tom Araya's singing style. On "Kill Again", Araya sports some of his best singing skills I've heard on most Slayer songs. The only complaint I have is that the lyrics become somewhat repetitive over time.

I think this album is amazeing! Either if you are just starting to listen to Slayer, like I am, or want to add it to your collection, it's a great buy. Blazing drums, brutal vocals, wicked guitar solos, and intense speed. That is how I would sum up this album. My favorite songs on the album would have to be the anthem "Hell Awaits" (which begins with terrifying backward tounges claiming "join us!"), and "Kill Again" for amazing vocalwork. The whole album is delicious, but these just stand out to me.

1llusionz
    Excellent album! It was reviewed a long time ago. metal_gods first reviewed it over a year ago.
    Squidge
    thegrungyhippie
    Squidge wrote: When I first listened to this album, I thought that I was going to hell... AND I LOVED IT!!!
    lmao! i felt the same way man!
    thegrungyhippie
    lmao! i felt the same way man!
    Mathbra
    my favorite album I dont think they should remaster it.. its great as it is!
    mohsensalehi
    hell yeah! Dude! I felt I'm falling into the hell
    thegrungyhippie
    Hell Awaits is being released on vinyl along with Slayer's other albums including Haunting the Chapel! They are all sick expensive though
    sic_riffs
    the only problem is the weak sounding guitars especially on hardening of the arteries the guitars are so quiet it sound sounds like jeff and kerry are tickling the strings. comparing to show no mercy (which was the most primitive by far) this album had the preciseness of accupuncture to the brain